Question Translation question.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Kari_translations, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Kari_translations

Kari_translations Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I'm sort of at a loss with these titles, any help would be greatly appreciated. It's Japanese, but since it's kanji I guess even Chinese TLs might have a shot.
    These are, like I said titles for the best of:

Swordsmanship: 一閃座
    Archery: 鬼穿将
    For shield arts I went with "Vajra" 金剛
    Magic : 叡将
    Summoning: 霊王 (Maybe Sacred King or Soul King?)

Thanks <3

2. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the world's lore? Is it Scandinavian, Germanic, Roman etc? That'll help narrow down names. Pin down the reference culture and follow using their names (from mythology, history or just their words).

3. Kari_translations

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the references come from shogi, from pieces to moves, but I'm not quite versed in shogi tbh

4. ryuxenji

ryuxenji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    一閃座: You could just go with 'Issen-za' as a title, assumming the context is Japan. The 一閃 part indicates speed, and the 座 part refers to a seat/position of some sort. So if you want to go with a meaning-based approach, then you could take some artistic license and try something like 'Vega' or 'Speed Sovereign'.

鬼穿将: Broken down and taken in context with archery, this translates roughly to 'General who pierces through demons'. That's obviously too long as a title, so maybe 'Demon Piercer', 'Demon Sniper', or 'Demon Sharpshooter'?

叡将: 'Sage Admiral'. You can play around with other variations too here. 叡 would be along the lines of 'wise/wisdom', and 将 is again 'general/admiral/commodore' etc.

霊王: If you follow the tradition of Bleach, then 'Soul King' is right. But you could always go with 'Spirit King', 'Ghost King', or 'Phantom King' instead depending on context.

Bakaturq and Kari_translations like this.
  5. Kari_translations

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!
    Yeah, after reading further ahead I noticed several similar titles like 叡将, and even names of gods, so I'll go with the furigana since the title is added to the name at the end, and one person can have multiple titles, so "Kari Demon Sniper Sage Admiral Soul King" sounds less appealing than "Kari Kisenshou Eishou Reiou"
    Still, I'll add a note with the meaning at the end. You really helped me there hehe, I knew what the individual kanji meant but I had no idea how to put it together.

ryuxenji likes this.