Discussion Her Majesty's Swarm---What is your reaction?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Deadmantellnotales, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard this novel "Her Majesty's Swarm" have some similarities to the overlord and about 3 volumes were released.
    if you read this, what's your reaction? does it have the same feeling as the overlord?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Ceilo27 likes this.
  2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s has some similarities, but a lot of novels have that in common since it’s kinda impossible for a novel to not have any similarities with a novel.

I enjoyed the first volume since it’s interesting with the swarm thing(creepy since I don’t like bugs)

Have yet to get around to the 2nd/3rd volumes, I wish they had illustrations though.

3. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I considered reading it. I liked the cover art.

But looking at reviews suggests the story is pretty much nonsense with shallow motivations and characters.

Zone Q11 and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  4. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    The translated version of ln felt like a jp webnovels translated here, the writing is no doubt from a not experienced author and the information keeps repeating.
    The volume 1 is a wall of text for me, I like it though.
    It doesn't have the same feeling with Overlord but if you're a fan zerg rush you'll like it

Zone Q11 and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  5. Izanagi_Mikoto

Izanagi_Mikoto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I started reading Her Majesty's Swarm I immediately made comparisons to Overlord, and I ended up being a bit disappointed. While I wouldn't go so far as to say Her Majesty's Swarm is terrible, there was a feeling of shallowness to the story.

First it feels like there's little character development or depth. While there is something going on with the MC and their past, it's very slow to reveal. She's the leader of an evil faction of a Zerg-like swarm, so I wasn't expected fluffy animals and cuddles, but she's very quick to wipe out entire towns if a portion of them upset her. To be fair, it's usually something extreme like the local government executing people, but rather than say "kill the enemy soldiers" she goes "wipe out everyone" meaning civilian and combatants alike. Antagonists have been very straightforward and shallow.

The other characters are barely supporting cast. Speaking of the cast of characters, the ones that stick around are few. There are numerous casualties, which could be forgiven, if the remaining cast was made more distinctive, but they're not. They're essentially yes-men NPCs.

The hivemind attribute has brought up questions for me. There are times her swarm subordinates will be gathering information, but she doesn't act on it. Or the author writes it in such a way that the MC severely underestimates the information.

Overall, the novel is like reading a quick skirmish of Star Craft with the MC playing the Zerg, minus the lore. The main focus is on the strategic warfare aspect, but it's mostly limited to utilization of new units. The author does make use of tactics to an extent, but not to the degree that would surprise you. For example using a diversion in one place to have her forces go around and flank the enemy. Basic stuff.

I do like that MC wants to do more than simply wipe everyone out. She is trying to forge relationships with mankind and other races, but the author doesn't seem too invested in illustrating it.

This is merely my opinion after reading the first three novels. Despite its flaws, I did enjoy the novel enough to continue reading but not to the same extent as other novels which I may go back and read several times for enjoyment, whether it be a few scenes or the whole novel. I'm hoping there will be more developments between the MC's Swarm and her allies and conquered nations, but the author hasn't given me much hope so far.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  6. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks, man, I was wondering whether to read it or not.

7. fuadhika

fuadhika New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First volume was pretty decent, but it went downhill in volume 2 and 3. So far there are 5 facepalm moments in volume 2 and 3. I won't go into detail what those moments are, but I'm pretty sure you'll know right away if you ever decided to read it. I'd say it's a 6 for vol 1, and a 3 for vol 2 and 3.

8. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
  9. IMACOP

IMACOP Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vol 1 was alright. Not good, disappointing, some stupid things here and there, but not bad either. Vol 2 and 3 however, is bad. I swear, with the start of vol 2, it's like the MC is leveling up her stupidity with each chapter. In fact, I was hoping the MC to be killed off by the end of vol 3 because her stupidity went over 9000.

So, while this story may have a somewhat similar tone to Overlord, it's no where near it's quality.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first glance, it's easy to write a book that brings out the qualities of "Overlord". You just need a leader protagonist with a bunch of super powered minions and have them show off by crushing the rest of the world with minimal effort. i can easily see writers try to do this. And they'll end up telling a terrible story. The reason is that this isn't really why "Overlord" works as a story so people trying to copy it are missing the point.

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  11. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Izanagi_Mikoto has pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say about the novel; it has shallow characters, plot and no illustrations, but I like reading it to pass time nonetheless.

I don't exactly compare volumes since stuff such as logic were already questionable since volume one, so I dropped logic quite a bit and focused on the appeal to emotions instead.

I don't expect the tone to suddenly become better in Vol. 4, and I don't expect more illustrations either. At this point I just want to see how the story ends, which should be done at Vol. 5 at most.

12. fuadhika

fuadhika New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have, so far it follows the novel pretty well, and if it continue to do so it would eventually be as bad as the novel.

13. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It feels edgy and idk why it is bland.. like need more something,
    From manga I read

14. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally got me some time to read it,

Man, the number of people who died in this series is too much.
    After reading it I conclude that you can't compare this and overload. both have very different atmosphere-ish(whatever that mean)/feel-ish.

I do think she kinda took empire lightly but she did have good gasp on her hivemind. Well if you are in a network of 400000 individual minds stationed all over the continent, you will miss some important info.

But I hate the complete lack of illustration. WHAT WITH THAT????, the only monster I imagined correctly is the ripper swarm from the cover of volume 1 and another one which she explained like a camel spider, WHAT THE F*CK IS A CAMEL SPIDER? I had to google it. The rest of the swarms in my mind are from the vague explanations given by our MC.

+ SWARM MEANS: a large or dense group of flying insects.
    WHY IS SHE CALLING INSECT A SWARM!!!!!!!

OVERALL IT'S A GOOD READ.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    FunSmiles and Zone Q11 like this.
  15. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Characters are shallow in this novel, especially compared to Overlord.
    I think there is a different quality of narration about the world as well.
    Yep. You're not the only one who feels that way. Oddly enough it doesn't take too much brainpower to visualize the scenes.
    Minor details. Swarm is more easily associated to insects than a hoarde, plague, colony, or army.
    blobmelt_thumbs

16. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    The manga just reached chapter 42 and... sh*t, it got axed.
    Dammit! It's incredibly good because it's all vivid and more detailed compared to the LN, like Linette's death or Arachnea's attack against King of Maluk's giant.
    But no, 42 became the guillotine for the manga.
    Just after Ivan the 2nd was defeated, Nyrnall came (plot twist) and eradicates the whole swarm. MC/ going to be Grevillea became mentally crippled, thanks to the Swarm's annihilation. And that's the end of it.
    F*ck!! It has so much potential, but all gone to waste!!

18. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
    ikr, They cancelled the Novel at volume 3 but released volume 4 because the English one is selling well.

Aristes likes this.
  19. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    Worst part is that the author summoned Nyrnal to exterminate the Swarm, like bruh, didn't he read the rules of creating an RPG? You can't make your early faces the undefeated mobs. Heck, even Vault Hunters acknowledges that and led Tina to made Mr. Boney Pants.