Question The Can and Can't of Translations

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LovelyLight4, Jun 23, 2020.

?

Chances of getting sued by any author for translating a kakao novel (im not gonna do that tho)

1. High

2. Low

3. 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovelyLight4

LovelyLight4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hewo~ I don't know if this has been asked already or not, so I'll just start a new thread...
    So as many of you may be aware, there is often the issue of very very interesting novels not getting translated since the website does not allow translations, or the authors themselves forbid it.
    Then there is also the case of novels that do get translated, since the author gives permission to translate them.
    I am a translator, and there are many Korean novels I'd really like to translate, but this issue keeps getting in the way.
    I am aware that translating against the author's will is illegal, and can get us into legal trouble. I will also never attempt to translate anything illegally.
    Now I have 3 questions.
    1. Does anyone know any sites with raw novels, korean and japanese, that are known not to pay attention to translations of their content? I am aware that kakao is certainly not one of them.
    2. Is anyone here able to tell me, any way to contact authors of the novels, to directly ask them for permission to translate their works? If I have to be specific about one author, I am talking about the author of "The Fairy Tale For the Villains"
    I wish to pick that novel up, but I would want to ask permission first
    3. Do Translators usually, or rather, do majority of the translators have permission from the authors when they translate the series, or do they just do it without it? Since that would be illegal, aren't there any repercussions to that?

If anyone could answer my questions, particularly question 2, I'd be deeply grateful

2. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, if a novel is behind a paywall, then that means the author has signed a contract with the publisher, so the author no longer has rights to the novel themselves. Thus, even if you ask them if you can translate their novel, they aren't really able to give permission. You have to contact the publisher itself to be considered "legal". (This is also generally why Syosetu novels usually don't have issues from publishers since they're free and there's no contract involved.)

I think some folks do contact the author to get permission, but nowadays unless they have an actual deal with the publisher, most don't. Folks have talked about possible repercussions over at the Translator's Corner before, so you can go search that up, but generally what you'll face (if you're found out) at the most is a C&D (cease and desist) where you'll have to delete all your work. As long as you do that, nothing really bad will happen. (Well, other than losing all your hard work, that is.)

Disclaimer: I'm a Chinese translator, so I'm more familiar with that side of it. Apologies in advance if anything I wrote is egregiously wrong in relation to Korean or Japanese novels.

3. LovelyLight4

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah no, thank you for replying, that was very useful information.
    I just got informed that there were quite a few cases that resulted badly just because the translator contacted the author for translation permission. I find it absurd to think people can get sued for just asking to translate someone's novel, that being especially the case for kakao authors.
    But now that you have talked about the publishing company being in control, I understand.
    Thank youu

4. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. syosetu.com (Japanese) and others. Usually, if the website is free (no paywall) then they won't pay attention, but some authors might pay attention to translation and ones adapted to LN also will, then they will ask you to put it down.
    2. you can look at the author page on the site. you can message them directly (need login) or they might have a link to their twitter (or other) page. some author may give permission (as it is free anyway on the site) but most likely they won't give permission.
    3. the majority don't have permission. just do it, they might contact you to remove them after, but they also might not. just keep going as long as it still floats.

5. LovelyLight4

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your reply!
    But Translating until we get a notice is a very risky move. There may be other actions taken other than just a C&D from the team.
    Twitter is a good medium, I'll try that if I end up officially starting the novel.
    Your information was very useful, thank youu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.