Discussion What makes you mad and stopped reading a novel midway

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by frandzy, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patetodl

Patetodl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When a sudden ntr appears

2. Deleted member 239874

Deleted member 239874 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop a novel when the MC / ML is too stubborn which drive me to frustration. I also don't really enjoy when author dragging the plot just for the sake of it (it's just too slow pace for my taste).

OP characters. Like the one when MC reincarnated and somehow she is a genius and revolutionized things----- just no. Or that MC has every abilities that she needs to survive the world

3. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Killed main character's love interest, which by coincidence happened to also be my favorite character in the whole book.

Shock factor or not, it was stupid. I cared less for the main character than I did for the girl.

4. senisa split

senisa split Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When there's so many unnecessary dialogue and everything is so freaking detailed.

Also when there's a romance tag but the mc hardly pay attention to ml

otaku31 likes this.
  5. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Plotholes and blatant mc nerfing.

I can accept pretty much anything except mc nerfing for no reason. MC nerfing is the trademark of uncreative authors that have no idea on how to create a good antagonist.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    " I AM THE SON OF THE SECT MASTER AND TRASH LIKE YOU HAS NO CHANCE AGAISNT ME!"

If there is this in the story then it inmeditaly becomes trash in my eyes. I would rather read the mediocre manhua than read such trash novel

7. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s a valid point. But if the story is set in Ancient China and the rape is done by a prince or an emperor. It’s okay. Why? Because he’s powerful. I’m not saying it’s morally correct. But it’s that they are the SUN of that world. So you should go with that mindset. Many reviews on NU say there’s rape in story, bro there’s a tag there saying rape.

Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
  8. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    ??? It seems like you are missing my point here.
    Fun fact : a lot of romance novel here doesnt have a rape tag but it has rape in it. Why it doesn't have a rape tag? Cause the author gloss over it, that "as long as its done out of love, its justified" and the readers either only read the story in face value or just cant differentiate between rape and consensual act born out of trust between a couple.
    Also, If an Emperor rape someone just because he can, then that says a lot about himself rather than the era he lives in. It means that he is a pig who doesn't see other female as human, but only as a meat cushion to discharge his load, and someone who doesn't have self control, and abuse his authority to harm other's life. Just because it is okay to rape someone doesn't mean you should??? Doesn't an upright Emperor who respect other people and treat them as equal as he strives to fulfil the need of his people a respectful human being?
    Dont tell me how to think, dude. If its an Emperor story and he is all powerful and he rapes people i would drop the story, no further question.
    I would be sad if there ever come a day where I think that rape is just a common occurrence and "adds spice to the story"

9. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    When the story builds up my hope for a certain plot thread or character, and I'm reading for dozens or hundreds of chapters with this in mind, waiting for the moment this awesome thing or character to come to fruition only to realise that the story is drifting further and further away from this plot thread and it seems like the author has completely forgotten about it so I go to the wiki and look it up only to find that this super cool and seemingly significant thing is never mentioned ever again in the entire story

10. Mino Micha

Mino Micha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of people saying stuff I agree with and now I dunno what to say...

Hmm, I guess for me, because I was bored, but usually I get bored because the authors clearly lacked their initial writing passion

I remembered a novel where the author forgot a detail that was very important to the story, when they clearly didn't put an effort in their writing or even tried to keep their previous standards (repeating scenarios and characters are included usually), too big of a plot hole to ignore, monotonous characters (things are either black or white, villains can be dubbed villain A, B, and C, there's literally only 3 kind of them), unrealistic scenarios (like forgetting the MC was still in school and missed like half a year worth of class and still made top of the best students with no hypnosis or other mumbo jumbo because they were so brilliant lol yeah right they got stuck in every plot and needed to be helped even though they could and were perfectly capable of doing something to at least resist) and the one that broke the camel's back was when the characters changed personality like a flip of a coin. Yes, characters, plural, as in EVERYONE!!! Even the mobs too, either hate or love the MC and have a personality switch when something relevant happens and absolutely no one in that novel is
    It had no sense of consistency and overall tiring to follow.

I'm usually a very tolerant reader (the kind that let's major plot holes, unrealistic characters, and basically anything go because meh, I didn't write it. Still I can dislike a novel based on what I've read) so this novel was THAT bad.

Sadly, where I lived that novel was so popular it got an official release and now I fume every time I see it in the bookstore but hey, people like it so maybe I'm just a odd (well, this turned to a rant, but that book was really the only book that managed such rage from me)

11. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said rape is okay. I’m just telling you the mindset of what goes through a monarch or a ruler

12. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the MC get 'dazed' and then gropes or rapes a girl.

Also when the author decides to ditch every character developed because now the MC is gone somewhere and never came back.

13. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never seen the rape part but the groping is every harem/ecchi manga/anime.

14. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm here to read Light novels and some novels just became too heavy, I can excuse some seriousness and heavy themes but sometimes it can be a tad bit too long. like in My House of Horrors, it's already too dark to begin with and there are arcs about solving murders that could span to a few hundred chapters. Another one are those really long war/fight arcs. Reading about fights are just so boring.

When a novel became too fluffy is also a turn off for me, there ain't really any fulfillment reading a novel without any sense of crisis.

erratic release dates, I hate this so much.

irresponsible translators, sometimes they just go absent without any notice. I drop the novel not because I want to, but because I have no other choice.

I'm fine with OP MCs, but I just drop it when the MC starts to dabble with everything. Just so the author could find more things to write about. Therefore, we get a plot with no direction.

15. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucky you then :blobpeek: By groping I didn't mean the japanese style. In few chinese novels, the author will literally write the MC suddenly became dazed and then will make him grope the girl and make it seems like a accident afterwards when it clearly wasn't. That's the kind of thing will make me reconsider all the novel.
    The Rito trope in a JP novel? If overused only if I decided to read that kind of novel.

16. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I remember GDK did have the daze rape with him losing control.

17. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah what you described is DIAA for me I think of Re zero, re creators, or a rpg maker witch's house.

18. Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lack of narrative rythm and pace. Some authors think that stuff and action NEED to be happening constantly or it get boring. No, dipshit, for your characters the develop in a natural way, you need breaks, when characters interact, reflect about what has happened or what they are going to do next, train, etc. It also becomes incredibly tiring to read.

19. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc plot armour, harem, too slow romance, mc is stated as smart but is then not smart, lucky coincidences for mc, Mary sue mc, potholes, plot repeats, when too many misunderstandings, too many misunderstandings thst when characters try make up it happens in an embrassing way, too quick development, mc gets talent while everyone tries their hardest, grammar.

Lots of things though some of them ad fine depending on how it is portrayed in plot like its okay if mc has advantages but they've gotta show they earned that advantage and not be stupid...

20. no preservatives allowed

no preservatives allowed Well-Known Baker【nuffies please appear】

Reading List:
    Link
    sometime, you see a seemingly interesting plot, the characters seem good, but then over time, it just seems to get dragged, like the author just wanted to make it a long story for some reason even though it doesn't really have use anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.