Discussion The advantage of being an avid reader

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Martialegg, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything we do in our life always have some kind of positive impact.
    ofc, there are negative aspect of it as well, but let's skip that for now xd.

if you like socializing, you'll be better at conversation and manipulating the flow.
    if you like games, you'll be generally better at longer concentration and micro management.
    if you like cooking, you'll be better at making more types of food, flexible mindset, and better creativity.

then, what about reading novels?
    here's three advantages from my personal opinions:
    1. Open mindedness. the more i read books, the more i have tolerance toward other people's opinion and personality. we might not be agree with the said opinion, but we have a generally better attitude to assess it more objectively without affecting our feelings.
    the same reason for why i keep expanding my reading list genre ever since i read books. in the past, i dislike reading drama and old classics. now, i gobbled them all xd.
    2. Adaptive and fast concentration. Reading a book has one catch, which is the difficulty to enter a fully focused mind to read the book. At first, I need a quiet place and without any distraction to read a book. Now, i could fully enjoy reading a book in a cafetaria or noisy places.
    3. A fast and vivid 3D imagination. Another requirement to fully enjoy reading a book is to have a vivid image of our own imagination. just like a movie or anime. At first, i only have a vague image on the majority of the actions and skip a lot of content.
    now, i could fully visualized and automatically translated the text into a vivid image as i read it. I dont feel much difference than reading manga or watching movie. in fact, novels are superior because it has more details.

that's all from me. what do you think is the advantage as an avid reader?
    Share your thoughtson the comments bellow!
    Thx for reading (y)

mir, UnknownSaint171, Liola and 8 others like this.
  2. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You become better at procrastinating . :blobcat_hyper:
    It's not like I put off chores to read a few more chapters. :blobwhistle:

mir, Liola, ImJustTesting and 8 others like this.
  3. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    and depending on the genre you like to read, your insults become more weird or variated...

as in "I your father will X" or "Your uncle is a X your sister is a X" and so on

mir and Martialegg like this.
  4. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    I might have more anger issue toward really really idiotic people

mir, NaverGirl and Martialegg like this.
  5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    But do you really? I game alot, but im shite at both micro managing stuff and concentration for 1+ hours
    Yeah, you are more susceptible to newer ideas. But i think it depends on what you read. An absolutely terrible drama could make you more narrow minded as well, maybe even making you stop reading the genre altogether.
    Once again, that may just be you, I still suck at this. Or maybe somethings wrong with me.
    This! I fking love this. I don't know when it happens, but maybe a few pages in I just reading and a movie starts playing in my mind, its fking great!
    You get to immerse yourself in a world outside your own. And just get to read awesome works of fiction

mir, Martialegg and tedy2004 like this.
  6. tedy2004

tedy2004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess being an avid reader myself, makes me have more patience for releases :D. I'm very happy reading novels especially those who relate to reality because it may help you learn some lessons in life which you won't always experience or see. You will (mostly) forget about the novels you read but still, maybe in the future, from a novel's lesson of life, it will relate some to your life problems and you will have a little better understanding haply.

7. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Loool. I think it’s not only insults, but also other vocabs as well.
    Like:
    “Give me some face, brother.”
    “I have eyes, but cant see mountain tai.”
    “Heavens!”

mir likes this.
  8. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    As for games, you’ll have to play multiplayer and practice a lot to go to the next lvl.
    You need the mindset to improve for it.
    Playing easy or casual games just for entertainment wont improve your basic skill much xd

As for bad quality books, it applies even on my fav genre xd
    I think rather than avoiding the genre, i’d avoid the author more.

As for concentration, it might be because i often read outside ever since i work.
    When i was waiting for someone or something, i often read a page or two to waste time.

mir and tedy2004 like this.
  9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i rarely read outside. I tried a few times on the train to uni, but it never stuck.
    I do play multiplayer and singleplayer a lot. Way too much actually. Primarily Destiny 2 though. I've got 1200+ hours on it, as of today.

Martialegg likes this.
  10. Manic Josei

Manic Josei 《Josei in a Shoujo's Clothing》

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it actually came to me as a surprise, but I found out that reading taught me social skills. I was surprised because I rarely interact with people. Don't get me wrong, I have friends. But through reading (sometimes through anime also), I got better at reading the atmosphere and gaining insight about people. Like, what to say and not to say based on the situation. Or based on the circumstances of the person/s involved. One cannot give an advice something he/she has not experienced yet, but because of these literature, I was able to give comprehensive and logical advice to my friends most of the time. And it was really surprising that they followed what I said and appreciated it.

11. NaverGirl

NaverGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As an avid reader, not only I appreciate fiction but also non-fiction as well. I learned that there are so many books that I haven’t read, but so little time. Sometimes I wished I have all the time in this world to read all of the books I want.

I also learned how to have preferences, like if I don’t like it, then I don’t. Simple as that.

mir likes this.
  12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I learned how to look at my life from a third-person perspective and do proper introspection on my actions. Writing a journal definitely helped supplement this.

mir and tedy2004 like this.
  13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I realize I'm an addict when I start reading Omniscient POV reader when he said 3000 chapters? No one will read this! I was like that's all? I can finish than in a several days

tedy2004 likes this.
  14. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    yah, i feel yah...

at work they be like "dude thats super long book, its like 250 pages it will take me months" and i'm like "....i read a few of those in less than a week"

way before i fell into the LN, CN & WN world when i used to read "Normal Novels" i used to get through at least 2 books a month........

mir likes this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pfft~
    advantage of avid reader~
    vocabulary, yes the more you read with more variation on type of book, article, paper or whatever you will know more word~
    that lead to~ diction~ with more words on your arsenal your writing or speech will have more variation if you want~

broadening your mind~ this really depend on type you reading and variation~ da more da merrier~ similarly with socialize with other~ if you only talk or socialize with one type of society your knowledge and point of view will limited~

other hmm secondary cuz depend on other aspect~
    fall asleep.png

16. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud We all need to pass the hydration test

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the newspaper before, now I get news from social media. The advantage for me is that you are updated with the current affairs, and that you are able to discern false news from the legitimate ones :blobhyperthink: