Resolved some chinese translated word i cant figure out

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by wantek, Jun 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so, like the title said i read some novel that contain words like eating melon,white lotus, green tea and "something" moonlight.

anyone know what is the meaning? i only know the melon ones

2. dreannhirt

dreannhirt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read somewhere that “green tea” describes a fake or two-faced woman. It’s often followed by bi***, so the complete phrase should be “green tea bi***.

wantek and Creativity53 like this.
  3. Creativity53

Creativity53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    white moonlight is when someone has a memory and desire for a person, but they can't be with that person or aren't with that person
    white lotus is someone who is innocent or they seem to be nice on the outside, but are rotten in the inside

someone correct me if I'm wrong

wantek likes this.
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    White lotus is something like those sluts that acts like they're so pure and innocent. Green tea is green tea bitch

wantek likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Eating melon" is the same thing as grabbing popcorn in English. It means that the speaker sees something that they find entertaining, so they're going to sit on the sideline and enjoy the show. Usually it's in reference to a mess someone else is involved with.

You're describing someone who pretends to be a white lotus. A white lotus is someone who is properly nice, and kind, and innocent (and a little stupid). It's actually used more in television and film than in literature.

6. Creativity53

Creativity53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks, I thought it just meant someone innocent but I looked these words up on Google to make sure (https://www.asianlanguageschool.com/chinese-internet-buzzwords/) I suppose it could be used sarcastically?

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sarcasm is more of an artform in Chinese than it is in English and almost anything can have its meaning turned around. In this case, if someone were to say that a role was a "white lotus" then they're being fully sincere about it. Chinese is pretty context-based in general so the tone of the sentence is sometimes more important than the actual words used. That's why, if you check the Translation Help threads, posters keep asking OPs to include more text than just the sentences that are in question.

8. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically... a white lotus can be just a white lotus - it's really just someone that appears pure and innocent. Reasonably, such a person can't really exist, so a lot of the white lotuses are actually fake or rotten. But yeah, a true white lotus can exist~

wantek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.