Asking about licensed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hyumaru, May 27, 2020.

1. Hyumaru

Hyumaru Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hallo i'm new member here can i wanna ask about legality web novel ? i've been curious about legalty for doing translation, i've seen a lot web novel translating licensed novel with thwy own native language. What i wanna ask is :
    -Is that okay to translate licensed novel or not (licensed) to your own native language for your website?
    -and if you can't do thay, how to get licensed novel and legaly translate so you can monetize the novel like wuxia or webnovel (they said web novel is offspring qidian)
    -some people said If you wanna translate it to your own native you can ask straight to author if there's no problem than you can do it, but how to reach them?
    -where can you find the legality about novel translation?
    -did NU buy the licensed novel to? I think so fae NU is like dictionary for novel and there's a lot novel licensed and not in here i just wanna know did NU also reach the author to ask for permission or they bought the licensed to?
    -and how about scrap or crawling the web, i've seen a few web doing that, is that okay? Well they scrap the web and change the translation with they own style but i think it's not good idea, what do you guys think? Even though some people said it's okay to scrap as long as you don't monetize it? Wth is it really okay? Maybe they want make a lot traffic on their web with scrap but i think it's agains the gods (the laws i mean )
    Please enlighten me all the senior who started cultivating in web novel since ancient era

Thanks
    My regrads, newbie

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is absolutely illegal to distribute a translation without the express authorization of the copyright holder for the original work, whether that's the author or a publisher. Some of the translations you see around here are licensed and legal, most aren't. Translating without authorization is just a risk fans take to share the stories they love with people who can't read them.

I advise against contacting an author for permission to translate unless you have the financial wherewithal to propose a fair arrangement. In other words, don't do it 'cause you ain't rich, bro.

Novel Updates does not and has never translated anything. This is just a directory of ongoing translations.

aaaand...

Scraping content off other websites and rehosting it yourself is not only illegal, it's just plain rude.

3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    why are newbie so chunni?
    and no, NU is and index and it's keep track of translated novel, licensed or not....and doesn't post any of those novels on the site.

4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well from what I know.

You can translate as long as the author or the publisher doesn't send a legal notice to your web, blog etc..

If you want to legalize then you better hope the author doesn't want money, cause if they do they would ask exorbitantly seeing how you will be pooling a lot more readers than his local country.

Pirate sites are scavengers, they reach out to the much bigger audience of "free loaders", we read any novels that have credit barrier or pay wall in pirate sites...cause we are po..no because we don't want to spend money when we can get it for free.

If you want to do your own translation then be sure to host it on a good web, and keep in touch with your reader base constantly to co-ordinate and slow down the pirate sites. If your web is more easily accessible, free and higher quality then aggregators don't matter much. Iguess.

Fulminata likes this.
  5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    So the most important stuff has already been covered.
    As Westeller said Fans do translation and take the risks because they love the material. If you were to get into translating on your own this is how you would start. Foreign companies will no longer deal with lone translators like they did at the beginning. Which I believe even then they barely did if at all. You would need to join under the umbrella of a already established translating site or attempt to create a new site which would host many translations and translators. It would be very very very difficult to create a site with enough bargaining power to attract a publisher and convince them in selling you a license to translate their works at this point in time. You'd need alot of start up money.

All this being said, if you were to just pick something and translate without licensing you wouldn't be sued for loss of profits or anything.
    It is possible but to this point it has never happened to my knowledge in the webnovel translation scene. If the publishers wish to give the license to translate it to someone then you will get 1 of 2 response. Either a Cease and Decest notice or if you have quality translations you may be given the opportunity to join the site with the license to translate as their translator. The 2nd scenario is rare and less likely. You could also just translate something and bring it to a big site like Wuxiaworld and if you have quality translations and enough of a following, if you were willing to join under them and sign their contract they may be willing to negotiate the license for you. Of course it would become their novel and their license but they are good people over there, you would be the translator if done in this context assuming you didn't later drop the ball big time. This being said WW already has a process for this. You translate in the WW Forums without a license and if again it is popular enough, quality is high enough and they can get the license for it they will bring you and the novel onto the main site.

If you get a notice to stop, listen. This isn't the wild west anymore and if you refuse it could lead to real consequences.

6. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, and people like me who freq. fan translation sites are well aware that it is piracy. However, if you are going to justify going to pirated sites at all, at least have a subscription to an official site (Crunchyroll, Funimation, J-Novel Cluber, VRV, etc.).

7. Hyumaru

Hyumaru Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you put the subcription of the official sit on your web? subcription and referrals, is there any different between those two?

8. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean with your 2 sentences there? While I am a pirate in the sense of frequenting fan translation sites, at least I give back a bit to the industry through subscribing to legal sites.

imK, Slayerwolfx2 and Hyumaru like this.
  9. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never heard of them. Would you kindly tell me who they are and what translations they host?

10. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Pronounced like "nerve", they are a sister site to Crunchyroll*. They have both Eng. and Japanese languages. They have different sections/channels: Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, HIDIVE (Streaming platform for Sentai Filmworks titles), Boomerang (channel for classic cartoons), CARTOON HANGOVER (another classic cartoons channel), NICKSPLAT (Classic Nick cartoons).

AFAIK, VRV has the entire CR and HIDIVE library though I could be wrong. If they do not, VRV has at least most of them! My guess is maybe something like 90-something%.

*VRV, Crunchyroll, and Rooster Teeth are all owned by a media company called Otter Media which is part of WarnerMedia which is owned by AT&T. This puts Crunchyroll under the same media empire, though by a different branch, as CNN and Turner Classic Movies.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    AMissingLinguist and imK like this.
  11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, so they're a anime site, and not a novel site? Talk about confusion, no wonder I never heard of them.