Discussion Why I prefer Manwhas to Manhuas

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by slanthony08, Jun 4, 2020.

?

Do y all Agree or disagree with my reasoning?

1. Yes

53.7%
  2. No

13.4%
  3. I don't care

11.9%
  4. Inbetween

10.4%
  5. I will come to your house and find you if you talk shit about Japanese novels again!

10.4%
  1. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Probably the few good ones are not yet translated? Or you're reading at the wrong website/app.
    Most manhuas are so annoying to read due to many reasons
    - romance ones follow the same plot, regardless if it's historical or modern (the latter type is so unbearable for me)
    - Xuanhuan (eastern fantasy) manhuas also are very formulaic and with dumb characters
    arts are childish, only being colored is the merit
    panels are cramped with words explaining this blah blah power leveling sh*t or the awesomeness/beauty of some characters that are sometimes irrelevant to the story
    very obvious plot holes
    and the long list continues
    I think the industry there is not yet as mature as Japan and Korea (like how their idol industry is miles away) since the works lack details, and appeared rushed. But there's hope haha.
    Try to download Webcomics and Mangatoons apps where you will find some decent works
    Outside of these two, the only ones I found okay are The Cursed Sculpture, Night Bookstore, and some projects by Timelessleaf Scans. The rest... pass.

2. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    best answer i've seen yet. ty

3. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll join in! SUPER LONG rant incoming
    Disclaimer: I pretty much only read fantasy sooooo most of this is about fantasy haha
    Art:
    Out of all of them, the art from manga is the best (unless you want color), with manwha close behind(good coloring, usually art has a distinctive style) and manhua as the worst (Lineart is just meh, coloring is overly bright, they only use cell shading or sometimes no shading at all, and looks kinda rushed).

This is all general, so of course, there are some exceptions: art from most of Tang Jia San Shao's and I Eat Tomatoes' works is really good, and Legend of the Tyrant Empress has pretty good art (although the story complexity can't be rated as highly).

Plot:
    The majority of all of them follow one of a few copypaste plots/premises: Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, just a list of common ones that I think lack creativity
    Typically medieval fantasy RPG.
    - Generic isekai with some kind of twist (is pretty much its own genre now)
    - Closely related: OP fantasy guy/isekai'd dude who's reincarnated into his past/another body, and everyone thinks he's weak for some reason
    - I reincarnated as a ___, now let's be op in general; - Reincarnation isekai where magic is somehow centered around japanese language
    - Otome game villainesses are common.
    - Game world apocalypse: game elements leak into real life! Monsters everywhere, oh no!
    Weird betrayal trend ngl
    - Modern (FL) Romance: sister and boyfriend betrayed me, so I slap their faces and proceed to get kidnapped by a CEO who likes me for some reason (plot twist! He's got some connection to me that I forgot!)
    - Xianxia/Xuanhuan (Cultivation, also sometimes modern): MC has humble beginnings/was once a genius, anyway everyone thinks he's trash. Fiance is filing for divorce. MC gets a cheat (or multiple), and proceeds to kill increasingly powerful guys that say the same exact things.
    - Xianxia/Xuanhuan Reincarnation: Demon of the world, blahblah, gets betrayed, dies, reincarnates as some dude and is op now
    - FL Reincarnates: MC was betrayed and died, she goes back to her past, beats up the ppl who betrayed her, attracts attention of ML
    - Isekai doctor: MC (usually female) reincarnated into betrayed former genius/pampered kid. Kills betrayers, cures some allies, gets an ML
    - System manhuas where ppl run around doing errands for their systems are popping up
    - Reverse xianxia isekai: modern dude isekai'd to xianxia, gets back to modern times
    PS: uncles, step- anythings, and sisters are never to be trusted.
    - FL: Usually doesn't acquire fighting skills. Typically a court fantasy: noble ranks, politics. isekai'd into a book she read (or just a rando fantasy) as someone who has a bad end/doesn't do much, ML falls for her, then proceeds to fall in love with ML as well.
    - Portal/Gate fantasy monster leak setting:
    basically Solo leveling's setting
    - VRMMO setting

Obviously, not all of them follow one of these. To list a few (that I recommend):
    To you, the Immortal (Manga)
    Saihate no Paladin/The Faraway Paladin (Manga)
    Lord of the Mysteries (Manhua)
    Jiang Ye (Manhua)
    Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint (Manhwa)
    Elqueeness (Manhwa)
    Tower of God (Manhwa)
    I will recommend webtoons.com for reads :D

