Discussion Lord of the Mysteries

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by maevalily, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maevalily

maevalily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A post was up earlier asking about what “novel is in your heart”. It was very easy for me to pick Lord of the Mysteries.

I’ve been a bookworm my entire life and despite all the amazing novels I’ve read, it was this translated novel that I chose and I’m hoping that more people get to know it :) (seeing that there were only 500+ reviews for the novel on novelupdates I felt that this book deserved more attention)

This is what I have to say about it (any other LotM fans out there, please go ahead and give out your thoughts too, let’s get some more fans out there so that more people develop an instinctive fear of monocles!):

Just beyond amazing, never knew a story could be so immersive and concepts to be able to push my imagination to stretch in such ways! The first couple chapters are rocky, but it very quickly becomes a work of art. Compared to all the English novels I’ve read, this still ranks number 1 for me.

It helps that the translation quality is amazing! The vocabulary used and sentence structures make you forget this is translated.

It’s coming to an end so I’ve re-read it twice and each read opens up my eyes to how storylines start developing before I was even aware, the immaculate details I’ve missed, the ingenious foreshadowing..

To be honest I could go on forever :blobrofl: but yeah, to anyone who hasn’t, please give it a go, it deserves a read.

2. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a weird patience when it comes to reading novels. Collectively I've read over thousands of chapters however I've never been able to sit down and read one novel for a thousand chapters. Some novels tire me the moment I read them, others make me give up at around 400 chapters, some I've reached maybe the 600s or 800s but then I stop and don't return to it. Back then 1k chapters was impossible to me.

Lord of the Mysteries was the first novel that broke this trend. I was so enraptured, so invested in this story that I didn't know what to do with myself. I found myself falling into a quagmire that I do not want to escape, a lot of the chapters had me on the edge of my seat, and many a day have I found myself wanting no- craving for more. I have followed this novel since its early days and I don't regret it one bit.

Borrowing some parallels to cultivation novels I guess this work was the one that helped me break through the bottleneck of the 1k chapters. Nowadays 100 seems too little to me, 200 chapters are pretty OK and 400 chapters are a decent amount. 1k is still pretty high for me but now I dont shy away from them if I get interested in the plot.

Anyway back to LoTM the world building is so well thought out and consistent. It's very solid and I haven't found a plot hole from this. (not like I've tried to look for them) but the thing is the consistency is amazing. I've reread this story from the beginning till the latest translated chapter about 3 times over. The magical feeling when you understand what's going on at the beginning of the novel due to your knowledge of the world's rules from future chapters is crazy! This is what I call world building! An entire system of its own given life and an entire history that we know little of that gets slowly revealed to us.

I am deep into this novel and by God do I swear I have fallen in love with it.

maevalily likes this.
  3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing that I don't like about it is how the way it ended, the author is famous for finishing his story prematurely, even his cfans complained it to him, but still, the Author really like to rush the ending of his story.

4. Shaiyamine

Reading List:
    Link
    wait I thought this book was still being written by the author? It still hasnt ended right?

5. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Muspon and maevalily like this.
  6. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup ended we have to wait for 2022 for its sequel with different MC.

7. Shaiyamine

Reading List:
    Link
    QAQ awhhh man
    damn sequel with different MC? I dont think my heart can handle that hahahaha.... I have a HUGE bias towards Klein
    I have a hard time following sequels if the character I have my heart on isn't like one of the main cast
    Im gon crie

8. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems to be a issue find a good novel and it gets axed,dropped,slow translation or goes bad at least mid way.

I was about to say really Qidian hording novels and a slave contract.

9. maevalily

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobmelt: Yup yup, it never gets old and it amazes me all the time! I try getting people to read it all the time!

Shaiyamine likes this.
  10. SifaV6

SifaV6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the biggest hurdle for this novel is the slow start which killed a lot of potential readers.

Also, because it is published on webnovel, it doesn't appear on NU's release list. Hence it doesn't get as much attention.

maevalily, animefan217 and Muspon like this.
  11. maevalily

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, every time I re-read it I definitely felt that the beginning of the novel was very rocky and so I made sure to tell everyone that that wasn’t the quality they should be expecting although I’m happy the quality of the writing got good real fast! It wasn’t the gradually getting better kind so at least the wait wasn’t too long

12. blazelombax

blazelombax Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true, I found this novel in an aggregator site.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    you know this cat wanna say nah~
    but ok will pick up later~
    so thank you I guess?

maevalily likes this.
  14. JFallDesu

JFallDesu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gosh I love this novel, I tried to make my brother and a friend read LOM, but they just don't want to get through the early chapters :'(
    My brother just read the manhwa and said nah, not for me
    My friend read 10 chapters and said, nah not my sauce.
    I tried to convince my friend through a lenghty big chunk of words, only to redirect him to reverend insanity in the end... (He always asks me for novel recommendation since I made him enter the world of novels)
    True sadness..

maevalily likes this.
  15. maevalily

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no :blob_teary: that is truly so sad, they don’t know what they’re missing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.