Request Recommend me mtl sites?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by White Empress, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Empress

White Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This has been talked about before but I can’t find the thread when I searched so... yeah

I’d appreciate recommendations for mtl sites as I’ve never done it but I want to. Free and paid, as I don’t mind doing a subscription for a while. I know manual told are much better so I haven’t gotten into mtl but I’ve gotten to the point I want to do some reading on my own too.
    Thanks!

also if you’re a frequent mtl maybe add a few tips for me? thx

2. death01239

death01239 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    does webnovels counts? anyay yamitl said he would make daster mtl web but idk
    ...the better wat? just urge the current tl to translate faster, buy them kofi or something to encourage them.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    LNMTL is my go to, and I sometimes prefer it even over htl. Mostly just because on LNMTL you can see the RAW so whenever something looks fishy I can just check the chinese and (usually) figure out what's up.

Also helps me learn a bit of Chinese while doing something I enjoy... (Though I read extremely slowly compared to when just reading a translated novel, so it gets a bit tiring.)

Ofc, LNMTL isn't an option if you want to read a novel that's not already on the site, unless you're a LNMTL mod—cause they can actually use just take any novel and use LNMTL to translate it.

So if what you want is to look for novels and read on your own, then you wouldn't really use a MTL site (at least not any I know of).

Most people just use google translate and roll with that, though personally I'd definitely not do that. At the very least I'd use something to make some basic terms (like adding all the names of all the characters in the novel you're reading), with e.g. Word Replacer II.

I still haven't figured out a good setup for doing that so I haven't mtled anything on my own for years by now.
    Depends on what you're going to do exactly and what you want to accomplish.

If you're going to MTL on your own or use a MTL site that shows RAWs, I'd definitely recommend having a popup dictionary like perapera (there's some other ones too but I haven't used them), it's very nice because it lets you just hover over chinese characters and it will be as if you had looked them up in a dictionary.

I still use online dictionaries at times though, and they're basically all based of this one iirc MDBG English to Chinese.
    Sometimes there won't be any results on any CN <=> ENG dictionary and that's when it's time to http://www.zdic.net/ (chinese characters that don't even show up in dictionaries at all, idioms that don't have any existing english translation etc.) and/or use google/baidu search, especially if it's some sort of slang, e.g. gaming terminology or memes and stuff.

Oh and I've only been talking about Chinese MTL, if it's JP or KR or any other language it might be a bit different, but they should still have similar resources.

White Empress likes this.
  5. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    www.mtl.com
    they also have the raws available on their site and they hosted more novels than LNMTL, some even unheard from who knows where. however, if you're someone who prefers to read in dark mode, go to LNMTL

6. White Empress

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!!! I’ll look at both, your tips are amazing

7. White Empress

Reading List:
    Link
    The link didn’t work for me ?

8. Aina Seira

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, sorry. I got it wrong. It's www.mtlnovel.com

9. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Aina Seira

Reading List:
    Link
  11. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    comrade mao is your best bet and then google translate
    lmtl is idiotic to read from, unless you wanna lose the last shred of intelligence in your brain dont. A month after doing lmtl, I started reading normal text as an mtl. the horrors

philosopher17 and White Empress like this.
  12. joyshu

joyshu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lnmtl is unreadable, though for system novels their color coding is convenient to read from.

Sometimes google translating the raws works, though it is usually a function of how well written the book is in the raw format.

I've found Comrademao (weird af name tbh) to be the closest to readable, followed by mtlnovel. Though comrade mao's catalog is increasingly veering towards terrible fan fictions than original webnovels, to the extent they can be called original . I haven't tried japanese and korean mtl yet, so can't comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.