Romance of The Three Kingdoms

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by asriu, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    who is your favourite character and why? or which character you like?
    which part, arc or scene is your favourite?

ubul, cao cao, zhuge liang
    zilong to the rescue, chi bi, summon the wind, empty gate strategy
    those are among this cat like~

btw this cat rush read on last printed book of 4 cuz da owner too stingy so not really clear about it ending~ actually maybe since north campaign~
    maybe need to replay dynasty warrior again to see ubul~

shot it should be on novel discussion not novel general section.... oh well
    both sleep small.png

Hate, kkgoh, lychee and 1 other person like this.
  2. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ma Chao. Because despite being a real life douchebag (random murderer, betrayed his parents, left his family, etc), he was re-written/romanticized as an awesome guy. Great example of how history can be rewritten :rolleyes:

Somewhat off topic, anyone tried "Total War: Three Kingdoms" yet? How does it stack up to RoTK XIV?
    Like most Asian kids, been a sucker for those Koei strategy games growing up ...

[​IMG]

asriu likes this.
  3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a bunch of Three Kingdoms retellings and they all seem to play up how Cao Cao was a pretty cool guy and they went in on redeeming Lv Bu, so I'll pick those two.

asriu and kkgoh like this.
  4. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I played both and Total War is a whole different beast than RoTK. RoTK is for dumb kids who can't play games. TW3K is for people who want something more realistic than stupid movies.

The game pays you massively to think outside the box and have the balls to do it strategically. There are guys who could get you the win in barely a dozen turns or so with minimal battles. There are people who got into wars they can't end or win after 300 turns.

Tactically, forget whatever you read in the novels. Find proper classical war battles to learn from or watch other people play. Flanking, hold the line, maneuver, generals, terrain, using troops to counter other troops, formations, timing and how you deploy will all be important to win.

They split the game into a "romance" which is closer to a novel/arcade style and easier to play and a "historical" which makes your general human and troops a lot more realistic.

If you are new, play the romance. It's a lot more fun and it's fantastic when Lubu just charge into a group of enemies and slaughter them all like a demon.

If you think wanted to be someone facing real problems an actual general would be facing then play the "historical". Your heavy armored troops will get tired as you make them run. Light armored troops will get slaughtered by arrows, generals will get killed if the cavalry can sneak through and attack the guards or just by a stray arrow.

Lubu is my favorite. Because I could use him to single handedly to hold an army while my archers kill them from afar.

Also, playing TW3K would give you a different view compare to the novel. I really like Dong Zhou and Cao Cao after the game. Dong Zhou was a misunderstood hero and Cao Cao was the last loyalist to the Han Empire (the Han ended after he died). It's extremely different compare to the fake story in novel.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Gitami, asriu, kkgoh and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    As child I play dynasty warriors 3
    I always like Ling Tong
    [​IMG]

asriu likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    beside ravage of the times I don't know other retelling, put cdrama aside... any suggestion preferably it can be read online~ not something like my father in law is lubu type cuz that kinda meh

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    These three

asriu likes this.
  9. asriu