Discussion Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PomeloCloud, Jun 16, 2020.

1. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud 蝶のようにここまで

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever had experienced sleep paralysis? The experience would differ from person to person, and I myself had one. Science can explain it, you can even read several articles about it online. But when you experience it yourself, it will be traumatizing.
    (I will do my best to construct sentences and paragraphs about this experience)

My sister and I are staying at a dormitory right beside our school (this was 3 years ago). One particular afternoon, I returned to the dorm after a long, tiring day. I lied on the bed and lost consciousness right after.
    A few hours after that, I had this weird feeling, like there was this suffocating presence hovering over me. I cracked an eye open and noted that it was already evening. I tried to get up to turn on the light.
    But to my horror, I discovered that other than my eyes, I cannot move my body, not even a finger. I desperately tried to move my fingers but they just won't do whatever. I tried opening my mouth but no sound was transmitted.
    Now, I did not forget about that 'presence' hovering around me. It was still there despite me internally struggling.
    This time, it was bold enough to circle around me, whispering words like, "sucker! sucker! sucker!" But in our own dialect, I interpreted it as, "saka! saka! saka!" Saka means to go up.
    The voice was really cold and raspy, I was thinking that nobody can help me... So I have to save myself or else.
    As I am Catholic, I shut my eyes tightly and prayed The Lord's prayer several times until I finally felt that I could gradually feel my fingers moving, then the rest of my body. I got up and switched the lights on. I thanked God for helping me. Since I was still tired, I just ate some snacks and returned to sleep, this time with the lights on.
    The next morning, as I was about to tell my sister about what happened, she beat me to it. She told me that her classmate (let's call her Liz), who lived in the second floor, the room right above ours had a nightmare.
    She said that her classmate saw a black figure at the foot of her bed, and was carrying her plastic chair, trying to throw it to her. I forgot the rest of the details but I think she passed out and awakened in the morning.
    At that moment, I told her that a strange thing also happened to me.
    My sister pointed out that maybe, the presence in my room was trying to help her friend Liz. Because the one in my room was whispering, "saka! saka! saka!" Telling me to go up. To go to Liz's room?
    All these years, we still couldn't put two and two together. We are just relieved to tell the tale now. I don't think it happened the second time.

2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Uggh well nothing paranormal but I did have episodes of not having control just after waking up.

It's like you are awake but still sleeping.

Ambulance, PomeloCloud and Martialegg like this.
  3. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, that was chilling to read.

i'd be pissing my pants already ;-;
    im really bad with those kind of stuff

4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trick is to not sleep on your back where you pillow is pressing into the base of your spine. There is some sort of pressure point there that triggers sleep paralysis or something.

For me it is mostly the feeling of being unable to move like you're very heavy, and there is also a strong sensation of dread. No hallucination though because for the most part I'm fully conscious.

I did have one though way back when I was a little kid. I dreamed that I was laying in bed looking upward, and this ghostly lady appeared floating above me. She looked normal except that her hair and cloths were moving around like she was underwater. Next my blanket floated off of my body up into the air between me and the lady. It started to move like it too was underwater constantly revealing and then obscuring the floating lady. At one point the blanket moved so that it completely obscured the lady's body, and when it suddenly revealed her again she had become demonic looking. A fiendish expression, needle like teeth, and eyeless sockets.

This was when I woke up so to speak, though unlike a normal dream where everything switches off, and you find yourself returning to reality. This was more like I was already awake, just the hallucination faded away. I was still in my room on my bed, in the exact same position. My blanket just returned to my body, and the lady disappeared.

Ambulance and PomeloCloud like this.
  5. Zethiro

Zethiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has happened to me a lot of times, yes it was scary but I grew accustomed in fact I like the feel of fighting to regain mobility of my body, beginning with my fingers until can move them then my legs and everything else.

My first time was pretty scary too, tried to ask for help, but no voice came out, there is nothing one can do but wait and make it worse with whatever supposition you can make in your scared and helpless state, but well the majority of time its because the way one sleeps.

I don't deny the possibility of paranormal events, there are plenty of strange, be it beautiful or scary things, in this world. But in my case is just that I have really bad postures to sleep, there is nothing paranormal there :b

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    PomeloCloud likes this.
  6. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud 蝶のようにここまで

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is some kind of a hypnopompic hallucination? :blob_teary:

7. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After it happened to me like 5 times in an hour I deduced that it was because my breathing was restricted while I was sleeping. I think it was freezing and so I tried to sleep with my head under the cover. My brain goes 'WAKE THE F*** UP YOU'RE SUFFOCATING' and I woke up before it restored control to my body.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nope~
    btw here bed time story for you

9. regan

regan Forever baby!!

Reading List:
    Link
    it's kinda like conscious while has no control on your entire body except for your head.
    pretty scary tho

10. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    From my personal experience as someone who have had sleep paralysis a lot of times, my advice is - just relax, you'll get used to it. That's how it works for me. I get (kinda) excited when I experience them nowadays. Maybe I'm a bit weird in the head? Idk:blobpeek:

11. EverydayNeedsSomeAction

EverydayNeedsSomeAction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had only experienced this once... It felt very weird and scary. Like you said, I couldn't move even a finger. I didn't see any addition (visitors) in our room but my back/chest (lying on my stomach) felt heavy and I was cold sweating. I also couldn't make a sound...

It was terrible coz I felt trapped in my body. No ghosts or anything but I was very much shaken. I remember trying to move my hands or shout as I could only see my sister's back on my periphal, desperately, hoping my sister would wake up. Ofc she didn't. She slept like a log.

I knew of sleep paralysis and heard that sometimes ppl would see scary creatures, hence I was more scared.

Fortunately none appeared. But the feeling of not being able to control my body... Always gives me shudders.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone cried "Sucker, sucker, sucker" at Ai-chan, sleep paralysis or not, Ai-chan would've put a slap on that asshole's face.

Fulminata likes this.
  13. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this at 3am and now I regret it.

Edit : I've experienced it once, and the most strangest thing is that i remember having both of my legs hovering and stuck in that position for quite a while, like you're in the middle of leg-lifts. Either there's something funny going on in my room or my body decided to do an auto-pilot work out :aww:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Ai chan likes this.