Discussion Side Quest Is Important When Playing A Game, Is this just me?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by girisuherman, Jun 25, 2020.

?

DId you Rushing to End when play game first run?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Maybe...

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Sometime

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Gotta catch them all

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    You know when I playing a game on my first run, I kinda rushing toward progress and ignore side quest... I kinda remember when playing God Of War 3. on my first run I kinda hound the main quest and end the game with only one day, then get wrecked when fighting valkyrie boss. two days later I managed finally rip her wings.

Then I start a new game with same difficult and literally do every side quest until I collect almost all item... most shocking was when I fight valkyrie boss, it's too easy I don't even sweat, my reaction "the heck why it so hard last time"

I realize it just now because I playing Xcom, rushing doesn't help you. I lost two or three soldiers every mission, even sometimes I use rookie for bait, and the final... oh god one word "why?" how the heck 98% is a miss? just one more hit point, I hate it and it was iron man mode...

On the second run, I collect every tech and delay so much as possible and ridiculous, my reaper wipes whole 7 enemies on one turn, for a whole game I only lose 2 people... after 20 or more game round I realize side quest is important...

Anyway, I want to ask if you are playing the game the same as me or not?
    tell me what did you think...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. NobleQ

NobleQ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually try to do everthing in the first playtrough, unless the game allows you to complete those after the main quest (e.g. Far cry, TES, GTA, etc.) and hate it when I can't do everththing in one playthrough (e.g. have to restart the entire game when i missed one thing).

girisuherman likes this.
  3. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless they make interesting side quest like in the Witcher etc i don't think side quest are that important to complete. That said i rather have side quest than being forced to rearm and farming more because the developers team doesn't make much content in their game.

4. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still haven't finished Breath of the Wild because I want to explore everything. I keep getting flak for it, since I literally refuse to finish the game just so I can keep exploring.

girisuherman and mir like this.
  5. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m the opposite, I get way too focused on getting the best ending the first time in branching story path games and doing all the sidequests. I often have to force myself to just play games normally.

As for Xcom, Fireaxis would love you. Despite the new Xcom games being best played slowly, they try to force people to rush with the Dlc of the first game and all the stupid timers in the second.

The only thing you should be rushing in Xcom is getting the turn timer disabling mod for 2, and rushing weapon techs in both games.

girisuherman, GDLiZy and Astaroth like this.
  6. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I cannot finish any game with any ending that requires a perfect playthrough, I literally have to get it perfect on the 1st time if its allowed. So, I get stuck repeating the game whenever i make the tiniest mistake.

girisuherman likes this.
  7. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have much time to play (so many things to do, only 24 hours in a day, and many of them are taken by my job and going for point A to point B) so I usually try to get everything in my first playthrough, I usually avoid most of the games that require multiple complete playthroughs to reach the true ending (like visual novels and dating sims for exemple...) or collection based games (pokemon and other gatchas)

8. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually play a game properly in the first playthrough, bulldozing my way to the point where i want it to be, often using walkthrough to get a "perfect ending" at the first run. After that, i'll play around with side quests and the likes

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Miri-Bell and girisuherman like this.
  9. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    i do everything in the 1st run, do all quest know all mechanics if possible and learn all the lore... then speedrun it the next time, my usual gametime in a jrpg is usually 200 hrs+

girisuherman likes this.
  10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get really curious about any interesting side quest's stories, and I like exploring the game's world, so I usually end up ignoring or delaying the main quest unless I have to work on it to open up a new area I want to explore.

I remember when I played Skyrim, after I had finally explored just enough to be satisfied and tried actually doing quests in order instead of randomly stumbling across the events, a whole bunch of the quests were completely bugged because I had done the middle and the end, but not the beginning.

I'd cross the plains and climb a mountain to see what it looked like from up there, and a whisper would come out of the night: "Finally, you're here. Let's go." and they'd turn and run into a cave. And I'd follow.

I liked to imagine that my character was pretending to know exactly what was going on, but all she/I knew was whatever we could guess from the npc's bits of dialogue. It was written with the assumption that I already had context, so it usually didn't explain all that much. Some of the quests I came across later in their bugged state and the backstory was very different from what I had imagined.

girisuherman likes this.
  11. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... timer, reason why I use rookie for bait... i going download the mod

12. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun fact: The timer mod was so popular on the game’s release that Fireaxis went back and made many of the timers longer, realising how much people hated them and preferred to play slowly. Think there’s like a mini-documentary about Xcom on youtube that mentions that in an interview.

girisuherman likes this.
  13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on game....
    really~ stat, item, equipment, side story or simple achievement~ this cat not perfectionists gamer so not really bother with side quest~
    for single player game sometime da side quest is killing hard hidden boss, that indeed a challenge but for achievement nah not really care~

girisuherman likes this.
  14. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    NG+ games are the best tbh because then you can get an ending and restart as the op novel protag you really are

girisuherman likes this.
  15. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link
    Or realize how garbage your build is and how underleveled your equipment is in the case of Dark Souls.