Question Novel Updates for originals?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by seba11998, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seba11998

seba11998 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd just like to know if there's any website/directory like Novel Updates but for original novels

2. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble Hub

Go to the bottom of the novel updates pages and you will find links to scribble hub.

AliceShiki, Mr.Tiemos and Sabruness like this.
  3. seba11998

seba11998 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble Hub Is not a directory. It's just a website for authors to post their own stories

4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Goodreads? Wattpad?

Sabruness likes this.
  5. seba11998

seba11998 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same thing, they are not directories. They only show novels hosted in their site. Nothing like NU where you can find translated novels from almost every known website

6. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I think it's because originals are chaotic and a search directory would be worthless when many get dropped left and right.

And there's not many I guess, maybe even fanfics are more.

c.decora, Sabruness and Illisaide like this.
  7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as i'm aware, there are NO EN original novel directories like NU. Every site i've seen is a hosting library. As @Zeusomega said, EN originals are a different kettle of fish to translated novels and a pure search directory would be quickly rendered obsolete and worthless due to the more chaotic nature of originals.

8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do remember a site trying to do it years and years ago, but I don't remember the name.

I do however think it is vaguely doable at least if the sites provide some type of RSS feed of updated chapters and so on. I don't think dead or discontinued books affects NU as a site and wouldn't affect an english web novel tracker either. Trying to categorize it might be a bit harder.

9. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think wlnupdates has section for original release.

GDLiZy likes this.
  10. one eye

one eye Aspire to became NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Top web fiction

Incoder1000 likes this.
  11. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are several sites that people upload their own creations to.
    As mentioned by @one eye TWF has a list of some of the most popular ones.

One of the main reasons why NU came into existence was that many people choose to translate on their own site and simply let NU link to them.
    While theoretically a site that does the same for originals, there are several problems with that, most of which originated from the fact that stories that get translated are usually pre-selected, meaning unless they have a certain amount of success in their country of origin, they would not be translated.

1. Original stories do no have that, meaning any site that wants to list all of them would have at least a few hundred times more novels than NU.
    2. The average quality of stories on said site would be way lower than those on NU (since every Tom, Jack & Harry would post their second grade writing assignment), making it way less rewarding to search for a hidden gem.
    3. The chance of stories getting dropped entirely or plunging in quality increases, because said stories rarely manage get translated, since the translators usually are aware of such issues.
    4. ...

In conclusion, while it would be a good idea in theory, having a site like Top Web Fiction that lists novels people love enough to vote for is already the best possible outcome I can think of.

Sabruness likes this.
  12. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    wlnupdates

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Wlnupdates as mentioned is the only directory like NU which I have seen that lists original novels.

Uhm, isn't that what reviews and ratings are for? NU has that. Listing all of them isn't an issue if there are possibilities to filter like NU does.

The problem with sites like top web fiction/web fiction guide is that to even get users to vote for you, you have to pass their review process. Which is fine in itself. There is nothing wrong with filtering certain requirements to insure quality. Except, that review process is subject to the whims of the owner, not an unbiased process. So effectively, it's more of the owner's favorite novel list and people can vote between his favorite novels than a true directory where people vote for what they like.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  14. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What exactly is a original novel?

15. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    http://webfictionguide.com/

16. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like a web novel but written by the author and not translated. So in japan, those novels web novels we read are original novels, but here they are translated novels.

novels written in english here would be original novels.

animefan217 likes this.
  17. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I were to recommend you 3 books to read, you might try them a bit, before deciding whether you like them or not.
    If I were to recommend you 300 books instead, you'd probably toss the list away after trying 4-5 of them, because:
    a) your time is limited and
    b) unless you enjoy the majority of my recommendation, you simply won't bother looking at the rest.

It's like one of those casting shows on TV. All candidates fall into one of three categories:
    1. They are talented enough to have a chance.
    2. They absolutely suck and/or are disgusting, so that the judges can tear them down.
    3. They have some sort of circumstance that allows the judges to be seen in a positive light, thus boosting the ratings.

The judges you see on TV only see a fraction of those who show up for the audition, because all those mediocre or bad ones are already filtered out by then.

The difference of NU that has an limited selection of novels others found "translation-worthy" and a site that lists ALL original novels on the internet is about the same as using your e-mail program with or without spam-filter.
    Sure, one of those "Nigerian Princes" might really send you money, but most are just a waste of time.

18. G36

G36 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does nobody mention royalroad ?.It may not be exactly like NU but it has a huge collection of original novels,most of it having same genre as NU novels(isekai,comedy,wuxia) The Stories on there is also better than NU because it is originally written in English.It classifies novels based on ratings so anything above 4 stars is absolutely good(due to post above mentioning quality)try you won't regret it

chiakiss likes this.
  19. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    OP wanted original WN directory not WN hosting site

20. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    But recommendations aren't simple like that. We have preferences in tastes, what we are in the mood for and etc. Plus what makes NU stand out is you can see when releases are updated and which ones get updated often. If I wanted recommendations, there is LF forum for that. But generally how I pick out novels on NU is see which ones title sounds good, which ones I see often, then click the review and ratings and judge based on that.

Or 4. They have connections or favoritism. There are plenty of talented people who get turned down simply because they made have made enemies in the industry or they don't want them to outshine their picks or other such reasons. The entertainment industry isn't as pretty as we may like to believe.

Not to mention there are plenty of bad calls all around because of stuck up tastes of the auditors.

For example:
    Gone with the wind = got turned down by 40 publishers
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz = got turned down so much the author kept a journal of failures of rejection letters
    Twilight = rejected 14 times
    Moby Dick = rejected dozens of times for being too long and old fashioned
    Harry Potter = rejected 10 times, only reason it got green lit was because one of the publisher agent's daughter nagged them to give it a try

If you want a good top list, it has to set certain requirements like X amount of chapters, X amount of releases per month, maybe grammar requirements or etc. Things that are quantifiable. A top list based on the whims of the owner is virtually useless. Because if they don't like a genre they can simply not let it pass review. Hell when they follow that kind of practices how are we sure the top list is even fair? For all we know they manipulate votes behind the scenes. Of course any site can do that, even NU. But at the very least NU doesn't play favorites.

And again, this is what ratings are for. Personally I don't pick up novels with ratings of below 4 for example on NU.

If 100+ people rate something over 4, that has over 100 chapters released, it should automatically be at least at a certain quality level.

Because royalroadl isn't a directory, it hosts novels. So it is more like webnovel and scribblehub than NU.

GDLiZy and Fishy_MC_FishMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.