Question Have you ever read a novel in 追妻火葬场 "Groveling in the Crematory" genre?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fuyuneko, Jul 3, 2020.

?

Have you ever read a novel in 追妻火葬场 "Groveling in the Crematory" genre?

1. Yes, and I like it

42.9%
  2. Yes, but I didn't like it

4.8%
  3. No, but I am interested in giving it a try

19.0%
  4. No, and it doesn't sound appealing to me.

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I'm posting this for Fringe Capybara

I like Hong Bai's translation of 追妻火葬场 "basically act tsundere and need to woo your lady love after you drop the rock on your own foot" - taken from ch 8 of SFLQT as well as ToastedRossi's description below.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Nekura and Fulminata like this.
  2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sort of have. The difference though is that, in the book I have in mind, the protagonist is a woman and it's her husband who does the grovelling. It's also not a Romance novel so while it is the key relationship in the story, it's still not what the book is about.

I've read another book where the protagonist cheats on the woman and tries to grovel but he ends up failing. So eventually he just keeps tabs on her and secretly helps out financially but otherwise stays out of her life. Romance is more important in this story but it's not really what most Romance fans are looking for. It is very much about a man trying to right his own misdeeds though.

Fulminata and Fuyuneko like this.
  3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    No, and it doesn't sound appealing to me.
    I don't think I'll find a novel about grovelling that interesting.

runsing and Fuyuneko like this.
  4. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, and I'd like to add that I'd love to read books like this. I'm way more interested in human drama than in powers, and I welcome recommendations. However, I only read Chinese books in the original so I wouldn't read any translations.

These books aren't really about grovelling. They're redemption stories where it takes hard work to undo the mistakes of the past. But at the same time they acknowledge that people make mistakes and that it's possible to learn and grow from them. I think that they have a huge amount of potential if you care about drama.

chrissy987 and Fuyuneko like this.
  5. aaeiklm

aaeiklm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it (*cough* mostly the angst *cough*) but I tend to drop it if being an a-hole includes cheating. I feel like IDWTBL falls into this genre and it's one of the novels I dropped. Because another thing abt this genre is that sometimes it feels like the ML didn't grovel enough? If that makes sense :blobsweat:

tabushechka, chrissy987 and Fuyuneko like this.
  6. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk never heard of it until this thread comes outs....

7. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    i like it, as long as the woman would never forgive him, or that she had died and it's impossible for the man to ever get his redemption :aww:. the same thing applies if the gender is swiped

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nope~
    maybe~
    da idea sound familiar tho.... maybe some element~

9. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. basically usually involving reborn or quick transmigration, when the mc is chasing after love interest who loved them but was always ignored by mc, until it was to late to realize... I don't usually like it unless it's done very well... usually mc chase li who was cold to them after they were reborn. in case of double reborn.

10. Reading Queen

Reading Queen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more of a trope than a genre. Like any tropes, it depends on how it's executed so I don't know if I'll like it until I read it.

11. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that human interactions are complex enough and varied enough that forgiveness is possible but not a foregone conclusion. To do otherwise would be to either say that people aren't allowed to make mistakes or that all mistakes have to be forgiven. Ideally these stories should have a bit of tension as to which way it can go and the extents that the characters are willing to go to achieve what they want.

It's probably distinctive enough from regular Romance novels to be considered at least a subgenre. It would certainly be more useful than whatever "Action" or "Adventure" genres are supposed to be.

aaeiklm, Fulminata and Fuyuneko like this.
  12. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a common movie trope, it can be good if handled well, but I haven't seen it handled well in Asian novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.