LCD Summon Survival

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, May 19, 2020.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Series link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/summon-survival/

C1: Is this machine translation, or is the translator just really inexperienced?

I'm so very tired of self-absorbed loner MCs with trust issues :(

She is going about this in far too leisurely a manner. She wasted so much time that could have been used to get to her destination before the apocalypse started, or to acquire a weapon, or to acquire more and better supplies, or (permanently) lease a vehicle, or any number of things that would be more productive than staring at a wall for 12 hours before going to bed, only to wake up and stare at some scenery until zombies started showing up.

That aside, I wonder how she'll get summons. Killing? Contracting? Taming?

C2: "The woman rushed wildly, pulling on her pants." When did she take her pants off? And why?

I'm shocked she killed the woman like that. Normally, even the supposed loner MCs would try to save her, or try to leave her behind and wind up being forced to save her.

"Xu Yang suspected that this might be a passive such as Summoner abilities, which is currently unusable and didn’t pick it." Is "passive" a mistranslation, or is she seriously turning down one of the best types of skills for survival?

Why are her summons referred to as smurfs?

"After all, with the setting of the last days, guns are no longer difficult to obtain." This directly contradicts what was said before, and also neglects the difficulty of acquiring bullets, especially for a loner like herself.

I really, really wish the translator could understand that "him" and "his" absolutely never refer to a female person :/

"Xu Yang suddenly laughed, what was she thinking? Be the saviour? Ridiculous." Why is that ridiculous? Would it be so bad to have an actual goal? To try to make the world a better place? To use your second life better than your first?

"This is very special. You better not tell others, it will be very troublesome." Why would her ability bring more trouble than someone else's? Its not like she's a healer.

C6: This series could be good, but the quality of the translations is really dragging it down.

Lurking likes this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean even the summary on the NU page looks like mtl

jacobpaige and Lurking like this.
  3. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, most summaries do.

4. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, just the translator is inexperienced with the genre, but she enjoyed this series.
    She did said that its hard for her to translate cultivation and survival novels though.

jacobpaige likes this.
  5. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    Editor is a Japanese person, translator is Chinese. Maybe if they could have a native English speaker person as a proof reader it would works better.
    Editor has high score on toefl, but.., welll... maybe she thinks everyone knows what she has written.

It's better to ask on web than here lol.

C1.
    The issues of he is because of the... chinese he she it character, but I reread its fixed.

MC is just a normal college students, she has NO SPATIAL ability, so she's like, whatever I'll just take it easy anyway and decided to just loot a minimarket once the doomsday started. And a normal female college student has no way to obtain guns in society ruled by the laws, even she said she's not rich, unlike the mc of living in last day.
    So mc has nothing different from normal ordinary person, all she knew is that doomsday will appear.
    As if why she's sleeping, she hasn't slept as zombie, so she regarded is as a quality and precious time, more important than looking for supplies, since mc will know the estimation when a base will be built, and she's apathetic so she won't help base building.

6. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    @jacobpaige

Long post so I decided to spilt it into parts
    C2 Pulling on the trousers. She did pull on mc trousers, but she didn't pull it down, maybe the better term is,.. grabbing, she tried to pull down mc trousers though?

MC has bad experiences with someone in the last base on her last life, they were marked yet they entered the base, causing a lot of loss and people to die to learn of the truth. So mc just do the fastest option, that is to kill. As the tag says mc is apathetic, ruthless and anti social, she is nice to Lu Huixue cos she helped her, but that's just it. The group who helped her in her last life ended up abandaning her, so she just posted a notice on forum (think of bbs like weibo, 2chan or 4chan), and then she mind her own business.

Also the stories are still on going, and there's the contract on the tag. You can guess it something to do with summoning ability, and will be explained later.

2.The Author wrote the elemental summon are literally means little elf=smurf actually tl wondered if it would be better written as elf, but later summon has an actual elf, and Elemental Goddesses that the smurf worship. They are non humanoid except the Goddesses. The smurf is basketball sized.
    Maybe its better as gnome, but they're not humanoid....?

Because she couldn't obtain guns, in doomsday you cant just buy a gun except once you get into the base. MC is just ordinary female college students.

3. Her abilities are different from others, Abilities think she's normal Ordinaries since they can't feel her power fluctuation, thus, she's different. Its explained in the novel, that's why Lu Huixue asked if she's Ordinaries, and MC affirmed, before saying she has special Summon Abilities... Different person in last world often treated as outsiders, and classified as dangerous person.

Nope, the pasive is passive abilities, you know, like in game there is active abilites, and then there are passive abilites.

Maybe its better rewording as passive skill? Think of it as Persona/DeSu demon's racial skills.

She doesn't pick it NOW, because she can't use some things, like throwing passive skills. MC is hoarding points since she knew after she reached certain level she could gain more summon/skill

MC thinks that having to save people is ridiculous, because as a normal ordinary people in her last life, the Abilities are the one who fucked her up. Why she should bother to save others, who don't benefit her? Once again, mc is apathetic, selfish, and only (barely) cared for Lu Huixue. Would you be so kind and helped people you don't know just because you have power? Other have power, so why should she bother? They can do it on herstead. That's her way of thinking now. That's what mc thinks. She isn't an altruist. She doesn't care for others unless others BENEFIT her. Later, MC will help someone (who will bring her benefit), and this behavior shocked FL because she thinks MC would never help anyone!

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure how credit cards work in China, but assuming you can get same-day approval, she could do pretty much anything in that time frame.

