Discussion Why does light not fall down but stretch up in frames?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at something and focus your eyesight on it. Make sure there's light near you. The outline of the object is stretched upwards as the light outlining it is the same. Lines into frames of distortion reflected. The light never seems to go down but up. Why is that so? The phenomena reminds me of the 4th dimension in Interstellar and to make sure, I watched the scene again. Exactly what I saw that light is sliced into lines and within each line are frames of the object or person stretched horizontally.

Anyone knows what this is? I tried Googling it, but it's all about speed and radiation. Not exactly about why light goes up. Maybe it's related to the reflection and refraction of light from and to my eyes?

Edit: Yeah, squinting on someone's face with a light bulb on in the room.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Fran.2424 likes this.
  2. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What

edit: after thinking for a bit are you referring to the "stretching" of light when you squint at something emitting or reflecting light? Like when you squint at a pc screen.

3. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    No exactly sure what you mean, but im assuming you mean something like light streaking when you squint at a bright object. It’s probably an effect of diffraction. As for why you only notice it upward, maybe it’s because there’s usually a bright object below that might obstruct the downward streak?

idk I’m not a physicist

4. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, so this deals mainly with the fact that when you close your eyes, what's happening is that (for the most part) your eyelid is coming down, not up. You'll notice this effect particularly strong when you squint a bit, or let your eyelids droop.

The reason for the light stretching is because it's being refracted through your eyelid which is slightly covering your eye. The eyelid is thin enough to let through a small amount of light, and that's what creates those upward "blurs". You can actually check this pretty simply. Just yawn or do some other method to get some tears in your eyes. These tears pool at the bottom of your eyes and you'll notice a downward blur effect. This reflects the upwards blur from your eyelid which is above.

Edit: As a note, yawning will cover basically all of your eyes in a thin film, so the blurring may happen in "all" directions. It will be most noticeable downwards, however.

Edit: Messed up. Light should actually be refracting though the "bottom eyelid", not the top which you close. Tested again and tears can cause both an upward and downward effect, as they will stick to both the top and bottom eyelids. So my conclusion should actually be flipped. Same principle, though.

01 likes this.
  5. P0_1X

P0_1X Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know the answer to your question but think I know what your talking about. That is if your talking about shadows. If it is then you might want to look about videos that talk about the way light work in your eyes or something I don’t know bro I can be completely wrong and my self look completely retarded but I tried helping you dude

6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what you're talking about, but if such distortion happens when viewing normally, not squinting, etc., then perhaps you have misshapen pupils.

7. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be flipped because the images are flipped upside down in our eyes, and its our brains that are flipping it right side up

8. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Going upwards all the time? ..Angle of refraction?
    Try position the thing you are looking at in a slightly different place.

9. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what you're talking about but if its what the first two replies assumed...then I believe that's because of reflection. Instead of squinting your eyes try using your fingers instead and you'll understand it better how the reflected light does that..

10. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Calling the science otaku!