Discussion What novels would be good for older people?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ACTS1966, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACTS1966

ACTS1966 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok
    So my mum was maybe going to write a book, and so I told her about the light novels and like the whole thing around it.
    I told her about sites like Royal Road and Scribble Hub.
    But I'm regretting it now, there is so much weird shit that she wouldn't be able to comprehend.
    (Harems, loli's, yaoi, yuri, rape and other perverted things)
    She's like 50ish and I need help.
    If I can get her to read novels that would be fairly normal then she wouldn't see all this other stuff.
    pls help I need recommendations.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    She is bound to find out, what you can do is, to give her some recommendations that shows her the good side of the novels world then gradually she will come to find the dark side of it, in that order it should be easy for her to understand when you explain as for to show her, maybe start with some comedy with fantasy or start with a genre that she likes to watch in movies and series :hmm:
    What kind of movies/series that she usually watches :blobunsure:?
    In the meantime maybe something like 'Nightfall' would be good

ACTS1966 likes this.
  3. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    She's into paranormal things I guess. And she has a collectors edition of the Lord of the Rings books but I don't think she would understand some of the terminologies used but I'll look up some nonetheless thanks

5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Monogatari Series

ACTS1966 likes this.
  6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    there is one option left
    say it with me
    Invisible dragon
    It will literally save your life

Seigin and ACTS1966 like this.
  7. RenAshdoll

RenAshdoll God of the Wired

Reading List:
    Link
  8. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsmile:

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  9. Dodgerzz

Dodgerzz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If she's into paranormal stuff try Lord of the Mysteries on webnovel. First like 120 chaps are free then you either pay or get 3 free per day. It's a really awesome novel and one of the most well researched novels I've ever come across.

Has non of the crap that would put a new comer off.

10. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    "The Summoner is Going" is a pretty neutral novel. Its a pretty lighthearted story of a guy playing a vrmmo for the first time. There isn't much of a plot but the game is interesting and the characters too. No real romance or anything as of yet

"My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending" is a great novel in my opinion. A guy finds himself in the body of a villain of his favorite jrpg. He struggles to follow the story of the game while trying to stop the various tragedies that happened in the game. There is a romance and a bit of a love triangle but nothing perverted. Might not be your moms cup of tea though. I don't know what genre she prefers. Maybe josei?

"Okami Wa Nemuranai" is a refreshing novel. An experienced adventure goes from one fantasy world to another. Its a bit brutal but no japanese weirdness

"Star Rank Hunter" is a good scifi adventure. Lots of interesting characters and worldbuilding. Nothing really perverted in my opinion

"Superstars of Tomorrow" a war hero from the apocalypse dies and reincarnates centuries into the future. Now in a peacful and futuristic world, he can pursue his dream to become a world famous music composer. On his road to musical dominance, his other abilities gained from the apocalypse bring him recognition, as well as some mysterious powers from his reincarnation. No hint of romance yet, which is a bit of a shame, but it certainly doesn't seem perverted in any way. Also there is an awesome dog.

"Thanks to a Different World Reincarnation" this is the first story that came to mind when reading your post, but there aren't many chapters. A heartwarming story of an old man isekaied into a game-like world. His mature and wise outlook really gives a warm feeling while reading.

"Yuusha-sama no Oshishou-sama" the story of a young man dreaming to be a knight despite his lack of background and magical ability. Its a good story. Romance and some love triangle but nothing perverted yet, and no hint of it.

"The Man Picked Up By the Gods (Reboot)" this is a lighthearted story of a scary strong guy struggling to fit into society getting reincarnated to another world as a kid, with the blessings of a few gods. The story centers on his psychology as he tries to improve internaly, and how the people he meets admire him and try to help him. Some mystery involved behind his situation back on earth.

"I Came Back but the World is Still a Fantasy" is a favorite of mine, but there is a possibility of some Japanese weirdness and perversion coming up. So decide carefully with this one. Its interesting and a bit mysterious. A guy gets isekaied and when he finally gets back he discovers his world has become fantasyesque because of another other world. The mc has a weird psychology, but i find it very interesting.

"Dragoon" this is completed. The story of a guy who was fated to be a villain altering fate with his obsession with dragons. Its an interesting story and there is a bit of a love triangle and some japanese weirdness but its not too bad.

"Evil-like Duke Household" this gives me a sort of Adam's family vibe. A loving family that has strange hobbies and a menacing vibe that gives birth to frightening rumours. Its funny. I haven't read all that came out but i doubt there is much peeversion, though it is plenty weird.

"I’m Only a Stepmother, but My Daughter is Just so Cute!" this is a josei novel and i haven't read much of it, but i liked it so far. Obviously there is a high risk of ecchi and romance but since it is targeted towards women your mom might like it. And she can't complain of perversness if she gets corrupted!
    So take a look at the josei and other women centered genres and try and look for something your mom might like.

If you give me more info of what your mom might like i might be able to give better reccomendations. At the moment i can only give the novels i like that aren't too weird and perverted. But does she like action? Romance? Fantasy? Scifi? Drama?

ACTS1966 likes this.
  11. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    REBORN AS MY LOVE RIVAL'S WIFE.

She must be shown the glory of GenderBender!!!!!

Walter vi Britannia and ACTS1966 like this.
  12. Tiramisu Zuki

Tiramisu Zuki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Driver of the Beautiful CEO? (shamelessly recommends the novel I'm translating)

It doesn't have any of those perverted stuff, harem, yuri, etc. It's mostly focused on the concept of family and home.
    <https://www.novelupdates.com/series/driver-of-the-beautiful-ceo/>

And another recommendation is Master Meow

It also doesn't have the things you mentioned, it's about how a girl transmigrated into a world with no humans and habituated by giant rational animals. Some things happen and she ends up as a pet for a wealthy cat!
    <https://www.novelupdates.com/series/master-meow/>

13. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsmile:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  14. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of soap opera esque Chinese novels on this site. Show those to her, I bet she'll love it.
    I SECOND THIS!! DO IT!!

ACTS1966 likes this.
  15. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhhhhhh
    I forgot about those.
    She do be liking Casualty and Emmerdale

16. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recommendations

17. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, show her Reborn as my Love Rival's Wife. It both has a generic soap opera plot and makes fun of it. That would be fun to watch.

18. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Start with
    the empire of the ring
    Lord of mysteries
    Martial arts master
    My house of horrors
    Reborn as my love rivals wife
    Rebirth on the doors of the civil affairs bureau
    Hello wife
    The great story teller
    A big life
    Game market 1983
    Hail that orc
    A tale of one continent
    Meg and seron
    Allison
    Lilia to treize
    Arslan senki
    Guin saga
    The legend of legendary heroes
    Rakuin no munshou

Also stay far away from the heavy josei drama stuff that goes over 200 chapters, it makes you retarded

19. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    Geez thank you, I owe you one.
    I guess she likes mystery/paranormal/alien stuff.
    By alien stuff I mean like those movies in the 80s where bigheaded green aliens come to earth in UFOs, she lives in a place where the most aliens have been spotted, so there is that.
    she also likes dogs if that helps, idk how but ok.
    (But fr I owe you one if want me for anything just message)

20. ACTS1966

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you my guy. I also owe you one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.