Discussion Redundancy and idiocy in naming of new magitech in fantasy worlds

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by canaria23, Jun 19, 2020.

1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Why bother adding magic to anything and everything when it is newly introduced where there nothing normal to compare it to. The difference on normal technology and Magitech should only be the power source and power distribution modules and everything would be pretty much the same, mechanics, mathematics, etc. Should still be applicable in everything.

Ex. Mc made a gramophone, there was no gramophone ever made yet before, he added "magic" when its not needed.

Ex. 2 new world is based on magic instead of science, the lecture courses are magic geometry, etc. The normal stuff but they don't have math and science. The idiocy of it. How can they have geometry when they don't have math. The world is full of idiots.

UnGrave, Kronos, Tanhalevi and 4 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Methinks it's for the readers' benefit, letting them know that sh*t is magic, so it will not be expected to follow any known logic. :blobhyperthink:

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because the mcs got no idea about the inner structure of the item in question (or how it is made), in other words he/she made the shape or the outer shell of the item in question and swapped the internal critical parts that should make the item function with magic or magic circuits or whatever you want to call it, or they just want to improve them maybe :hmm:
    Let us be honest here, if anyone of us goes to an isekai, how confident are we of remaking our modern there :blobsweat_2:

Fallion and Sabruness like this.
  4. stripedkangaroo

stripedkangaroo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like this is referring to magic industry empire

Green Apple likes this.
  5. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    For the 1st ex, if the MC was isekai-ed from our world then it's normal for him/her to use such name.

For the 2nd ex, that's sounds like a plot hole for me.

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Math is not magic until the Reiman hypothesis gets proven...

7. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm gonna take reference from throne of magical arcana...
    So, mc do make some magic gramaphone, but it upgrade the spec of the said item...
    And on the mathematics, science, etc..
    In taking reference in there, they do use advance knowledge BUT not as advance as our modern world
    Some technology simply can be used but they don't know how it happen, kinda brute force your way, so they research it using arcana study

MC appear in this novel simply to help hasten the progress of this development, he admit it himself that grand arcanist is not an idiot, give them years of research and they will land on some correct answer for many problem...

So it all depend on author(?)

8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    fixed it

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Because we are Otherworlder...

10. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i also was reminded about it.
    I cringed when author was explaining technicalities of the magic fan. After that i just skipped similar parts.

11. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    What even, in a world of magic the study of magic is part of science

12. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    "Why bother adding magic to anything and everything when it is newly introduced where there nothing normal to compare it to."
    Then—>
    "the lecture courses are magic geometry, etc. The normal stuff but they don't have math and science. The idiocy of it. How can they have geometry when they don't have math."
    Umm... You realize you just answer your own question right ?

ongoingwhy likes this.
  13. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, the the intro is general, its okay to add magic if there was already a normal none magical product but most cases dont.

the 2nd example literally doesn't have math, how can they calculate anything without math, the novel even said that math and science is a myth.
    Exactly, in the throne of magical arcana, science is just named arcana but still science in essence, but in the 2nd example science and math are literally myths

14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Discovery and development of new school of studies actually possible to be in parallel to each other. In example Anthropology, Sociology, and Psychology used to be a single school of studies just like astrology, geology and study of physics. So it is possible for a civilization to develop a study of mathematics as a complementary branch of other studies.

15. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes like the general wizard novels science and mathematics exist in different forms, even in cultivation novels they don't reject math , but novel in example 2 literally rejected that right at the beginning of the novel

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oh~
    plotholes?
    da lost technology~
    maybe they just have basic mathematics? hmm aritmatic? but how they build magnificent building if such thing exist?
    Imagination?

17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one who has been studying extensively for the past 4 years on specifically how to rebuild different modern technologies from scratch? At the very least I would be able to make a computer which I would include the word 'magic' when disigning the components since I could probably make some cool new architecture using magic principles.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.