Subgenres

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Silver Snake, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    What's a subgenre? Well that should be obvious, a genre within a genre. Like how fantasy has the urban, high, and dark subgenres. Today, I'm here to ask about your favorite or what you deem as the best anime of its subgenre.

For me, I've recently discovered two anime: Outlaw Star, and Slayers. Both are anime that I've longed for for a long time. And I think the specific subgenres they belong to, or the ones I will designate them as are adventure; space adventure, and fantasy adventure.

I think adventure denotes a lighter tone, but not so much as to directly call it a comedy. There can still be dark moments and stakes in the adventure genre, but for the majority of the time, the tone is light.

I've liked other space and fantasy anime, but I thought they were too dark or serious, like gundam unicorn or FMA (we all know about the fucked up shit that went down in FMA), so much so to the point that I couldn't enjoy it. And anime with the best drama (gintama, school rumble) have comedy that just isn't funny to me, so it feels like a slog to get through.

I have a hankering for anime with a light enough tone most of the time to keep me engaged, but I also like some serious moments to get me more invested.

I guess I'm also asking what's your favorite kind of story?

Arash1 and DeAlifia like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think those that left most impression on me are reality based ones but with fantasy elements, basically thing like 'Hellsing' or 'Trinity Blood' or 'Blood Blockade Battlefront', also, isekai anime that include games like 'Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo?' and 'No Game No Life' :hmm:

Arash1 and Silver Snake like this.
  3. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    Slice of life ,no harem what ever anime it is

Silver Snake likes this.
  4. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't know how to describe it but... something like 'The devil is a part timer' or 'Barakamon' or 'Kimetsu no Yaiba' I guess.

Arash1 and Silver Snake like this.
  5. CherryMxTx

CherryMxTx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Favourite kind of story...... mainly character driven stories with great plot. Example Monster, Kaiji, Mushishi, House of Five Leaves, Oregairu, Mo Dao Zu Shi, etc.

6. Draakon

Draakon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Full Metal Panic is the best anime of Real Robo subgenre.
    And I think that first and second season (Fumoffu), is what you seek.
    Then author went into heavy alcoholic depression and went full drama. And then he recovered a bit and people started to resurrect...

7. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The harem genre. Heck, a harem story that has all of the following is a rarity: The lead girl is a childhood friend and is the bustiest of the harem girls. She is also the first girl that kisses, bangs, confesses, and get pregnant by the guy (the first for all of those 4), and is the girls the guy spends most of his time trying to get romantic with. As such, she is the girl given the most fan service moments and the one that is groped the most, be it consensual or sexual assault played for laughs.