Is it wrong of me to avoid Yaoi novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ArtOfDivine, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtOfDivine

ArtOfDivine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just avoid novels with the yaoi tag. I do not know if I am missing any epic novels this way

girisuherman, Jiggy and Ha-Ha like this.
  2. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    no, it's not wrong.....it's like smoking, better never try since you don't know if you get addicted even knowing is bad....so it's just a matter of your choice if you want try or not

i don't read them simply because i dislike BL.

3. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Some of them don't have yaoi scenes. Alright? If you're looking for awesome reads, just try out the non-fluffy ones. There are really good ones out there and translators usually warn their readers if there's a smut scene ahead. It's not wrong for you to avoid them, it's just, try it out if you're curious. I'll even hand over a list of really good ones without any yaoi scenes to you! There are really cool and serious novels! Mystery, crime, QT, fantasy, etc.

Raebit, Japorea, Himawari and 2 others like this.
  4. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is similar to how some people avoid anything with the yuri tag.
    Nothing to be ashamed of since everyone has their own preferences.

5. suza751

suza751 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do. I Don't care, im just A little grossed out by it. To each there own its not for me. That being said harem series are a huge turn off for me. I never bothered with yuri until reading the manga Citrus. No one should judge you on your tastes and boundaries.

Sindori, Trihere, Raebit and 3 others like this.
  6. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong with avoiding Yaoi tags. Most novels with that tag let the BL consume them and turn to the dark side. What you need is an action, comedy, etc. novel that happens to have Shounen Ai elements.

It's just like how many authors fail at making a bad-ass female protagonist. They try to make a female MC bad-ass, when they should have just made a bad-ass MC who happens to be female.

The supporting elements should not consume the main point (now that I think of it, harem novels are especially guilty of this).

whitespade, kenar, Raebit and 3 others like this.
  7. Buffalo_QJ

Buffalo_QJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    U think u can avoid the yaoi by simply looking at the tags?! Foolish! The yaoi experts have hidden the BL in the novel while excluding the yaoi tag and making the summary vague! You are bound to fall into the trap!

AJiggaboo, Laraenna, Raebit and 2 others like this.
  8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you missing any great novels? Sure. How the heck could you not be, when you cut out an entire genre of possibilities?

Is that a bad thing? Eh. Not really. In the nihilistic sense of it not really mattering whether you miss any particular novels, great or not. So what if you never read a particular novel? Life goes on. Or something.

10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the stories are full of toxic relationships or kinky **** so I don't really think that it is wrong to avoid them.

There are of course good ones like Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil but it is a genre typically written by and for the fans. So it isn't made to be very friendly towards straight male readers.

11. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep you definitely miss out on tons of Epic Novels but that's alright I do too. I've set my release filtering to only show yaoi and shounen-ai and I basically don't read any hetero novels. I occasionally read yuri and shoujo-ai too but nah been years since last read BG.

Just like I have my preferences, you do too. So there's nothing wrong with you avoiding yaoi. But I can say you're missing out on some good shit.

12. Akatsukicloudred

Akatsukicloudred Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it’s not wrong for you to avoid yaoi. You might be losing out on some really good novels but if it makes you uncomfortable you don’t have to read yaoi. I personally have genres that I don’t like but sometimes I will “force” myself to read them, just to give it a chance and sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised to find out that I actually really enjoyed reading that novel so I would definitely recommend you to try a BL novel, maybe you can start of light by reading on that isn’t really super focused on the romance part but more on the plot and etc?

13. ce05

ce05 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No i avoid them too. I read those novels in parts for wish fulfillment, it is certainly not my wish to have a steamy relationship with another guy. If i want to read a novel where my purpose is not in part wish fulfillment, i might try them, but so far i have better things to do.

14. John Matheus de J. L. Reis

John Matheus de J. L. Reis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nop, usually I avoid them too.

ainnuriz likes this.
  15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    And something to note is that for whatever reason BL novels in general have even worse translation than the average novels (mostly poorly edited MTL). Though it could just be that since I've tried too few my sample size is small...

But anyway, the highly recommended ones, like quickly wear the face of the devil (just look at the damn title, worst translation ever) are MTL so...

That said most novels are trash so reading has always been a mix of killing time and looking for hidden gems, regardless of the genres

Himawari likes this.
  16. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it wrong of me to avoid yaoi since i dont like yaoi?
    is it wrong of me to avoid food that i don't like since i don't like it?
    then, what if the people said that the said food are good. But it still had my disliked food as the ingredients. Yes, its not all nor majority of it, but it will still affect the taste.
    Thats only a question you can answer.
    how much is worth it, how much is not

17. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to do the same. Then, I was bored with reading the same-old-same-old and decided to check. So, I picked one with an interesting title and synopsis. Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil

That one is actually worth the read. There are a couple of Arcs that are less stellar, naturally. However, it being written in that Quick Transmigration format ensures that even those don't go on too long.

Overall, though, unless you're specifically looking for smut then most are written like any Romance genre. It being male-centrist characters just means that there's more action and less romance.

The Legendary Master’s Wife is a good example of the above. It's actually quite decent, but does have smut. It's a fair bit into the story before it happens, then it's more of a "chase" for if the MC lets it happen, before becoming resigned to being the bottom and resigned. It's more of a comedy.

Ha-Ha and Fran.2424 like this.
  18. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone: It's simple like that.

Westeller likes this.
  19. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    What is wrong with Avoiding a Tag? There is a 100% Chance that there is a Novel with Yaoi tag that is a Treasure (maybe even to Yaoi Hater), but why should this Bother you? You dont just read a Novel cause the Story is good. You read a Novel with tags that you Like (Or without tags that you Hate/Dislike) if the Story is Good. If the Novel has your Liked Tags then even if the Story isn't very good you can read it to Kill Time.
    There are surely a few Good Novels with Tragedy Tag, but for me a Story where a Character is builde up for 100 Chapters only to end up Dead to Help the MC Grow up or cause it is Normal that one Character dies if the Novel has Action and is Realistic.

20. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean i avoid harems. I know I'm probably missing out on some AMAZING novels, but like, I don't want to read them regardless.

I'm a fan of yaoi and I know its not for everyone

whitespade, Ha-Ha and Shem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.