Do boys actually think retard/annoying = cute?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FIEND, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the bland as grits but shes my CHILDHOOD friend troupe, I get the big boob troupe, I understand harem troupe, I even attempted to understand the loli-but-mentally-300yearoldvirgin troupe
    I just dont understand why an author things annoying, whiny anchory is cute? Who is that appealing to? Do boys actually think whiny FL are actually cute?

It makes me frustrated how amazing stories are ruined cuz fl forced pairing. Take Descent of the Northern blade for instance. FL is powerful well eventually im guessing, but she is a mooch, and whiny.
    I guess thats not half as bad as Beginning after the End where fl the elf is just a whiny 2D childhood friend

Martialegg likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pet, yes those thing usually taken as a pet~ annoying pet still cute~
    cute can define on
    physically cute such as cute face and cute body
    act, it range from action, gesture, personality

do winny annoying pet ehem person can consider as cute? depend on each person taste~ if you think nope then you outside da target~
    male or female all da same~

cat is annoying pet, it meowing just for food, ignore when called, sleep whenever where ever it want, scratch thing around, run between leg when people walking, ect it have plenty of jerk trait still many think cat is cute~ so do dog or lizard or duck or whatever~

Saikyi, Martialegg and Bellilelly like this.
  3. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hwve to agree w u on that one. Yes my cat is really annoying scratching all my couches and waking me up at 4 or 5 to feed her. Annoying but I’ll forgive her cuz she’s cute:blobsmilehappy::blobok:

4. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg yeshhh!!! The elf just ruined all my motivated to read it anymore. Like I really like him and the story but that selfish ass whiny elf just have to stfu and be more considerate..... urgggg

Personally I guess I do not really mind whiny people cuz I do have friends that are whiny, but they do have a bottom line and extent. Although they’re whiny sometimes but there’s also considerate and know when to stop and know TPO. She’s a really nice girl and popular too cuz she’s also pretty cute. Don’t really know whether it’s bc I don’t mind her whining cuz she’s cute or bc she’s my best friend who I grew up together and I know she doesn’t whine all the time and is just ranting on what’s happening around her recently.

overall I really hate whiny 2d characters just like the elf, but if they’re just whiny sometimes but have a extent and bottom line and TPO then I guess I don’t really mind. At least in my friend case I know where she was coming from and understands why she would whine and rant like that, And not act like that without logic and reasoning.

readerz and FIEND like this.
  5. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I totally support you~ Unfortunately, there is a non-zero percentage of the male population that does buy that behaviour. In some ways... maybe.. it makes them feel important? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Then you also have to think of the non-zero percentage of the female population that is like that. Then catering to them, we still exhibit this trope so they feel that it's okay and they are lovable too.

My opinion: It's fine~ Be whoever you want, love whoever you want~ Just don't come near me~ Don't want to associate, don't want to read~Following this trope, they're too messy. Also.. feels like I would lose even more of my brain cells, they're nonrecoverable~

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FIEND and Martialegg like this.
  6. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    NO.

But if it's a pet that's another story~ :aww:

7. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    My headcanon is if the Heroine is actually not dumb and have any self-confidence in themselves, they wouldn't fall in love with the Protagonist i read in the first place and not be Heroine of that hero.

SilverFeather and FIEND like this.
  8. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Whiny personality means immaturity. Immaturity provokes maternal instinct.
    maternal instinct grows as you grow older. generally, women has earlier maternal phase than men, but not always.
    women peaked at 40s and drop slowly until her death. men peaked at 50s and drop more slowly than women.
    for some reason, men has more maternal instinct toward females, while women has more toward males.
    the more maternal instinct you have, the more tolerance you have toward immaturity.

however, take note that any instinct can be easily covered by any habits, ideology, ethics, lifestyle, or anything that repressing the instinct.
    just like when you have the impulse to have sex when you're horny, but you will automatically try to hold it in because it is inappropriate, not worth the effort, or disadvantageous.
    when you do it over and over, it'll become a habit and you'll be better at hiding your impulses, to the point of indifference and resistant.
    The same with maternal instinct. that's why royal family or nobles often lacking in maternal instinct.

