Resolved Translation Release Pacing?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by 4noki, May 22, 2020.

1. 4noki

4noki Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo translator team here. I started translating a new novel (each chapter around 2k words give or take some) and have been releasing one chapter per day.

I'm not sure about doing 1ch/day for the entire novel in part because I don't know if I'll keep the speed up and in part because I don't know if the readers will lose interest and just decide to wait a long time before checking the site for updates so they can binge (since I need external validation lol just kidding, but comments and stuff are encouraging for me to translate)

What schedules for release have worked the best for you all and why? Any advice?

c.decora, Xenody, nyamachi and 2 others like this.
  2. number 999

number 999 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 per day is already very good.

c.decora, Vesica, 4noki and 2 others like this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I write at a pace of 3k-5k per week lol.

2k/day is already quite good. I don't think that anyone will blame you for posting once every other day.

Updating daily will of course attract more readers but slowing down doesn't mean that they will disappear. You will just have more varied timelines in which your chapters are visited.

Vesica and 4noki like this.
  4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit, one chapter a day. You are god:blobpopcorn_cool:. I'll just upload whenever I can. Sometimes one chapter a day. Sometimes 3 chapters a week. Or maybe one chapter a month. :aww:

5. Kiriko

Kiriko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once a day is great but a lot of translators end up with burn out from constantly needing to translate to keep up with releases. Do whatever works for you, but if you're starting out, a chapter a day will definitely attract new readers. Personally I stick with once a week because it gives me time to keep up with RL stuff, but if you can maintain the pace, two to three releases a week should be more than enough to maintain interest. Depends on how popular the series itself is as well, but that depends on the readers and your choice of work.

Old_Man, Vesica and 4noki like this.
  6. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1/day is already fast. Just do whatever is comfortable. There will always be some readers who will just wait to stack chapters before they start reading, nothing you can do about that. It's better to start slow and speed up than start fast and slow down though. But the thing is, if a novel doesn't click with readers then it doesn't matter if it's 1/day or 10/day, it still won't be popular. I've seen the numbers from WW and volare in the past to attest to this.

On the other hand, if it's popular, the readers will still be there even if there's a long break between chapters. Look at Tales of Demons and Gods. One chapter a month, yet ever time it gets a lot of views. Conversely, I know a novel that started out with over 100 chapters on launch and immediately released 2/day, and still had a dismally small readership.

So it's best imo to just do whatever is comfortable for you.

Vesica likes this.
  7. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    My advise is don't worry too much about meeting the quota for the day. That kind of mindset will burn you out fast especially when you do it for free. Just do it at your own pace and take as much time as you needed.

8. DaikyunTL

DaikyunTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't release 1 chapter a day. I used to do the same, but you'd just end up burning yourself out after 6 months. My advise is to slow down your release schedule. Have 5-10 chapter in store, so when you need to take a break, you can still keep uploading.

2 chapters a week would be enough