Immortality - Blessing or Curse

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CrimsonPhoenix, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. Not being able to die at all? Curse. Eternal youth. Probably a blessing if you don't have anyone. Then if you find someone then it's a curse kinda. Now if I was offered eternal youth I would take it if it boosted my abilities to the point I would not get insane after a 100 years. But I would probably live for a millennium or 2 before killing myself.

2. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that'd suck the big one. royally.

Fulminata and Ha-Ha like this.
  3. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People, if you are unlucky enough to be given immortality, ask also for perfect memory, memory manipulation , removing boredom from your human trait and set your basic emotion to content.

Now, you are set for immortality.

Fulminata, Ha-Ha and CrimsonPhoenix like this.
  4. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on how depressed you are.

5. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you ruined everything with the spelling errors

Ha-Ha and Tilgarial like this.
  6. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrugs*
    *fixed (I think)
    Better? :'p

7. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, I'd say it's a curse, but it does depend on some variables, including:

1. How well can you handle people you love dying and leaving you behind?
    2. To what degree is your body harmed? "Immortal coma patient" sounds like a special form of hell.
    3. Does your body age and if so, to what degree?
    4. What is the financial and social situation of your body?
    5. How well can you remember your past? The human brain only has so much storage capacity after all
    6. What is the situation in your country / place of residence?
    7. ...

8. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of that can be done within 100 years. Immortality isn't needed for it

Villager Anonymous and Tilgarial like this.
  9. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
    I want immortality either way. I want it in my pursuit for knowledge. I’ve always felt I never had enough time to read the books I wanted to, to do the things I’ve never done before. 8-9 decades are too short.

If and when I become immortal, I’ll probably dive headfirst into this pool of history, I’d explore it till I know it like the back of my hands, every single detail, I’d learn every language that ever existed, I’ll create new languages, new scientific theories and laws.
    I want to live long enough to see the invention of the Time Machine so that I can go back to the time of the Indus Valley civilization, to the time when man couldn’t walk on two feet, to the time dinosaurs dominated the planet to before there didn’t exist a single creature. I want to see how life came about on earth, how galaxies formed and how the universe began. Once I’m done going back to the past, I’ll go back to present and then move on to the unpredictable future.
    I want to enough time to discover magic, to discover other worlds, universes. Then I’ll move on to unite them, and then I’ll a whole new history and many new histories to explore and way too many futures.
    If I ever fall in love, I’d turn the world upside down and make them immortal somehow .

I want to outlive this world, I want to live long enough that time and I become one and then I’ll rewind, all of it.
    There’s no way I’d remember all the stuff I learnt , read, explored and so I’ll do it all again.
    I want to outlive everything.
    Immortality, to me, would never be a curse.

Zeusomega and CrimsonPhoenix like this.
  10. Shunraiki

Shunraiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality..I read it as immorality, blessing or curse, and I was like dude, of course it a cursE, hahaha

11. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    If you had forever youth no diseases and the only way to die is suicide ill take it boy.
    Blessing for people who dont have family or attachments to ppl and are willing to see the rise and fall of humanity thro the aeons

12. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Perfect immortality starter pack.
    Don't forget eternal youth, flight, and night vision. Who knows, you might get bored and decided to take a dip in a blackhole

13. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember, with immortality, come responsibility. Do learn way to enable yourself to make stargate and travel the star ocean.

As Buzz Lightyear quote " To Infinity and beyond"

in other thought though, I wonder why Isekaied mc never asked for Tier 0:Transentient civ knowledge or Type 5 civilization knowledge.

Also, gamer ability in star trek universe is op.

Fulminata likes this.
  14. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    it's both
    you can be a loner for the rest of your life
    you can get bored of life but can't die
    your loved ones die before you
    you can live forever \_'3')_/

15. GoneGretel

GoneGretel Sequence 8: Student of Ratiocination

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the mood... :notworthy:

cowolter likes this.
  16. cowolter

cowolter Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A curse. You'd have to worry about living on Earth after all other life has died out except you and cockroaches. You'd have to worry about what to do after the sun is destroyed. You'd have to live through the collapse of the universe and the next big bang, which I'd imagine would get a wee bit uncomfortable.
    https://onplanners.com/templates/to-do-list

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Villager Anonymous likes this.
  17. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is definitely a curse, the only upside is being able to watch cockroaches go extinct(along with other pests such as wasps, mosquitos, and humans).

18. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    If your loved ones are mortals then it's a curse, otherwise you could have other immortals to accompany you and probably commit suicide after a few thousand years due to boredom. Unless you get enlightened or something so you don't get bored ever, difficult to say from our perspective.

19. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    The true drawback to immortality is the world itself.

If one is immortal on earth, the first thousand years would seem fine, roaming all around the world, seeing things only time could show..

But when you've seen it all, heard it all, felt it all, the world becomes smaller and smaller and one final day, it becomes a cage.

Ofcourse if this was to come at space era where intergalactic travels were possible, immortality is a crucial crucial power.

The only two thing that makes it impossible to reach the ends of reality are

-- Speed

-- lifetime.

If one was immortal, even if it was a bit slow they would still be able to live long enough.

(Ofcourse, speed is still the most important. universe and matter maybe expanding exponentially, if speed isn't upto mark one will find lagging behind, never reaching any further.)

Anything emotional is related to mortality of others around them. Even a cold hearted fool will find it difficult to see ants dying so fast.

Ofcourse again this is temporary to strong willed ones. Take it as a filter on who deserves immortality, if one falls into insanity not able come to terms with this then they just didn't deserve it. The ones to come out of it sooner find they've gone past what was "mortality", even if they said they're human, deep down they've known it's just names with no value.

So yeah.. it's like a baby. Put it in a small room with few toys? It will get bored and start to cry after few plays. Put it in a ever expanding room with unlimited amounts of varied toys? It will keep playing till eternity crumbles....

20. Oya oya

Oya oya Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I agree it's more of a curse. What's the use of being immortal if you were all alone in the end? Sometimes life hurts more than death. Reminds me of Hidan from naruto, having immortality but buried alive must really suck.