questionable confession (Tedtalk?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bakaturq, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    So, my mom was playing a video very loudly on her phone, so I couldn't help hearing bits of it.

It was a women holding a talk about grief.

Her husband had died of heart attack while driving a car after a workout at a gym.

Then when she mentioned the part about watching his casket being lowered into the ground, the audience clapped their hands and i was like
    [​IMG]

The she continued. She said that her friend tried to console her, saying that there could have been something worst. So she asked, how could there be anything worse than her husband's death.

Hee friend replied, he could have been driving their kids when his heart attack happened.

And here is what she said: 'i realised in that moment, that I am grateful. Grateful that it happened when he was driving alone'

And again i was like
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    AHAHAHAHAHA OMG THATS SO DISTURBING.
    Yeah, the fact is, knowing that something worse could happen, or that someone is having a tougher problem than you, wont make your problem go away AT ALL.
    She and her friend could've worded it better

3. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read that title as questionable question :blobmelt::blobmelt::blobmelt:

nyamachi and Fulminata like this.
  4. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He could have been eternally tortured by Satan in fire and brimstone, but he picked the I do not consent to torture form when he died.

Lesson- Always read the fine print

Devil of Boredom likes this.
  5. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell your mom to watch sarah montana

6. Svalinn

Svalinn [IMG][/IMG]

Reading List:
    Link
    dafuq?
    the husband could've caused an accident that could've resulted in hundreds of lives being lost if his car was actually rigged with explosives and he accidentally drove through a crowded area where his car might've stopped and might've overheated that would then cause some sort of magical combustion that would then trigger the accidental placement of explosives in his car, thankfully he died alone in agony...

Alvastar likes this.
  7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    That's... so weird.

8. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That really could have been worse for the family. Then again, anything could have been worse if you let yourself think about it.

The husband could have jerked the wheel during the heart attack and swerved into the other lane and triggered a massive pileup. He could have swerved into a telephone pole that fell over and triggered a pileup, but also the loss of power could have affected a hospital's grid and they lost people in surgeries as well as the ICU. The grid that could have been affected could have been a main hub in the region and cascaded out causing an entire country blackout, loss of the entire stock market and businesses across the country. Then, the woman is having her husband's estate sued for damages.

It really could have been worse.

Fulminata likes this.
  9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is that sort of world that we live in :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2020
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oh it talked about attitude how to react when bad thing happen~
    well it can get worse is on this cat culture pretty normal~ if you can't get it then different culture perhaps~
    it extreme way to say deal with it if we look on pessimist pov~

blues86, nyamachi and Fulminata like this.
  11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure that's from a tedtalk? Was there an actual lesson in the talk?

Lazriser likes this.
  12. RRat

RRat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, what the f? How could you feel grateful when the love of your life is gone forever? That woman said there could be worse, yeah I get that, but your husband still died. You cant erase some of the sadness by thinking of worse scenarios:blobunsure:

13. TheBookWorm

TheBookWorm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Positivity at it's finest(?) I guess. Well her friend is technically right, but it's kinda morally wrong. But what bothers me was that audience actually clapped at that part tf?

nyamachi likes this.
  14. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol Joke's on you! In these kind of shows, there is usually one guy in the front holding a sign that says "Applause" which they use when they "think" it is appropriate for the audience to clap. They really are not encouraging the person, they're just following the instructions on the sign!

15. TheBookWorm

TheBookWorm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that's how it works. Well whoever that guy is either not listening or just sick if he/she think that part was funny.

16. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's not exactly funny, you know. It may be an appropriate time for showing appreciation for her strength, that she still live and take care of her kids, paying rents, giving a goddamned tedtalks even after her husband-somebody that she loved deeply, and perhaps thought would be her partner till she grows and bear the burden of life together, died and not succumbing to depression?

Maybe when she said that she's 'grateful', she thought about how her husband could be driving with her kids at that time and how could she
    continue to live if her kids died with her husband? No matter what, death is a matter of "it is what it is" and something that can't be changed. You can only, say, 'deal with it'. Like depression, the coping mechanism that work for each person varies. Maybe this works for her.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    blues86 likes this.
  17. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why hate the husband? He did no harm. Heart attacks are sudden but their causes aren't; either he had a condition or was living a very unhealthy lifestyle.

18. EverydayNeedsSomeAction

EverydayNeedsSomeAction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your reaction is also my reaction

Sabruness likes this.
  19. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    that attitude isnt wrong, per se, but i would think it's generally not something said out loud and/or in a public way as it sounds really callous.

20. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    This way of thinking or attitude is actually quite common here. I won't say it is right or not. It's how some people deal with misfortune and it's not for everyone.
    I remember my friend had accident while riding her scooter. It was near a final test, so she couldn't attent the test and had to repeat it next year. Later, my friends and I visited her. She told us how it happened then she said, "It could get worse you know, thankfully I rode carefully that day or I might break my hands and feet."
    And the test, she said it didn't really matter she could take it next year and she was grateful that she is stil alive.

Something similar also happened to me when my mom passed away after three days on hospital. Some people said to me, "it could get worse, she could suffer longer and in pain." My reaction? Did I feel grateful? No, I am not. But I somehow understand them, it's how some people deal with something that can't be changed. They try to think positive and let it go.