Recommendations Stories where why "Guns Aren't Effective" is explained

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darius Drake, Jun 12, 2020.

1. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the author had sprinkled hints in about his racist nature but I ignored it. When the racism truly ramped up, I explained it away since it was China and, I think, Vietnam. I disliked the events and dropped it once there, but I thought it would be over after that. It wasn't.

Next thing I knew, the MC had killed the leader of this huge group and finds out he was a 'spy'. Turns out the EU was after China and was spying on them using their satellites! OH NO!!! :blobscream:

A while back, I did this thing where I ranked some of the worst places to invade in a Zombie Apocalypse. China, Russia, and India were in the top three. Russia got 1st place (as the cold would kill off any invading army), 2nd was China (they can casually have a million zombie hoard attack & some areas are horribly cold), then 3rd was India (same as China, but without the cold).

I based this on the world described in the novel. As in, when the Apocalypse began, it was October-November(?) and it was about to snow in China. There was also statements that winter became a lot colder after the Zombie/System Apocalypse. This would make Russia a gigantic death trap (pretty sure the author didn't think that part through).

Darius Drake likes this.
  2. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    While I understand your argument, I also understand the argument of what you're calling a mediocre translator. The subtext you care about will only be understood by less than 10% of the audience, and the rest would just consider the different language's words as indecipherable gobbledegook. And, if you end up having the possibility of there being 5 words for things the story treats exactly the same, the 90% of people who consider it gobbledegook would get confused and annoyed.

In other words, a story with enemies that are "Majin", "Mazoku", "Youkai", and more, with the expectation that the readers will understand the difference between the words, and thus the author doesn't explain the difference, does not translate well into English. It's even worse when the difference in how they're fought against as enemies is negligible, and never explained. It makes sense for translator's to simplify the translation for the readers, when most readers don't care about the subtext of the enemy.

And, in relevance to this thread, I would want an explanation on why Traditional Werewolves and Vampires aren't affected by bullets in any story containing them. Them healing Supernaturally Fast is a reasonable explanation, so long nobody aims anywhere that's unreasonable to repair, like the head (it is unreasonable not to aim for the head, if possible, in that situation). Their skin just negating the bullet's velocity without any reasoning behind it is not a reasonable explanation. And the lack of injury or discomfort is a lack of explanation. I am ASKING for stories WITH an explanation. Arguing that "asking for an explanation is stupid" in a thread which is directly asking for stories that actually give one (because it is rare) is, in and of itself, a stupid argument. You are ignoring the purpose of this thread simply to complain about the fact that I "dared to question", thus offending your sensibilities.

Wording your argument such that it's implying that my lack of caring about cultural subtlety in regard to specific word use is racist and stupid, while patting yourself on the back for both caring and knowing the meaning behind specific wordings, is both completely missing the point and rude. I asked for a specific thing, and you have basically made an argument that suggests I am an idiot for WANTING EXPLANATIONS. Even if that was not your intention, I would like to ask that you read back through your posts and try to understand how I have reached this conclusion based on what you have written, particularly in context of the request of the thread you have posted in.

Oh, I can come up with DOZENS of reasons. The number of stories that actually bother to GIVE any of those reasons, however, is minuscule. Which is why I'm asking for stories that do.

Honestly, under normal circumstances, I would consider flipping those three. India and China's Population are relatively close, but China's 3 times the size of India. China's Population is an order of magnitude bigger than Russia's, and just over half the size. Sure, Russia's Winter's are horrifying, but that would probably freeze most of the Zombies, particularly if they stop producing body heat. Though, that could mean that Russia would be relatively well off throughout the Zombie Apocalypse, being able to keep itself relatively untouched, and thus still have about the same military power as normal, even while everyone else is notably weakened due to the Zombies... Yeah, I don't know how invading anyone during a Zombie Apocalypse would turn out, sounds like a stupid time to do something like that.

IrregularPerson likes this.
  3. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I let the China & Vietnam conflict go because it was an invasion from a racist warlord to attack another racist warlord (MC). But the EU spying on China was just too much. If they were truly desperate for land/conquering they could, I don't know, go for the countries that are actually nearby.

The Winter part is from this one scene where, even with blankets and houses, a large amount of the MC's people died. I think around 20% them died? I believe this included both soldiers and regular people (but obviously no named characters). The author (I think) wanted to make it seem like even the environment was against the MC, but he still triumphed over everything! So I was using that as reference for listing Russia as #1.

Also, as it is a System Apocalypse, China and India have some potential in the fact that the Zombies can drop items. As you said, the Zombies probably all died off in Russia.

4. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't call me a racist for some lame reason like I explained something in a way that you don't like.

If you want to call me a racist then I can give you plenty of legitimate reasons but that's probably off topic for this forum.

5. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't. Reread what I wrote. You even quoted the specific part that points it out. If you want a simplification, I was saying that the implications of what YOU wrote were implying that I was racist for writing something/asking something YOU didn't like. The only name calling I did to you was call you rude.