Discussion What is your ideal romance?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fishy_MC_FishMan, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of romance do you like best? Do you like straight, bl or gl? Do you like monogamy or polygamy. Do you like drama, sweetness, love triangles and/or misunderstanding. What do you want from a romance story, or do you even want romance in your stories at all?

Anyways, please describe your ideal fictional romance in as much detail as you feel like. Thanks.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Straight. Monogamy. Sweetness, fluff, wholesomeness without much drama. No angst, and misunderstandings (if any) should be resolved quickly through proper communication.

SamStrike, AKIKAN, Selviata and 14 others like this.
  3. felidormit

felidormit probably asleep.

Reading List:
    Link
    this also applies for non fictional romance

Slayerwolfx2, Diametric and otaku31 like this.
  4. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    Wincest trumps all~!!:blobnosebleed:

whitespade likes this.
  5. . .

. . Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Straight, monogamy, tragedy, ML/FL death, suffering, 5 stages of depression, bittersweet ending.

6. IndusEla

IndusEla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both straight and BL, monogamy, with good depth, true friendship between the leads which turns to sweet romance, a tiny bit of angst is just right if it ends at the right time, minimal misunderstandings, no cheap comedy or 2D characters.

7. chiakiss

chiakiss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BG,BL,GL, doesn't matter to me, although i read more bl and gl.I'm a full on monogamy girl, hate harems lol...
    Aah i'll read basically anything... i love seeing different dynamics and conflicts, as long as they're moving and well written, i'll read it. I usually stay on the safe side and read something with conflict, but not too conflicting and with a Happy ending. But tragedy has a lot of potential and can be very moving, i just need to be mentally prepared beforehand

I read a lot of things, but i draw the line at yandere, possessive and agressive male lead, and couples that fight a lot because they can't communicate and make their own assumptions about things. Not because i can't handle these things, but because they piss me off sooooo much. I still don't get the appeal of an agressive ML. Deadass if some guy acted like he owned and told me like "you're mine" or " don't talk to other guys too much" i'd laugh at him on the spot. I don't hate love triangles, but they actually need to serve a more meaningful purpose on the story than being "oh this character likes him but we all know that he isnt a threat to main couple

But i really like some enemies to lovers, couples that have problems and insecurities and talk them out and solve them/ what one party lacks complements the other and they make each other stronger. Pretty wholesome shit lol
    I also like sexually empowered characters? idk, there are some good stories about virgins/ inexperienced/ discovering ppl, but i really like when they already know their shit and also don't fuss about sexuality.

TheBookWorm likes this.
  8. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a slow romance were you have a male and female character who are both prominent independent characters doing whatever they are doing in the plot but over time interspersed here and there are bits of romance and bonding and before you know it they've gone from acquaintances to close friends to realising they have romantic feelings for each other.

In other words, I like a romance that you don't even notice is a romance until another character says something like "wow you really love him, huh?"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I like straight romance and monogamy. I like it to be sweet, and if there are any misunderstanding it should be a comedic one, or it should be resolved quickly without much drama. I don't mind romance in my story if it isn't full of drama.

PomeloCloud and Diametric like this.
  10. TheBookWorm

TheBookWorm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't matter if it's BG, BL, or GL. Definitely Monogamy, I prefer romance as a subplot only, both should be focusing more on their objectives first. I like it slow, and both leads should look at the other as an equal. Not a fan of possessive love. Trust should be strengthen overtime, not blindly trusting their partner in the beginning. And to hell with romance that starts with "love at first sight".

Diametric likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if there's any such thing as ideal for me because I want to constantly see new ideas brought to fruition. The most things for me though are that both characters in a relationship have to feel like people and that they can relate to each other as people; with a wide range of the kinds of interactions and activities. Other key things to have are good dialogue and just interesting conflicts for the characters to engage with. What I hate the most are one note relationships where the characters only ever deal with each other in one or two ways.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ideal?
    something simple is ok
    full blown drama is ok
    one on one is ok
    one against many is ok
    happy ending is ok
    separation ending is ok
    sad ending such as they die is ok

romance imo is one if not the hardest genre to write~ because it about feeling~
    well maybe cuz experience this cat not mind simple or full drama romance~ both happen lol~
    well this cat dislike too much drama on romance~

13. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Fluffy, sweet with some smut. If possible, with a bit of adventure. BG or BL, doesn't matter.
    No harem!!

AmethystCherry likes this.
  14. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say none, as it just comes off as cringe-inducing unless you're the one living this stuff irl, and with younger characters even moreso.

But if it's a must i admit i enjoy it when the Fml is a mature older woman, and i don't mean hags, late twenties min right up until their thirties. Just comes off as a more functional and real relationship.

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly don't think there is such a thing as ideal romance for me, I'm pretty flexible with what I might enjoy.
    Main thing is simply that the characters should be interesting individually and actually feel like people.
    Other than that I'm usually happy as long as the story isn't devolving into petty melodrama with constant misunderstandings that could be resolved with a simple 5 minutes conversation.

16. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unlike all these other comments I love forced love/rape, posessive ML, confinement etc. But I hate rape turn to love so I prefer the MC to stay fearing the ML, or, have severe mental breakdown for them to be together. Rape turn to death like A perfect destiny or Quick transmigration system : male god come here is great.

A good one is for ML to be possessive/obsessive without actually forcing the MC so MC loving him is pretty sweet and believable. Something like My husband with scholar syndrome is good because the ML is obsessed with MC without hurting her at all.

I only like harem if the shou or the FL that have lots of suitors not the other way around, since of course I put myself in their position so more people loving me is ok, but someone I love love other people is not. That's why I can't stand courtyard or imperial harem novel because even if the ML only love MC in the end he already have several concubines. I feel really sorry for the discarded concubines its not their fault for marrying someone who can't be impartial (I'm raised Muslim so you can marry 4 wives but you need to be absolutely impartial or its a sin).

I wish there's more incest or pseudo incest novel though. Something like if you are a dodder flower. Master / desciple is ok too since it's familial if you raise the child from young. Only if the MC not raised since baby tho or else it's wierd.

18. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read My Elder Brother/s is my Husband. Forgot the title tho. It's incest and 3P. And also the same author, forgot the title, girl and 2 bro cousins. Both are ancient time.

19. spchntrt

spchntrt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    straight/bl/gl/misunderstandings/cheating or any kind of issues doesn't really matter, as long as the leads can solve their problems using their heads. i'd prefer there will be character growth for both leads and also for the story and characters to be consistent. like if they make the lead as someone smart, than he should be smart from start to finish. don't make him stupid out of nowhere just for the sake of the plot. kind of a turn off for me. i dont particularly like harem, especially harem in modern age setting. however, if the harem story is suitable for the era and culture setting, then i could compromise with it. you know, as long as the story makes sense. overall, i like a realistic romance story. not too overwhelmingly sweet, but not to angsty, too.

no ideal romance for me. when it happens, it just happens.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  20. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Straight and monogamous. They need to be a powercouple where the female lead is just as useful and competent as the male lead. I don´t want a story where the female lead always needs to be saved by the male lead, or a beta male lead that is completely useless and the female lead needs to do everything. They either need to be equal in intelligence and power or one is the powerful one and the other is the strategist.

Aside from that it needs to not be too slow moving that a thousand chapters later they are still not together because of the constant misunderstandings but also not too fast paced where they realise they are each other soulmates 3 chapters into the story. There needs to be an actual steady progression where they go from strangers/enemies to acquaintances to partners/friends to lovers/dating and then to be married.
    These last one is close to impossible to find. For some reason or another the male lead or female lead become obsessed with the main character after only a few encounters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.