Discussion Has anyone noticed that lines a bluring

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by EUGA, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    I have noticed lately that. The lines between cn and jp novels has blured and authors are now taking the worst parts of both to make storys
    Example they add nosebleeds and lollis(pedophiles) and beta cuck mcs who cant stand up for themselves but just adding cn names. Its kinda getting me to this point i hit with jp where it disgusts me that they would allow such blantantly disgusting stuff to pass as wwork. Like i get that they ran out of ideas but your taking these parts of works that have litterally ran japan as a country into the dirt and think people enjoy it. It really sucks because they will wait like 100 or more chapters before adding some shit like oh btw the mc has a life goal to fk a 12 year old even though he is 30 like please kill him instead. Idk just disgusts me what people tey to pass as acceptable with the cn novel scene these days

Akabane and Fishy_MC_FishMan like this.
  2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    what

3. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you not read it?

4. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Japanese stories generally do romance, and side characters better. I wish they would just borrow that part, and skip things like lollis.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Araenn likes this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SFACG novels are heavily JP inspired. Moreover, upto 99.9% of the recent novels now on Qidian(Chinese site) are system novels where the MC is transmigrated to a fantasy world with an OP system- basically the equivalent of a JP Goddess cheat reincarnation novel- and gets stronger without having to put in much effort. Maybe it's just me, but i noticed even their attitudes are beginning to resemble those of lazy, leisure seeking JP MCs.

Araenn, Astaroth, 01 and 1 other person like this.
  6. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    That's CN! Do you think originality is in their vocab? They like to copy stuff but make it worst.
    They like bootleg and copyright is non existant.
    There's only few good CN works but covered by pile of trash.

I found it utterly disgusted how JP sexualized their little sisters, now CN want to do it too...
    Atleast KR treats sisters as actual siblings not love interest ignoring those degenerate readers who want incest yuck...

I guess you can blame it on the demands. For some reason lot of men like lolis creating expultation for those trope. A man raise a little girl as a daughter, BAM! Future wifu get... yuck
    CN like to copy stuff but make it much worst.

7. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure that it’s always existed in both genres, what has changed is that most of the classic favorites have already been picked up and translated limiting what new translators have access to as well as what translators are willing to translate. Think of fanfiction.net, the quality varies greatly with more incomplete or incomprehensible novels than literary classics. CN and JN are not inherently better than English novels, but the best are getting chosen by the translators filtering out the worst options.

I don’t know which novel you are referring to, but it’s possible the translator was as surprised as you. Reveals like that don’t often happen past the 100 chapter mark and a good premise hooks even the best intentioned translator. The most professional translators will keep going to finish despite this, to complete their work despite the negative turn in the story. I just try to cheer them on. If it’s hard to read, it’s probably even harder to translate.

8. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Japan is a country where the rape of Nanking is not a thing. They have been trying to change the way Japanese people think about their own history, by changing historic facts in textbooks so the children learn about the "true" history. Maybe because of that some Japanese people are angry that the Chinese are angry about something they "didn't do" and want to paint them in a bad light through their novels?
    The Chinese are still salty about what happened (it's understandable that a government wants a formal apology, it's understandable that people that lived through those times or are the children of ones who did are angry, it's retarded for the younger generation to still be angry at the Japanese population. You can hate the Japanese government, but they are not every Japanese person on earth...)

Kind of like what is happening in India. I find it retarded how people mistreat others due to what the current victims' ancestors did to theirs. If it was in the last 100 years it's kind of understandable, because some people might still be alived that lived through those times and their children will see things similarly to them, but shit that happened more than a 100 years ago... why do you think it's justified to treat innocent people like shit, because of their ancestry?

And well, China is China. They repress their people, so probably they depicted the Japanese in a bad way because it gives them brownie points with the government.

01 likes this.
  9. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if its out of hatred though. I genuinely belive that they think it makes for good content.

10. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it counts as 'good content' to them, most of the time, it's because the stuff is 'what sells'.
    same like fast/junk food, good/healthy content? nope. taste delicious/sells alot? yep....

it's all about the demand and making profit baby.... quality? what's that can I fill my belly with it?

