Discussion How do you discover novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ahs, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahs

ahs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title says. Personally, I read quite a few genres so I like clicking on novelupdate's random novel button a few hundred times, but I'd like to know what other people do.

2. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of ways that you can find a suitable nove. The ones I use are:
    1. Tags: by clicking on tags / genre, you can get a list of all the novels that have been tagged under that head. You can look into genre (action, romance,etc), tags (female protagonist, handsome male lead, beast companions, world hopping, transmigration, etc), status (completed, ongoing, hiatus), country (CN,KR,JP,etc), etc
    2. Series Finder: thus is more of an advance search. Go in the menu on NU and click on series finder, you can select your favourite options by clicking ones and excluding them by clicking twice on selection box. Also you can fill in the tags to be included and excluded in the space provided.You'll know how to do it once you get there.
    3. Title search: If you've enjoyed a particular type of novels, then search for the keyword that might commonly be used in the title of such novels ( transmigration, rebirth, villain, cannon fodder, demon, king, queen, concubine, male/female lead etc). Just type the keyword in search and the novels with those words in the title will be listed.
    4. Recommendations: Every novel has some recommendations that people think are similar. Also, any related series (if any) like a prequel or a sequel or a shared universe is also mentioned.
    5. Recommendation lists: you can further look into recommendation lists put up by NU users based on certain topic. For eg. I have compiled a list called (Simple.Romatic.Short) where I have put up short, light hearted, fluffy, stories that I find. And you can find other users lists on transmigration, their favourites, BL, Action etc.
    6. Groups: you might like the quality or novel choice of a particular translation group (Misty Cloud Translations, FoxTeller, WuxiaWorld,etc) and would like to see their other projects.
    7. Author: look into author's other works if you like their writing style.
    8. Author Recommendations: If you MTL a particular novel you will find that authors often leave Novel recommendations of their own or other authors works in their footnotes.
    9. Public Reading List: If you've seen a person's comment/ thread/ blog etc and feel like you've similar interests, you can check out their reading list (if they've made them public).
    10. Forum: Got a particular setting in mind or looking for well received novels or just need a public opinion or forgotten the title of a novel you've enjoyed before, simple : create a thread on forum with what's on your mind.
    11. Websites: The website you read a novel on, will most often have other novels published as well. Especially novel hosting websites like NU (there are many others including those who steal other's work without permission to post on their own site). Also if you go on raw sites, you might find some which haven't been posted here on NU.
    12. Random: The most annoying one that you've already mastered, so not gonna elaborate on it.
    Hope that helped. Also you can PM any friends you make here on NU to ask for suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Tofu Cat, Gitami and Neneee like this.
  3. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    I search tags and sort by chapters released

4. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How many chapter releases do u prefer?

5. Deleted member 234525

Deleted member 234525 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommendations from weibo.

6. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use the series finder a lot and sort by rating. After I read something, if I find a review that seems fairly insightful and with similar interests to me I look at what other stuff that person likes. I look for recommendations from forum members who seem to have read a good amount and show they have similar interests/criteria as me. Don't rely too much on 1 thing, but if I see the same title recommended from a few different sources then I'll probably priotize it.

7. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I judge a book by its cover using chinese apps

9. ahs

ahs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haha… couldn't be me <_<

10. ahs

ahs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure this will be helpful to someone! Not really what I was asking though, that's my bad lmao, could've phrased the question better.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read forum threads I'm interested in and see what people talk about and pick out the titles that look interesting. If I'm looking for specific kinds of books sometimes I'll check out large novel sites like qidian.com to see what's good but that techniques isn't as useful any more. Then again I have so many books on my to-read list that I really shouldn't be hunting for new books any more.

I find that NU isn't a very good resource for this purpose and that the tags are especially bad at finding what I want. Genre labels are also incredibly bad: something like a quarter (or fewer!) books in the historical genre are actually historical, and very few books with the wuxia label are actually wuxia novels.

12. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    I look for at least 100+ with a solid update schedule

13. Ram95

Ram95 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to use lists made by other people of their favourite novels. Sometimes I check the other works of an author who I liked (Er Gen, IET and etcetera)

14. Ram95

Ram95 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk I find the covers to be very deceitful on here. I saw a novel where the cover was the sword from Jorg from The Broken Empire. MMORPG: Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian for example aswell, the MC doesn’t even use a halberd

15. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Truthfully, i heavily rely on reviews. I have several favorite reviewers in NU that i keep a close watch upon, and only click stories that they deemed to be worthy for 4- 5 stars.
    Aside from that, i also use lists

16. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud We all need to pass the hydration test

Reading List:
    Link
    I go through recommended novels related to the novel I'm reading, there are lists of specific novels I like (I tend to be picky)... And reviews as well :blobpopcorn:

17. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    I have two ways often i use
    1. Ask my friend, he is like the filter of bad novel and i'll ask him what is good and then he'll recommend me
    2. Sort by rating and tag. I try to research some good stuff too

18. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly trough the review system, I search for people who have similar opinions to mine , then I see what they have read and rated highly.
    That way I have higher chance to find something I like.

19. Jeiyiii

Jeiyiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Twitter, users will mention if they are going to do the novels into dramas

20. Tsukkin

Tsukkin [is currently lurking]

Reading List:
    Link
    Searched it in ln/wn sites such as here, jjwxc, qidian, syosetu, etc using their tags and filtering system. But believe it or not i found the good ones only by luck. Sometimes i search for hours but i only found shitty novels, but sometimes i just click something random and i found a gem. My luck is quite weird...

SilverFeather likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.