Also, weapon doesn't have to mean gun. Honestly, with how hard it would likely be to acquire ammo after it stopped being produced, a gun is a pretty bad idea. She'd be much better off with a staff (fairly easy to learn to use, and has good reach) or (if she knows how to use one) a bow. Either of which can be easily purchased from a sporting goods/martial arts store.

Even if we assume that she couldn't get a credit card or other loan, she could still have rented a car for a day (and never returned it), driven to someplace out-of-the-way, and found a good spot to hunker down before the apocalypse started. And, since she'd have a car, she wouldn't need a spatial storage in order to bring lots of useful things around with her. This is especially true if she rented something large like a truck, an RV, or a van, but getting them on such short notice might be tricky.

After the second unmarked spoiler, I stopped reading this. For the parts that I read:

I wasn't complaining that she killed the woman. Just surprised by it. Its very unusual in that scenario.

Why not call them spirits? It's a very generic and common name for summons that can easily cover the vast majority of summoned beings. Smurfs on the other hand, are something else entirely.
    [​IMG]

8. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    ... after consideration, the tl decided to rename the smurf into "Fairy" but it wasn't western fantasy fairy :/

9. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't assume like that, which Asian college students have credit cards? At most they have debit card. Also most chinese didn't use credit card. They use Alipay and Wechat.
    Again, she has no money, and if you read in more chapters, she was a timid girl, and has no experience in combat from her past life. She has never fight zombies until her rebirth.
    Also she did bring knives! Did you skipped reading the part she purchased knife?

A car?
    ... why do you think MC waited and did nothing until Lu Huixue appears on ch 3?

And no, it isnt unmarked spoiler, its just the stories so far up to c6, I assumed you have read them. Does it count as one?

That's why tl stated that the story are unlike your usual doomsday story since the MC is just apathetic.

10. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly the tl thinks of using spirits, before realizing that... its not really correct? So she'll stick with fairy. Esp at beginning Xu Yang is comparing it with western version of fairy.

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    You should re-read what you wrote, or re-read those six chapters if you believe there were no unmarked spoilers.

A knife is a pathetic weapon, especially if you don't know how to use it. A staff is much, much more forgiving, especially against zombies.

Did you not read what I wrote? I said she should apply for the card, not that she'd already have it. I also said that I don't know much about how credit cards/debt work in China.

As for the car, I'll remind you that these were my thoughts as of chapter 1, at a time when we didn't know she couldn't drive. If we want to assume that I was psychic though, then we can replace "car" with "train/bus ticket before the apocalypse started". The point is simply that she could have been doing something productive to improve her odds of not being turned into a zombie again, and yet, she did nothing. Literally nothing.

12. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    Point is, you keep on pointing out chapters by chapters, before being all defensive and said they're spoilers.
    I thought you already read to LATEST translated chapters, thus to me they aren't spoiler. But that's fine if you thought othwerwise.
    Whatever.

Also MC literally didn't have much time to apply for a credit card, are you saying it isn't realistic?
    She went back 12 hours before Zombie Apocalypse started.
    If you followed that Bakarina spin off manga, where mc literally gets thrown just before shits happening, thats what happen to mc.

I think your approach is a little bit too wish fulfillment, while I think the author is trying her best to write a realistic college students in doomsday. Actually the author tended to write her novels with the mc as ordinary people/girl with no powers and no luck and surviving in harsh conditions. SumSur MC is written as college gurl orphan who lived in the dorm with 4 (!) room mates.

On ch 1, she did buy some non perishable foods and mineral water as much as she can buy and stuff on the backpack, and has moved out from unsave dormitory to other places. MC wants to be low key. She didn't want to be with other people, wanted to survive alone.

Anyway in the already out chapter 7, MC gets crazier.
    FL just lets MC has so much fun and she just watches.
    Also the classic I'm calculating people but turned out I'm the one who was being calculate instead- the trope

13. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    @jacobpaige
    The Translator has updated chapter 1, and here is the Author's mouthful of disclaimers in the first chapter
    Author:
    This is a new story, please accept, comment, read…
    Bouncing~
    Please read this carefully~.
    I’ll start the article on May 1st and try to work on it daily. If you like it, please bookmark it.
    If you don’t like it, click exit.
    No quarrelling, no scolding nor insulting. This novel is fiction, do not plagiarize.
    The main character is cold-blooded and ruthless, if you want to call her a “beast”, you can do it in your heart, because if you called her a “beast”, then for you it means she’s unsalvageable~
    CP is the main character X the Virgin Mary, but she isn’t actually true Virgin Mary. But you don’t have to curse, the protagonist already does it for you anyway.
    I don’t want to see the cold-blooded main character on this “World Ending Crisis” setting, where the setting of the protagonist was scolded by Pure Hearted Virgin B*tches. People, save your online compassion elsewhere.
    This is important, to avoid any unpleasantness in the future.
    Love you guys! I hope every one of you who has decided to continue reading this will be happy! So please, read the ones you like that suits your taste. After all, reading a novel is all about having fun, so don’t continue if you got angry! ~

14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    @XiaoWenTian I have read up to the most recently translated chapter listed on this site. Even with that, there were still spoilers in what you wrote. Also, you're being super aggressive about this for some reason, and I just don't see any reason why I should have to deal with you, so I won't be responding to you anymore.

15. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    You can just block me. and close the thread. I just read that you were also being super agressive to me, and nit picking every single things, so I apologize if you think how I write sounded agressive, since I thought your reading comprehension is low, thus I tried to explain it step by step. I didn't think you will get offended, so... shrug.
    By the way, that's neither me, or the translator, or the editor who wrote the post before, but the original author. You felt offended? Take the author's advice and dropped the novel.