Rant about cn

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ImperialNero, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, authors definitely have an artistic license to make certain depictions however they imagine it.
    It's also up to readers to make a decision whether that's appropriate or not.

"If you feel those kinds of books shouldnt be publicized, then what you do is exactly like the CCP. Oppressing other people and forcing their views on others smh."

Not sure how you interpreted that from my post.
    The only thing I pointed out was that elitism / racism does subtly exist in Xianxia novels? I'm pretty sure I didn't even attach a negative statement to the post, just that it exists. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that it exists.

Everyone will have their own biases and values that they don't personally wish to cross. Some ppl think harems are ok. Some people think pedophilia is ok (it's not, legally or otherwise). You happen to think that "discrimination" and "elitism" are warped ideologies. That's your opinion, so I agree that it's not for me to convince you otherwise.

I personally think adoption of different ideology shouldn't be automatically accepted and depends heavily on context. In transmigration novels, adoption of ideology should depend on both the cultural norms of the transmigrated world and the transmigrator's origins.
    e.g. a normal person from Earth transmigrating to a savage world shouldn't just readily accept problematic norms (slavery, rape, etc).
    At the very least there'd need to be some appropriate level of adjustment. You know the kind. Some modern Joe gets thrown to a fantasy/cultivation world, suffers a lot of abuse and has to be cunning/cruel to survive.
    But a regular Jap isekai'er that goes to a fantasy world and immediately starts buying female slaves (even though it wasn't necessary for survival) always felt weird to me.

Mm... not sure what point you're trying to make with the rape tag reference since that's a pretty extreme example (vs elitism/racism)? Rape depictions are fine if their meant to embellish a cruel, oppressive world like "Goblin Slayer". It's a serious topic and deserves to be treated seriously.
    But it's an issue if the rape depiction becomes purely titillating with clearly no plot development or purpose. Even Goblin Slayer (novel and manga) toned it down after the first few volumes after the initial shock value and world setting was complete.

Unfortunately a lot of CN (and KR) post-apocalyptic novels follow that titillation route, which is problematic.
    e.g. An insignificant side Character B/C/D/E gets raped in graphic detail, just because.
    It's usually done as a cheap method to gain readership though.
    There are lots of other threads on NUF discussing this topic which you can look up if you're interested.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    kenar and Martialegg like this.
  2. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. i misunderstand a lot about your post. xd

In the past, i also used to think that berserk should be an illegal manga, because of how impactful it is to my view of life. Some similar dark fantasy which depicts an extreme detail about gore, rape, blasphemous dogma, and many others should be banned as well.
    They even contain some mind disturbing feeling of being tortured.
    It's to the point that i feel like the author is insane.

But then i realized one point after reading a lot of book.
    Books are, in the end, a communication tool. It's a tool that the author used to expressed their ideas and feelings. Entertainment is actually a by-product of their creation.
    After i realized that point, i began to seek the point of what the author wants to show us in the book.
    At some point, i could even understand the mental state of the author. It feels that i took a peek to their inner persona through the characters.

At that point, i realized the reason why i feel that the author is insane, is actually because i dont understand the author.
    And most importantly, i also found out that understanding the book would significantly increase the delight of reading.

I guess that's why i hardly care about the morality and any warped ideology of the story. Because by rejecting those points, you wont be able to understand the book and enjoy the story.

kenar and kkgoh like this.
  3. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to exclude racism, nationalism, and rape. I bet majority or cn like 99% will get filtered too. Ffs can they make normal mc with good sense of common sense and morality

kkgoh and Cohran like this.
  4. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can deal with china nationalism, to read cn novels you have to ignore some stuff otherwise none of them are acceptable.

But some novels really cosses the line, as Sovereign of three reals, when one of the “foreign races” enemy of the main contry is an aboriginal group that’s a clear attempt of black face racism.

kkgoh likes this.
  5. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh as I grew up in Australia, I was forced to see a lot of USA patriotism in the media that meant nothing to me beyond mild annoyance. Sure CN novels can be far more overt in that shit, but I don't care about it that much anymore once I remembered all the crap I endured as a kid. It's just
    • USA NUMBA #1 WE WIN BECAUSE WE ARE BESTEST!
      vs
    • CHINA NUMBA #1 WE WIN BECAUSE WE ARE THE BESTEST (AND EVERYONE ELSE IS MONKEY)!
    I think other people are right when they say that CNs usually aren't written for a western audience anyway, so certain themes aren't that compatible with our... sensibilities. But shit, if I had a dollar for every time I had to endure some cheesey line about how great the USA is, I could buy a roll of toilet paper AND hand sanitizer, maybe even two!!!!!

6. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get about less than 15 updates on my page everyday after filtering those, all the creepy stuff, and the mostly generic stuff like transmigration.

7. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is more on the translaters who pick up trash novels than the actual chinese literature as a whole. There are plenty of "normal" Chinese novels around. Instead of bashing Chinese novels bash the translaters for picking up trash novels instead.
    When you go "fk china" how is this different from chinese going "fk u all"

:blobdevil: as i Chinese american, even though i didn't grow up in china, seeing these type of racist posts drive me mad. What do you hope to accomplish besides spread hate and rasicm?

kkgoh likes this.
  8. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    People like to say bad things about China, it makes them feel good. Just like spiritual drugs. You can't say anything good about China, otherwise they will say it is a propaganda.