kenar likes this.
  9. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    My thing with that story is that there are SO MANY other choices for him. I would have been so happy if he just ended up with no one, but I mean the girl who was teaching him sword play and went to the dungeons with him on his first adventure was perfect. She came from a powerful family, was smart, was tactful, was badass, wasnt a whiny annoying bitch, wasnt useless/
    MC even thinks tess is lowkey a burden since he has a load of problems other than her to handle
    and authors never fail to surprise me with adding an "annoying"= personality cute

Bellilelly likes this.
  10. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Think you are getting a mans protective nature mixed up with a maternal nurturing nature
    Im guessing being a whiny bitch and playing weak and pitiful makes a man hard but not every guy can be lumped with those morons

Martialegg and Bellilelly like this.
  11. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    im ranting cuz authors thro useless troupes into perfectly fine stories and totally shit on them, not that I actually give a fuck what someone wants to stick their dick in

c.decora and Bellilelly like this.
  12. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if I have the exact character type you have in mind, but my guess is it makes it easy for the writer to motivate her falling for the male lead without him having to develop conversation/social skills. Some male audience only care about how to get the attractive girl to be with them, so if she clearly articulates the things she needs and is highly dependent on him, its easier to figure out how to get her and less worry about her being interested in others if she can't take care of herself. But if they go this route usually means the characters won't have any interesting interaction or develop anywhere.

kenar and readerz like this.
  13. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i cant deny there are some pedo lusted over immaturity, but the percentage are among the minority.
    most guys view immaturity as something they instinctively need to protect and nurture.
    and i didnt mix it up. protective nature and maternal instinct goes hand in hand. you wont have those desires when the target is older or lacking in immaturity even if they're a women, parents, or your wife. it's more accurate to say 'helping' because they dont need protection.
    it is only applicable to kids, that's why we're called 'guardian', instead of 'caretaker' when we're responsible for taking care of them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    kenar and FIEND like this.
  14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    thats realistic enough, cant imagine many male audience wanting fleshed out romance. but does it hurt tho, to have a female that isnt so dependent and parasitic. Just look at leon and ada from resident evil, they clearly had a connection and they didnt even have that many conversations. Its doable, the authors just think its a good idea, Im guessing for fan bases

15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    ok I understand thats true, shame really tho.

16. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the saying "Smart, Sexy, Sane-pick two" Or something along those lines.

A dull childhood friend gets smart and sane, potentially the same for legal loli (though that can end up with only 1 of those 2)
    a Yandere/Tsundere/etc gets Smart and Sexy
    An annoyingly dumb girl gets Sexy and Sane

MagneticMagnet likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about infantalization and while it's most commonly encountered in otkau works you can find traces of it everywhere. Some popular examples are characters who are "characterized" as clumsy, or bad at cooking, or look and act like children despite their actual age, using head pats as a sign of approval, and so forth.

A lot of readers don't want to be challenged and a lot of authors have no clue on how to write mature relationships. Which makes it more important to be selective about what you read and to actively seek out the kind of stories that appeal to your interests. I like complex multi-faceted relationships (romantic and otherwise) and they're fairly hard to find unless you stick to writers who have good track records. However, to give proof to the fact that there are no bad tropes, I have seen this particular one executed well. The problem is that it's not going to be common because so many bad writers partake in it.

FIEND likes this.
  18. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you watched the anime Kurkozuka? The romance wasnt explicitly stated nor was it developed or fleshed out in the traditional sense but oh my god you can see the love that crosses eternitiy through his endless pursiuit and her endless magic loop of time. You def should watch

19. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    Was reading a novel recently with this. Uhm was called superior immortal was reborn in the city.

It seemed like it was going to be otp (yay) but then lots of stuff made it so mc just catered to this annoying girl whos every word was miss ben this miss ben that she is litterally his apprentice and is so arrogant she spends 99% of screen time insulting mc yet he starts to treat her almost better then what i thought was ml.

For me arrogance is annoying and a huge turn off in a woman.

Mind you i dont mean confidence as that is different.

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    You just described the plot of Remarried Empress, lol.

Summary: Navier was the perfect empress, however, the Emperor wanted a wife, not a colleague. And so, he abandoned Empress Navier and placed a slave girl beside him. That was fine until Navier heard the Emperor promised the slave girl the Empress' position.

I mean, sometimes people's hearts beat faster when they can protect/save a girl. I can understand that. Sometimes, men prefer the cute, helpless type over the smart, hypercompetent one who doesn't need them as much. As a reader and as a woman, I prefer that the female lead isn't the useless, whiny, helpless type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.