Discussion What novels would be good for older people?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ACTS1966, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Else Is A Returnee

ACTS1966 likes this.
  2. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately i dont read much mystery, and the scifi i read usually focuses more on the fantasy elements than the science or mystery. But "Superstars of tomorrow" is close. There aren't any aliens in the story as of yet (other than animals) but they do go to space. There is also an amazing dog.
    In terms of mystery there is one novel i really like called "The simulacrum" on scribblehub. A guy wakes up with no memory but suspects that he is in some sort of artificial world that uses classic anime tropes. Its very funny and interesting, with a lot of 'meta' jokes. But unfortunately this leads to some weirdness, though usually its made fun of. The mc is pretty chill and doesn't have much of a srx drive so there isn't much perversion but keep in mind the genre of the artificial world he is in seems to follow battle-harem tropes, so you can guess that its not really innocent, but there is nothing too bad in it and shouldn't give a bad name to novels and anime

ACTS1966 likes this.
  3. MaliciousBurial

MaliciousBurial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your mother enjoys writing, I do recommend you to take her to sites like WritersCafe, Booksie or Commaful (the last one having a very nice population, or so I have heard). Those sites aren't interesting to many of us but might be the right sites for someone to dip into the world of fiction and hobby-writers (at least before you expose her to the stuff we go through sometimes) xD

Maybe you go looking at a certain set of tags: tragedy, slice of life, mystery, mature (mature, not ecchi or smut, but mature content that isn't made for 13yo kids), psychological or drama... those don't have to be all in one (it better not, because too much and you will end up traumatized).

There is, of course, no rule that your mother does not like the usual stuff (urban romance, fantasy/transmigration/weak2strong, etc). Also, do choose something that is completely translated... my mother never liked to touch something that wasn't completed and answering her questions when something will be completed can be quite a pain.

Just by thinking that she is a mature reader who might enjoy horror/mystery/the dark side:
    - Apartment for Rent (quite psychological, do not recommend if she prefers nice fairy tales and Disney)
    - Thriller Paradise (Modern Mystery, some horror and action)
    - Terror Infinity (similar premise as the above, at least it's completely translated)

If you want an old romance/action/transmigration/full-chinese-pack classics:
    - A Mistaken Marriage Match: A Generation of Military Counselor
    also:
    - To the Sky Kingdom (it's on Amazon, translated and all... but the author has a bad reputation for stealing other's work... her books are real tearjerkers but I feel bad whenever I recommend it for someone to read - I would rather not help her get a reputation or make money; I once regarded her Three Lives Three Worlds - Pillow Books a series each novice in Chinese literature should have read once -.-)

And Netflix adaptations (these are kinda mainstream-proofed):
    - Ashes of Love (if Romeo met Juliet in Godly Ancient China)
    - A Slight Smile is Very Charming (is on Netflix as Love O2O, modern love-comedy, easy read, no shame and no drama)

And some noticeable light reads:
    - The Record of Unusual Creatures

ACTS1966 likes this.
  4. ACTS1966

ACTS1966 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Look ups everyone else is a returnee*
    :hmm:
    *see its written by Toika*
    *see its got a harem tag*
    'Did I just get bamboozled?'
    *starts reading it*
    *reads the ending*
    :blobhyperthink:
    Hey @Lazy Bookworm :blobspearpeek:

Lazy Bookworm likes this.
  5. ACTS1966

ACTS1966 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's smart.
    I'll have to check the sites out,
    but thanks for the novels bro,
    I owe you one
    fr tho if you need me for anything i'll help

MaliciousBurial likes this.
  6. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the harem aspect is light, and doesn't really take effect until the end. But true, it is harem. I usually don't like harem stories. but this one is an exception.

ACTS1966 likes this.
  7. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    everyone else is a returnee is a nice novel but in the later parts it does become a it ridiculous and haremy

ACTS1966 likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghosthunt
    Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan
    Wuxia ... nope not da mistaken as wuxia thing
    https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/65/
    Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, dark story
    Senketsu no Elf, another dark story
    The Princess Wei Yang, intro for ancient cn bloody scheming story
    To Be A Virtuous Wife, introduction for ancient cn royalty live and plenty on term
    Onee-chan Will Become a Hero, and Save the World!, oneshot da tragedy perhaps
    Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro……, romance about departing consider your mother age yup ~
    Remembrances for a Certain Pilot, similar to hikaru on sense not typical romance story~
    Iris on Rainy Days, hmmm tragedy perhaps
    The Villain is Happy Being a Father, intro for cute story not require thinking process

ACTS1966 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.