Discussion Erasing memories... could solve a lot of problems?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Can it, though?

1. Yeah?

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No, nothing will change.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. It will make things worse!

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you think?

Have a problem concerning X or Y? ERASE X OR Y 'MEMORY' INCLUDE 'I'.

Of course, it can't solve everything, because the physical mess would still be there; unless, you erase every participant and observer to said mess?

I bet I would have fun and easier life if I could scan and erase memories of my choosing. I can even afford a job just for such an ability and earn lot's of cash.

Fulminata likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds fun but it actually will lead to many issues later

3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    If any government agency found out about you, your only options are to work in captivity where you're under maximum security and subjects are brought to you to have memories erase or you'll just end up on the surgical table and dissected.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A nice, hard conk on the head works! :blobokhand:
    (If movies are to be believed)

6. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So ... Eternal Sunshine?

X-kun likes this.
  7. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    memory loss may sound good, but the sheer thought of mot remembering something puts a heavy toll on the mind and body which may result in brain damage......

8. Eternal Liar

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends if you realise the importance of the memory you've lost. I realise I forget things everyday and assume if they were important enough I would have recalled them.

9. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, nothing will change, sure I can forget all the times I had been bullied, the moments when I got humiliated in front of the whole neighborhood and entire school. All those times I will like to forget because it is these memories that haunt me till date. But for me right now, with no amazing talents or even proper skills in the workforce other than being a mechanical engr, to forget the bad times is good, but ultimately nothing will change, there are more horrible times afoot and problems after problems to be solved in near future, how many time can I use the spell and end up going insane?

spchntrt and Return like this.
  10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you want to erase memory for security reasons, I think most people would benefit from the retaining upsetting memories so they'll be able to learn from the experience: Don't do this or I'll be embarrassed again. So instead, why not wish for the ability to manually toggle off the emotion trigger from the memory. You'll just remember the incident and understand that its consequences were bad, yet it won't haunt you just for recalling it.

11. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would depend on how the process worked. If you just had to look at someone and could do it without gestures or verbal ques, it would be quite hard to link to you. Still, once the government had some trail of you in their computers, it wouldn't matter if you erased their agent's minds or not. You could still mostly get away, though.

Knowing a plastic surgeon would be needed for such a situation.

12. X-kun

X-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well maybe its good in some situations like forgetting all the cringey moments you had but it will ruin your experience and you might end up redoing the same mistake.

Return likes this.
  13. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you'd get people who do this for a living and people forcefully doing it to people they've wronged or want to take advantage of.

14. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Erasing memory has a lot of problems, it's like how a crop circle is very noticable in the middle of a crop field. As such overwriting memories seems to be a better option to me. If done skillfully, with minimum changes, there will hardly be any side effects or problems.

15. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it

Return and ExcitableFoci like this.
  16. Eternal Liar

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt a plastic surgeon would help if they monitored your family and friends instead if they're keeping track of you. Unless you plan to live a life detached from them. Also generally your ability wouldn't be discovered if you didnt use it blatantly and frequently.

17. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ExcitableFoci likes this.
  18. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    100% agree mine is similar to yours and I stopped being hunted by them to remember then go past without feeling anything I have reached enlightened thought as I have lost the desire to torment myself because of what I did in school and started to shape myself in college then determine my own way in my third year now I am only one step from getting a job and starting to deal with real trouble

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd love to erase memories whenever I am told a spoiler about a novel in reading, or whenever I go to re read a series. I don't really have any painful memories though so all that would happen is I would increase my enjoyment of things.

20. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do that but the amount of time and actions lead to me not having any emotions when I remembered bad times is me having to go through something like breaking down completely and then reshape and build that phase took alot of effort mentally and physically and I had to test every one around me especially myself then go through similar things that I made so that I deduced that I at that time will make the right decision not repeating the same mistake then have a time with myself to sort myself out and know how to manage my own life with my own hands and I found the answer only after I got corona and got rid of my taste and smell senses which was the final push that made me realize