What sup with Korean Novels and the protagonist main weapon being a spear?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ArtOfDivine, May 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ArtOfDivine

ArtOfDivine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tons of Korean novels have the male lead using a spear as a main weapon

2. Sea Dog

Sea Dog 『Rabid』『Mad Dog』

Reading List:
    Link
    swords are overrated?

vlue, Blitz, Chrono Vlad and 12 others like this.
  3. sancloud

sancloud Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like Chinese novel protagonists always having a sword if they don't use a *hot weapon.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. readerX

readerX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than KR novel you should ask translator.
    Could it be new trend for translators pump KR novel with spearman MC?
    Like shampoo challenge or sailor moon challenge on twitters. :ROFLMAO:

AsianSnorlax likes this.
  5. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you mean. If they don’t use a cold weapon then why have a sword? since it’s a cold weapon.

6. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe some kind of cultural thing, like how Japanese MCs always make a katana in isekai.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take any KR MC that uses fists/weapons over one that only utilizes undead/summons/magic to fight. :blobhero:

P.S. As others have already pointed out, swords are more romanticized whereas spears (and their variations) were more widely used war weapons and arguably, more effective.

8. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be practical, spear is the best weapon. Period. If give choice between spear/glaive/swordstaff and sword, I will choose spear. When you are noob in melee weapon, choosing sword can cut your life short.

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they probably got tired of all the swords from CN and JP novels so they wanted to stick out?

That and a spear is actually a more practical weapon than a sword. I mean you are aware that if your opponent has any armor, swords

[​IMG]

Effectively, swords became nothing more than half assed hammers and very short spears.

Which brings the question, why use them over a hammer or a real spear?

A spear is a weapon that lets you aim at weak points from distance while also usable as a staff short distance, it was the ideal war weapon really.

10. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to live a long time and have very little experience with weapons, choose a spear. Easy to learn, hard to master.

As many have said, swords are used so often because they are cool. Use a sword in battle and you will die a pathetic death.

No sword-wielding MC won a fight because their weapon was a sword, they won because their plot armor was so thick the enemy couldn't even touch them. ;)

Edit: I believe Korea has more famous spear-wielders too. Don't quote me on that, but I do remember they have at least one hero-level figure who used a spear.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the first KR novel with spear MC i read is EER and it is kinda popular, so..

12. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason swords are so prevalent historically (and, thus, in fiction) is because they were easy to carry around on your hip as a sidearm. They were never the most effective weapon, just the most handy. That being said, they still are pretty sexy and heroic-looking as the MC's weapon.

13. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more wanting of a bowman protagonists in web or light novels. The only ones I remember are Heavenly Jewel Change, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, and Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu. It's rare to find a protagonist who mains archer class.

Hyoketsu likes this.
  14. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe in large groups e.g. greek phalanx, spear and shield is the best combination (ignoring the roman scutum and gladius combo). For 1v1 I believe swords are better because they are easier to wield and more flexible.

15. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    U can parry, defend, attack from afar and close range, knock them out, attack many at once, throw it, buy time or even use it to escape.

16. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Spear is the best weapon for groups. Individually they are still good weapons, but there are other weapons that compete rather easily with them.

17. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One on one still spear rules. Sword need experience and technique. If both have the same skill experience, sword will lose. With both have shield, sword will lose. You don't hunker down with sword, but with spear, you will be able to with shield. With armor, spear will win, you have a long staff to bash, while sword, small sword, you need to get close and risk shield bashed. Unless both fighter have super powered body, still spear will win, if both have equal amount of of skill.

You can try it in real life using long staff and long stick sword. Without exceptional skill in sword wielding, even noob spearman can kill you easily.

18. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With no shields, a guy with a spear has a large advantage over a swordsman in 1v1 combat. Giving the swordsman a shield allows him to close the distance, giving him the advantage instead. Spear and shield combo is mediocre in 1v1 combat regardless of what it's facing.

All of this is largely ignoring armor, of course. The better armor becomes, the more useless both spears and (especially) swords become, and weapons such as poleaxes begin to be necessary.

Nimroth likes this.
  19. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right, i meant swords are better in combination with a shield. It's just too easy to deflect a spear held with one hand with both sword and shield.

20. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Weird, there are only two spear user I from I am the Monarch and Second Coming of Gluttony both are war based so spear are practical. Spear are more advantageous on large scale battles than swords. And most KR novels tend to like war battles. JP and CN mostly focus on 1v1dramatic figths.

KageTokage likes this.