EUGA and 01 like this.
  11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see no problem here, if your CN novel is rom-com. If it's not, then it's probably one of those dumpster fires where the author extremely loves to make the protagonist suffer. I've heard of those and well shit, they're worse than JP NTR stories. CN NTR isn't that much painful, because it's been a running theme in power ups to greatness. JP NTR is either fan service or actual plot point; the former doesn't have common sense while the other has at least somewhat a reasonable explanation.

Nosebleeds have been a reoccurring theme in rom-com, suffice to say in JP and CN. As for KR novels, I don't know, since KR novels take romance as a sub-plot or nonexistent at all. As for the other two, well, China be China~ copy and paste. I'll tell you this, loser protagonists are common in CN novels, but to make them even lower than the average man, then you're likely entering that rom-com trope of having the male being blamed for everything. Yes, it's a thing and it's why tsundere madness still works in certain works; but of course, some fans have gotten bored or disgusted with the typical male unable to fight back against females with brawn or brain.

This is not recent to my knowledge. If you've been reading CN rom-coms that follow high school protagonists, or at least reading manhua, then it's part of their own subculture. Doesn't change the fact they copied it from the Japanese, but let's not get there with CN-JP drama.

Also which CN protagonist wants to fuck a 12 year old? Is this a modern protagonist or a cultivator? Real or virtual world? Never mind, I won't even bother.

EUGA likes this.
  12. MianaXenia

MianaXenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :/ I don’t really appeal to the topic of originality. Especially on the internet. You never know what is really is original. Plus it’s just how many types of MCs can you really think of? In 10 years can you really consistently come up with new MC personalities that aren’t the same or similar to another personality. It’s the internet, things that are interesting to the majority is taken and used for other things, that’s why you have popular novels. If you don’t like the characters of a novel, don’t read it, simple as that. Plus there are so many tags you can just filter the ones you don’t like out

kenar, Fishy_MC_FishMan and runsing like this.
  13. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ez answer?

Made in China.

Chinese copies everything in this world. What do you expect?

14. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    damn heretic

Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
  15. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chinese culture......

16. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Freedom of art or whatever. If they wanna waste their time to crank out mediocre non-memorable stories, sure. If people wanna waste their time reading those - good for them

Most Web novels I've read haven't gotten down the r of romance

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
    Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    really?
    what kind of story you read?
    idk such thing happen~

18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, the OP is just outright wrong. Unless the only Chinese novels you're reading are from SFACG, the webnovels of the respective countries are very different from each other, and there's very little cross pollination between them. I read a lot of Chinese novels and I'm very familiar with Japanese light novels and I can say for sure that, while the former do take a little from the latter, it really is only a little. Primarily, it's a few terms like "loli" and "moe", and the general isekai setup.

SFACG is basically a site for Chinese otaku writers so the stories are going to be pretty similar to their Japanese counterparts. And while the story structures of these books does feel pretty close, I think that the way they develop is still quite different and the actual writing is a completely different animal. Admittedly I don't read these a whole lot so maybe a more broad comparison could turn up more similarities.

As for other Chinese novels, not at all. They're about as different as you'd expect for books coming from two different literary traditions. And there's a vast gulf in the quality of the writing between the two. Chinese writers tend to be at least competent in how form their prose, and that's not something that can be confidently said of the Japanese ones.

No. Some Japanese web novelists can come up with interesting ideas, and that's more or less where the praise should end. Romance is all about quality conversations and compelling character interaction. And from what I've read, Japanese writers tend to be terrible at these things. Hell, there's maybe only a half dozen web novels where the conversations are worth reading at all. And when you as bad at writing characters as many of these writers are, the side characters are also going to be terrible.

Even mediocre Chinese writers tend to be a lot better than this, and the good ones are just vastly superior. I think that the biggest difference is that Chinese writers are just willing to put in a ton more effort into their work, and a lot of them take pains to improve their writing craft while the Japanese writers either don't care or outright reject proper writing technique. Then again maybe I've just been reading the wrong Japanese books so if anyone has good counter examples, I welcome them.

kenar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.