If your police department is dismantled, how healthy would your town??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How essential is the cop in our current world? How would your town be without law and order being reinforced by citizens willing to risk their lives so your town would be safe?

2. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    1 this is prolly one of the dumbest part of ur question " How would your town be without law and order being reinforced by citizens willing to risk their lives so your town would be safe?"

2 crime rate would sky rocket
    3 shooting each other would be more likely than not the more common option
    4 if this happens i might aswell start my own country from my back yard

3. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It will be like the purge 2.0.

Villager Anonymous likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that even a question that needs to be asked? The situation would be just like in xianxia worlds, without the immortality (but with the immorality), ofc.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat live at village with no police office..... how this cat answer that?

6. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I think getting rid of the police force would just force people to buy guns for their own protection. Especially with people getting killed in these riots. I think it'll also lead to Karens shooting people/threatening to shoot people instead of calling the police on them. I think the people proposing that we get rid of the police force are anarchist who want to overthrow the government in the first place. So no police leading to mob justice and open gang warfare would probably be good things to them.

Sawanara murasaki and Tofu Cat like this.
  7. Prion

Prion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is no police department in my hometown, when sth happened the police arrived half an hour later, but the crime rate is so low, that my parents let the key in the door for years although my father got daily visits in his home office for years, so that a few hundred people knew about it, until someone broke in

8. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    even with cops I still own a gun. Ive had attempted break ins 2 times the first time I was it was 2 men I grab my gun and called the police and the alarm sounded when they kicked the door 4th time they ran off and cops got here in 30 min. the second time it was white man around his 30s it seemed he was trying to break in using a sledge hammer, but after the first attempt I went and bought heavy metallic security door they look nice, but are very functional he only manage to bend the door knob till it was disfigured I had to replace it. I have security cams and also put a trip alarm around the yard and front porch that I turn on at night.

I live in a gated community, but it seems they get in with no problem. the walls are 15 feet high cement, the gate seems to be metal with spike tips on top. Ive never needed to use my gun, but if the day comes that someone actually does manage to break in I will use my gun.

Villager Anonymous likes this.
  9. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you said without law but ppl/citizen protecting the town is a kind of law in itself.
    like in savanna or place far from civilization where only a group of ppl is living and they're hard to contact police if something happen, they would have some ppl do the police role to protect the citizen.

the law still exist, just in a different form since ppl need rules if they live in a community unless they want to be crushed by threat from either outside or inside ones.

10. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    In history, during the American expansion west (1790s-1850s). "Wild West" was a thing were people took the law into their own hands.

Also the local "law" or Sheriff was usually a single individual with most thriving towns to have 5 personnel tops. Sheriff also had authority to deputize the local populace to support efforts against "lawbreakers."

The duty of the sheriff was to enforce the law. Even though bandits and highway-men were sometimes seen as heroes. Hence you also had bounty-hunters or mercenaries during that period. A bounty was posted (terms of dead or alive) and anybody could basically capture the wanted person for profit, and collect their bounty where it was first issued, if it wasn't in the current town then you'd have to go to the town that issued that bounty.

The way I understood OP, was if the current law enforcement establishment is removed, what possible form of law enforcement should a community have. And in that case, it should be based on the laws of the local establishment. But even if its should be, the actual application of it, will be what is judged.

11. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you live that you experienced more than one attempt break in?

Calling it dumb does not answer nor explain; neither does it open up conversation. Say why it is “dumb.”

It needs to be ask. Different things happen in different groups. Or so that if people have different thought or experience.

Someone broke in? They stop doing that?

my town is fairly safe that if I forgot my keys in the door lock—I would be fine. But...with what is happening here, I don’t feel so safe including the censorship of opinions and people calling other people the problem for simply having a different opinion.

12. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    did u read everything else after I said this is dumb?

otaku31 likes this.
  13. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Diverse cities will become ghettos, but small towns will be fine as there people usually doing self-policing. 2020 is fascinating. It is a leap year though, they are always ... not normal :ROFLMAO:

14. IndhiraG

IndhiraG New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My neighborhood would be much safer without the police, that I cannot deny. Most of the time they are the ones doing crimes.

15. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually an interesting notion. If there's no police, then who will have the right to legally forced a rule upon a citizen, as the embodiment of the state? Will this be the emergence of a "local, voluntary security crop"? Will the police be truly dissolved, or will it be just a change of name? Will the absence of police forced a more stringent set of rules upon firearms bussiness? Will this again start the trend of the expansion of the army duty? Will jail still exist? who will execute the decision of the court? who have the rights to start and conduct the investigation of a case? i have to say, the abolishment of the whole police institution would probably start a radical change within the current justice system. And at this turbulent time, is it a wise move?

anyway, I don't think that i'm familiar with the nature of the police institution that the OP is familiar with, since every nation have a difference. Mine only have that single, unified police force for the whole country, so i'll be basing my answers on that:aww:

As for the OP's question:
    1. Police institution plays a very important role in the current judicial system. Almost every rules, acts, or codes that have criminal sanctions will have to involve the police, be it in the initial process of collecting evidence or the execution of the court decisions.
    The institution itself is far from perfect though, and that applies to the people inside them too.

2. who will organize this vigilante troop? who will oversee them? what rights do they have, what rights do other people who were the subject of their scrunity have? how to keep them in check? what kind of relationship that they would have with the court? will this troop basically be just another "police", but with a changed name instead? Could they arrest a person?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No politics or religion on NUF. Don't tell me this isn't political; I read the news.

cap.toon, reagents 11 and otaku31 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.