This is what Reddit has become nowadays. It is truly sad.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would blame the readers in general rather than the translators. Translators work on the books that people read, so if readers avoided the racist stuff then less of it would get translated. Much the same goes for any broad criticism of Chinese novels in general. There are so many varied kinds of books being written that such criticisms are always driven by a lack of perspective - all the reader has to do is to choose better books and what they're complaining about won't be a problem any more.

10. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with what you're saying. I wasnt really trying to blame translaters, just trying to make an analogy - they can read and translate whatever they like. At the same time though, a general reader even with with no Chinese knowledge should have the common sense that there does exist other types of novels besides "feel good wish fulfillment". I understand why they are popular and easy to translate, and that its easy to tire of them. This does not warrant multiple & constant rants about chinese culture as a whole, which is what i have issue with.

11. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you as well. I was just expanding on what you posted. This topic really does seem like the Dunning-Kruger effect in action. I know a fair bit about China but I'm always hesitant to speak up until I'm sure about the facts. On the other hand the people who don't know anything will post the first thing that pops into their imagination with no regard to whether that has any relation to reality.

I remember seeing someone post that a film or TV show was edited to remove any hint of homosexual innuendo. That's right - thinking that the country wherein "the Untamed" was one of the top rated TV shows of the year would have a problem with homosexual innuendo!

12. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well ... Technically its only the past few years (3-4?) that China has been more lax with gay shows. Before it use to be very common thing to censor homosexual materials (mostly from the west bc they just didn't exist in China) sadly....
    Dramas especially have a lot of weird rules to follow before it can be aired...ex.I think they're was (is?) some rule that there *has* to be a female lead which is why a female character will be randomly added sometimes. China does have weird censorship issues (censoring novels while all these bl novels are being turned into drama) etc. I predict that in a year or so, theyre going to start clamping down on these bl dramas, because once a new genre gets too popular (too many released at one time) they ban it for a few years.

13. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I recall, the rule for TV shows was that either the male lead or the female lead has to be a Mainland actor. This was back in the day when shows would have two Hong Konger or Taiwanese leads so that these roles could be protected for Mainlanders. I imagine this is what forces shows to have one of each.

I think that there's a decent chance that homoerotic material will get clamped down on. But the thing is, this hasn't happened yet. In fact, it's far from the truth and these shows are highly popular in China. My point is that if you want to write critical posts then they should be based on facts rather than what you imagine them to be. The latter is not only useless but it also feeds into racist rhetoric.

Saikyi likes this.
  14. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of Chinese translators and market for it.

15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think thats half as bad as the shit japanese spoon feed us
    Japanese's cringey cutesy shit for even their moderately badass characters annoys me to no end. They ruin absolutely perfect plots with some irritating side hoe, or a harem. In that case I can tolerate some wanna be badass chinese mc who gets bullied for no reason etc

kkgoh likes this.
  16. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    They are born japanese after all, its only natural that they feel japs foods are the best, even i feels the same towards my home country cooking. But you realize that this isnt the racism that i meant right?

17. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you read too few jn and too much cn since most of the time harem in cn are the worst compared to jn and kn. Brainless, boring, 2d personalities that fell for mc because some nonsensical plots. Tsundere that was unproperly executed, all chinese character having too much unnecessary pride and shits. Girl get ignored by mc, then some shit writing "i never got ignored by someone before", and somehow mc have new harem member. I could make an essay worth of writing about how bad all cn is

SilverFeather and Ionliosite like this.
  18. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    As i said before, most of novels in this site are chinese novels. Isnt it natural that most of critics are aimed toward chinese one since chinese have higher number? Korean and japanese also have racism but very vague and generally are not aimed toward specific country or races, mostly about culture/food. Reincarnated in isekai with western setting, mc feels foods are bland. I have no problem with this kind since its harmless anyway but chinese are very obvious with their target. Blacks, africans, korean, and mostly japanese with how author described japs speech(bakayaro, ecchi, hentai. Try to read i might be a fake cultivator)

19. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way since this is a post about chinese novels. What is with chinese obsession with putting things like king, emperor, lord and mostly arrogant sounding words like dominate in almost everything. Zombie king life in another world? Heck why would zombie have kings. Dominate the three realms, sacred lord of summer, film emperor(is this actually a thing in china?), male god. I cringed everytime i accidentally read those kind of titles

20. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's too easy to just blame readers. If there's a buyer, there's a seller, and vice-versa, not to mention a whole bunch of middlemen (translators) enabling that enterprise to continue.
    Everyone complicit in the transaction shares responsibility. The drug pusher at the street corner is just as bad as the drug maker and drug buyer.

Guess that's what govt is for, to set standards/laws and curb excessive problematic behavior. If there weren't FBI warnings, you'd probably be seeing pedophilia and all kinds of crazy shit everywhere.

To be objective, a lot of JP tropes are picked up by CN novels.
    Besides BL, there's an excessive amount of loli/pedo material appearing in CN novels these days, both translated and raw works. You know the kind ... even a popular, supposedly innocuous novel will throw in the occasional loli/BL joke :rolleyes:
    In these particular instances, I'm having doubts that it's just translators picking up lousy CN novels. Wonder if that reflects changing behavior among CN readers.

FIEND likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.