Recommendations Martial arts or Cultivation novel where MC's teacher is female.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by JoJoBread, Jun 3, 2020.

1. JoJoBread

JoJoBread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a novel that has teacher or his main/1st teacher if he has more than one be a female. Preferably nothing romantic and only wholesome platonic love; I guess this type of relationship would be closer to having an older sister without actually having one? If such a thing doesn't exist and it is all romantic love then that is fine too I suppose. I'll just have to make do.

Only one I know of is MC's teacher in Tales of Demons and Gods. Tales of Demons and Gods spoiler -
    Though that was cut short and they didn't have much interaction because she died.

2. Tensoku

Tensoku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    InvincibleDespair likes this.
  3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Against the Gods
    oh, you wanted platonic... well this is a harem novel, and MC gets with almost anything alive, but not with the teacher (even though he'd love to) for most of the novel

JoJoBread and InvincibleDespair like this.
  4. JoJoBread

Reading List:
    Link
    I checked out the tag. Half of them seem to have romance or a harem with their female masters? At least based off tags. You can't really know without reading, hence me asking. And a few other don't have much translations or seemed to be dropped. Not much to go since it is only one page of recs. I hope that there might be other series that have not been tagged there.

5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    The Faraway Paladin
    One of his first three teachers is a female mummy who he considers to be his isekai mother (he's basically adopted). She taught him the importance of religion, virtues, and morals.

Tales of Herding Gods.
    He has multiple teachers in this one, and I don't really remember who his first one was. All I remember was that his most doting teacher is an old woman (who's actually a disguised beauty). And just like the previous novel, she housed him in when he was still a baby (though he isn't an isekai baby) and he considers her to be his mom/grandma.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    JoJoBread likes this.
  6. JoJoBread

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow thank you so much. I never looked at it from the angle of the MC can potentially be adopted but this works great too. Thanks!

7. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhanxian fits in, but it's romantic.

8. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    You're looking for Cultivation Novels with a Male Lead who has a Female Teacher, and no Romantic Bonds between them? That's not going to be common, as Cultivation Novels are China's equivalent to Isekai. In other words, they're male power fantasy's, and the main reason to give a male character a Female Teacher in a Power Fantasy is for her to be hot and end up in the MC's bed as a part of his harem.

From what I have heard, this isn't a harem story, but the MC may eventually end up with his teacher. But their relationship is fun, both are similar people, and for the majority of the story it's the closest that I know of to what you're looking for.

If any of them are for Webnovel, or anywhere else with an "unlock-to-read" system, then Novelupdates is only showing the Free-To-Read pages, and the Locked Pages are not being shown.

This story's a harem story where the MC returns from to his past self, becomes OP by abusing future knowledge, and saves his sect and everyone he cares about, making his master, sect-disciple-sister, and two beauties who were famous in the future for different reasons into his harem.

9. cryptick

cryptick New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing that irked me a lot in zhanxian was that the mc uses some lame weapon called a 'Sword Box'. Maybe I lack imagination or maybe some things are lost in translation but honestly, what even is that?

10. JoJoBread

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much. I will give this a look.

Thank you for all the insight, and that summary of Zhanxian.

11. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a recommendation, but I thought I'd point out that in Martial World, while mostly a Harem story, does have 2-5 women who are mentor figures for the ML without any kind of romantic interactions, (some less directly than others which is why your count may vary). Unfortunately most of the time the ML only briefly gets help before he goes off on his own and does his own thing, so you'd have to be very masochistic to read it for the few brief interactions the series has amidst thousands of chapters of loner training and harem stuff. Just thought I'd point out where it does happen, even if poorly developed. I really liked these parts and kept hoping the author would spend more time on them, but no such luck.

12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Return of the Condor Heroes
    This is probably the formative book for this kind of story. It's super popular, with new TV adaptations coming out all the time, and she remains as the protagonist's only proper master for the entire story (sort of). The caveat is that this is also the definitive wuxia romance so the relationship doesn't stay as purely master-student. Overall, this is still my favorite Chinese novel and I think it's really good. As usual with Jin Yong recommendations, don't be fooled by the short chapter count - these are very long chapters so the book is almost a million words long.

Quiett likes this.
  13. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhanxian (Immortal Executioner)