Discussion Random question about childishness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Meloman, Jun 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi all, I’m currently reading MC is kickass, a funny novel, would recommend.

Then I got a question: the characters there are mostly over 18, and even over 20yo, so is it normal to act childish at that age?

the thing is due to my personal life circumstances I was like an adult when I was small, so I sort of skipped that stage and it’s only now that I became a lazy bum who reads all day, so I have some form of misconception about people’s age and how they should be acting.

So, in your real life schools or universities do/did people in their early 20s act like they were 15? I’m just curious...

_BlissCity_ and Martialegg like this.
  2. Nessle

Nessle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honeet im kinda in the same boat,mature at an early age due me being alone most of the time,but even my parents,wich are over 40 act and bicker like 10 years old,so its more likely varying from person to person,i too am like that when my gf is in a bad mood,as i act like a spoiled brat to coax her in order to get her annoyed and yell at me to free herself of worrys
    Adults too have their childness,just that most of the time they hide it or refuse to acknowledge it

3. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    As of now or as of back in the time we were at schools ?

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also a personality trait, I know some uni students who are very airheaded and sometimes this comes across as chidish and of course some do have their funny hot buttons that can be really cute to make fun of. Fun loving people can sometimes come across as childish. The ones depicted in novels are unfortunately not really "childish" but "petty", which is also unfortunately endemic to the human species. When people think they "deserve" something, the mental gymnastics they use to justify it can be extreme.

Snowbun and Meloman like this.
  5. Meloman

Reading List:
    Link
    Either... or do you mean that now 20 year olds are more childish than the generation before?

6. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on who you are looking at, im my school class alone you can find people who don't have any responsibilities, some who already have a job, some who are already making 80k a year, and some who are desperately trying to better thier lives but are dumb as shit. Its normal to find someone who has never grown up. My favorite example is from a TA who is only 22, but already has a masters and is in the doctorates program resaerching A.I. but he desperately hates being a TA he says its like watching babies not taking the courses seriously.

Nightow1 and Meloman like this.
  7. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, men are nothing more than grown kids. Or are talking about women...? :hmm:

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No i mean once you're on the latter of your twenties and up you can hardly be childish anymore, at least not out on the public. There's certain responsibility and expectations you're expected to answer to those you're interacting with especially if you are to work with them.
    If we're talking about teenage and young adult childishness then i think we can all agree that most of them (us as well) tried to put up front that is much older than they are supposed to be (no matter how cute that end up to look in the end. Or annoying).

Meloman and orematcha like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    heh depend on what kind of act fall to childish behavior... even people on 30s 40s 50s can act childish....
    have you ever look marriage couple act lovey dovey in front of their children or relative?
    sometimes they act cute.... brrrr...
    that aside during education age kinda normal imo people act childish~ back then this cat really curious did those people act, roleplay or dead serious.... well each faction exist~

Meloman likes this.
  10. Needyneedle

Needyneedle Crimson's Melissa and the Blackjack of Chaos.

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, it depends but I really realize that adulting is just all pretense. I once thought that adults are so mature but now Im on the same boat as the 20+ year old folks. I realize that many of us are still immature and lost but just learned how to hide it better. No wonder my cousins back then kept saying you can do this things once you’re an adult because they knew I would regret it.

TL;DR Adulting sucks!

Fulminata and Meloman like this.
  11. Meloman

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

Needyneedle likes this.
  12. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being childish kinda reflect on someone's happiness, so it's plausible to act childish at any age.

Jeiyiii and Meloman like this.
  13. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    mental maturity and acting childish are a two separate thing.
    acting childish doesnt mean the person has a childish mentality. sometimes, it's just how they communicate more comfortably and to release stress or pressure.

'boys are always be boys' are a quote often used by girls because of that fact.
    that said, some people do acting childish because they havent mentally matured, but this is more of a minority.

anyone that survived in the society by themselves are already mentally matured. if they are still protected or assisted with someone and unable to survive alone, then they havent matured. as simple as that.

Nightow1 and Meloman like this.
  14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I've found that "mature" traits aren't automatically gained by aging up, and "childish" traits aren't restricted to children, teenagers, or young adults.

And this finding is quite common and can be observed daily.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yet we expect kids to act like kids and adults act like adults.

Fulminata and Meloman like this.
  16. _BlissCity_

_BlissCity_ head above the clouds

Reading List:
    Link
    It's normal! No need to feel shocked or amazed.

In my opinion, there's a child hidden inside everyone.

(NOT LITERALLY)

Meloman likes this.