Generally, manhuas do not stay very faithful to the novel they're based on.
    Lol, that was long and unnecessary, but just put that out there

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really see a point in broadly differentiating between manga, manhwa and manhua.
    Sure there are common trends in manhua that you can criticize, but that doesn't mean all manhuas are like that.
    On average I guess I tend to avoid manhuas because there is a flood of low quality ones with bad pacing, but every now and then there are gems like Chang Ge Xing that I would put above most manhwas or mangas.

asriu likes this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    mostly webtoon
    cn webtoon, imo, mostly, something like one normal manga chap split into several mini chap~

according this cat fujo imouto who like reading webtoon~
    cn webtoon have good pace if it under big publisher that focus on webtoon~ the casual webtoon usually on off phase on consistency~
    kr webtoon currently suffer from villain isekai or something like that~ princess, duke daughter, daughter of emperor, duke daughter, daughter of king, duke....
    well since she like shoujo ehem female oriented weebtoon and everyday poking around fuj....linewebtoon official or whatever official webtoon plus aggregator her judgment maybe right~

tbh this cat think this thread will discuss printed comic or whatever you call it~ you see this cat read printed manga, manhua and mahwa way before read digital translated english

manga no need to be mentioned

manhua usualy tony wong work and later shoujo genre~ oh btw back then you kinda can different art style from the eyelashes drawn put the name aside lol~ shoujo section only~ hmm during 2010 perhaps?

mahwa hmmm let see~ kung fu komang, rebirth, western shotgun, yureka, the ruler of the land, jeju island something, story about incest family who have insane esp power ect~

this cat is bragging
    muahahaha.png

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean Zero? lol

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that one~
    da suck story this cat read local translated around 2006-07? such shame cuz that story lowered this cat view toward mahwa~ rebirth and mystery on jeeju island is nice story~
    da ending make me huh?

8. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    All my phones have been bad in dealing with Manhwas...
    slow loading
    downloaded pages missing/error

9. Mangafreakspark

Mangafreakspark Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer manhwas to manhuas because their art style is unique, their martial arts plots doesn’t involve an arrogant teenage mc who got overpowered in a day like most manhuas and their mcs aren’t harem chasers. I have read a lot of them and they focus more on martial arts, gradual development and adult mc. Manhuas tend to use teenagers who are arrogant and only chase women after being op in two chapters.
    The mordern ceo plots for manhwas are also great because their men aren’t rich rapist like every manhua ceo, they communicate like adults and I enjoy such
    Manhuas suck and tend to rely on describing how handsome or beautiful the ml or fl is despite the ml being a filthy rapist abusive psychopath stalking freak
    I have stopped reading manhua for this reason

10. fingibbo

fingibbo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A think a better reason could be that in manhuas they always play down the voilence compared to the novel it is adapted from and something about that just irks me.

11. megaton199x

megaton199x New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, there are a lot of good manhuas but none of them have translated it. For example
    1, Reborn as a dog in cultivate world( The system not only block the protagonist cultivate, but also harms the protagonist if he fail missons )
    2, I'm the great god
    3, Yu ling shi - 驭灵师 ( god tier manhua)
    - Great art , cannot predict the plot , main character's battles are always tense
    - Very simple power level : 0 star -> 7 stars , Map 1-> 9 ( human control 1->4, Ling empire control 6->9 and 5 is war zone)
    - Lots of different cultures ( roman, chinese, slavic, african...) , high tech
    - Characters development , rivalry between characters, very rare to see brainless characters
    - The world is described in detail and also cruel

12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know but for some reason I just prefer manhwas over manhuas

13. HippityHop

HippityHop New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ART and ADAPTATION PACE are the biggest reasons why manhuas are heavily disliked by many including me. But I still read that shit at the end of the day coz they have quantity and very less quality and for time pass you need them.

14. Manhuas2Life

Manhuas2Life {•_•}[me?] [manhuas]{^~^}

Reading List:
    Link
    Some manhuas. Have were innocent then turned into a tsundere. And I think the art for manhuas are better. Like a good. 65-91% of them I see have. Incredible. Art. As for manhwa. The guys. Sometimes in the Victorian ones look like a girl. That gets me confused. And like what’s with the villain stuff. I mean I ain’t mad about reading cliche stuff. And I think both manhua and manhwa a lot of time have the cool,arrogant. Or cold hearted Mc. In terms of Bl i gave that to both. The art in historical manhua is just so good.m