Discussion Do You Have A Dropped Novel You Keep Coming Back To?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by KageTokage, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I keep returning to Why Did You Summon Me? because I remember I liked it. However, every time I go back to it, I get about 7 chapters in before I remember why I didn't continue reading it. In this case, the MC/author of Why Did You Summon Me? is disgustingly misogynistic.

There is this one line about women that just hits me like a truck. Then I'm like, "Dang it! I forgot how sexist the author is!" and I immediately drop it. I've done this at least thrice.

Is there a novel you keep going back to, only to remember you dropped it for a good reason?

2. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    rather than ideas within the novel, no matter if its racist, sexist or anything, i try reading it a go.
    only when the novel doesn't have a flow good enough for my rating, would i drop it.

especially those JPN that really betas, or all about fluffy isekai that is overused and too self-centered kind of 'plot', not story. You need characterization in a good story but not that much. it just felt theres no weight between their(MC or Protag) actions.
    and like those CN i don't like that basically give FACE or you will die, or this super bs around i must grow stronger and live longer. even more so with 2k+ chapters and a repeated flow to milk in that delicious cash, theres no story at all in these CN, im reading only text before, or maybe ideas thats completely new to me. but now that ideas have run out, and now i dont really like any of it.
    KN felt like it was between the two, so yeah.

what i am reading right now, I dont have one pinch of even JPN, i read much of CN because in the midst of quantity theres quality, but few KN.

though i think i like more of the many editors choice of words in describing certain novel. so rather than the author, editors have more contribution in my eyes about a good and wonderful novel. at least 40% editors and TL contribution to novels wellbeing

whitespade likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Fff-class trashero

4. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bringing the Farm to Live in Another World

Iamkeiron and RizYun like this.
  5. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    i kinda drop it when the alien came with mecha to invade....
    you?

6. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I pick "trash" from streets of NU, as it's littered around. I'm a very selective "trash-picker." It must include " flower vases" and "tunnel-breaking."

7. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    about the same.
    MC and his harem randomly decided to go on a holiday in the middle of an invasion, at the invader's world.

8. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a literal reading list name 'trash' to avoid this scenario.

whitespade and KageTokage like this.
  9. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Never. If I drop a novel, I'll probably give it a second chance after a few months or years, but if I drop it a second time, I'll never bother with it ever again.

10. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Against the Gods. I really used to like the series, but that was before it became such a repetitive cycle of waiting for the MC to be 'alive' yet again. Or get off his ass and actually cultivate. Then there are the long stretches of way too much build up. Still, I tend to come back and binge the story about once a year. I can't read it on a daily basis because of the fore mentioned problems, but binging it can be fun. Until I get close to getting caught up and I feel that the cycle is about to repeat itself again. So, yet again, I drop it for another year or so.

RizYun and Shadowstriker like this.
  11. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    It has happened a few times that I start reading a novel, only to realise I've read it before.

At that point, I usually remember why it made 0 impact on me, drop it and move on.

If a novel makes a horrible impression on me, I remember it just as well as one that i absolutely love. So no, not really.

I do get the impression there was one like that a year or two back though, but I can't remember it now.

......probably just cursed myself to accidentally read it again

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Drunk2nLink

Drunk2nLink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped this one cause the author took my happy moments from it, I go back to see if its changed but hasn't so far

13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, i dropped it for good. . .
    wanna know which one? that freaking title where he spammed the Hundred Million years Button to train swordsmanship. . .
    and welp he still hard pressed against guys who did trained for a what? 15-20 yrs. . .

14. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    You are a Genius.

Aedenvuur likes this.
  15. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    I have several that i despise but come back to each with their own reason
    The current ones im trying to see if i can read are Martial God Asura and Transcending the nine heavens
    For martial god asura its only because of how long it is, with that lenght itll probably allow me to satisfy that feeling of bingeing a novel for a long time but i just cant get over the main character and his personality
    TTNH was something i loved early on but the "romance" was just horrible that i had to drop it, i was finally able to get past it by ignoring it completely and scanning the text to find where its over but then i reached the part with tie bu tians master and i just stopped. There was no going back for that but for somereason i keep thinking to myself maybe i just remembered incorrectly and try to gove it another go but then i realize nope i remember the story correctly and drop it again

KageTokage likes this.
  16. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't exactly the same case for me, some might even say it's the reverse. Few years back, Once in a while when I ran out of things to read, I would take a look at some well rated novels, and there I would find Tsuki ga Michibiku. I tried to read it, 6 times. SIX f**king times, and never made it past the prologue chapters. It was so long and so boring, that I never even manage to finish the prologue and get to the numbered chapters.
    But one day, when I just couldn't find anything else to read, I decided to simply bulldoze my way through. By the time I reached chapter 10, I couldn't stop reading. The MC went on to become one of my favorites. Since then, I have read the whole novel thrice (to refresh after a long break), save for the prologue.

17. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like me and Savage Divinity.

18. KageTokage

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, all the prologue does is prove the Goddess is a completely horrible person. Unfortunately, that was made clear multiple times in the story so it just made the prologue redundant.

IrregularPerson likes this.
  19. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    long live summons, i LOVE the concept and most of the story is so interesting but the protag is just so unbearable

20. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes rebound only because old-a** reviews say it's good and I'm there forgetting what the plot is. I'm an avid reader and I have a Reading List specifically for Dropped series, I'll eventually encounter my nemesis because they'll be in my decent novel's recommended.
    > some fluffy is overrated and not utilize in the best way. sad to see that most adaptations pop-up like that
    > redundant plot. episodic is fine but why no continuity aside from the lover?
    > or convoluted world-building. like I don't want to be face smacked. some long series fall into that pit but I'd rather have the author and reader both forget about that plot point unless it was a one-night binge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.