Do you think NU's review mostly negatives?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Ram5, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I look up at some novels and they had lots of 2-3 stars, although they provide a lengthy review, I don't know if that is objective or subjective, at least it didn't just write 'THIS NOVEL SUCKS!' like that...

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a change in Nuffian generation, and more critics in NU. Aside from that, nothing big happened.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most novels in here do suck...

Exkelsior, tedy2004, Kirill and 5 others like this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve learned from experience that if a novel has lots of 2-3 star reviews, there’s probably a good reason. I also see a lot of novels that have zero 1-3 star reviews. Sometimes, I’m the only person to write one, because I disagree with the majority opinion. Anyway, I see negative reviews as a good indicator if a novel has something in it I won’t like, so I often check the negative reviews as well as the ratio between good to bad reviews before starting a new novel.

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I ignore reviews altogether and just read things that look interesting. I'll probably drop everything I read at some point over the years anyway, so no use worrying about it.

kenar, TaffyGirl13, runsing and 5 others like this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This but unironically

Exkelsior and Rickymex like this.
  7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many novels I wasn't particularly impressed with have overwhelmingly positive reviews. So, IMO it's just the opposite. That or I'm very fussy, niche reader and whatever bothers me in a novel apparently is isn't an issue for the majority.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  8. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you get so much information from them.
    All I get from 5 star reviews are generally ones that seem fake like “Best novel ever” Best I’ve ever read, etc.

GregLikesBooks, tedy2004 and Arkantos like this.
  9. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having a lot of negative reviews is a lot more helpful to readers.

Unless you know the reviewer, understand their tastes and how they differ from yours, and trust their opinion, positive reviews are rarely useful. Reading negative reviews (or at least positive reviews that also point out flaws) tells you a lot more about whether or not you'll like it, as long as they go into detail and don't just say that it sucks.

Calahan, Rivenn and Westeller like this.
  10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think that negative reviews ought to be more numerous than positive reviews, especially for the majority of the series hosted here. With the length of most works, nothing is going to stay good forever. So the positive reviews are more like compromises.

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People get tired of reading so many novels - so many loooong novels - that have so much in common and just aren't particularly amazing. At some point, everything starts looking bad to them, even if they would have enjoyed it a year or two ago. And they learn to spot flaws they didn't notice at first. ... That aside, who's going to leave a review? Someone who enjoyed a novel, or someone who wants to complain about it? It's not that surprising if you see more of the latter.

"THIS NOVEL SUCKS!" would be rejected, which is why you don't see reviews like that. Review approval has very few requirements; just one, really - that you actually say something about the novel. No unhelpful one word reviews. And no random rants about you favorite movie star's hair or, more often, your opinion of the translator. At least not unless the hair has something to do with the novel.

kenar, Hazel00, tedy2004 and 3 others like this.
  12. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I dare to call a novel suck in my review I would also include proofs to back up my point so you guys will understand where I am coming from.

13. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    My rule of hand

Read 1-5 chapters, and then read reviews, and then small spoilers to know what you are getting into.

Read the positive reviews first and then the most liked negative with more completion of novel ( better are ones who read raw or MTL) that would be good to get the clear image.

14. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh reviews are poop anyway most of the time, the only somewhat reasonable reviews are 2-4 stars one that have pros and cons.
    Is there mostly bad reviews on NU? I doubt it a little especially on good novels.

15. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews (and ratings) are always subjective. The most helpful reviewer imo isn't one who agrees with you 100% of the time (though those kinds are helpful too, if you want some quick recs), it's the reviewer who details what exactly they liked/disliked and why they liked/disliked something, because then you're able to tell if those things are dealbreakers for you or not. There's plenty reviews I don't necessary agree with but that I found helpful simply because they were so detailed about what they liked/disliked.

16. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Statistics always explain things clearly. Stupid and smart authors is about 50% of Each. So is reviewers.

So only about 25% of smart people and smart reviewer come together. Usually it's the cream of the crop. U been seeing the reviews of the other 75%.

17. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of complainers as the Karens of the novel community. Do you really think they're going to hold their mouths back? :blobjoy:

18. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    simple really

insta 1 star tags :

RAPE, ISEKAI, smUT, slow life, the list goes on~

fking noobs

19. clmbheat

clmbheat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at both good and bad reviews that have a lot of chapters read. So if a novel has 2000 chapters and most of the good reviews are only uo to chapter 200 or 300 that may not be a good indicator, Same with bad reviews.

20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about reviews is that they tend to be extreme. The people that leave reviews either love the work so much they have to share it or hate it so much they also have to share it. The unfortunate thing is that legendary remarkable works are very rare, it's uncommon for people to generate masterpieces or it would not be a masterpiece, hence the reviews end up concentrating to the opposite end.

The best reviews as some have already mentioned are ones that itemize what they do not like about the story. This lets you judge if the material is acceptable to you or a hard pass.

kenar and TaffyGirl13 like this.