Spoiler I Married an Exasperating Eunuch

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Apaylia blackrose, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Apaylia blackrose

Apaylia blackrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Married an Exasperating Eunuch
    [​IMG]

Novel Summary
    Chen Hui had traveled through the passage of time, but – when she woke up, there wasn’t even a single female servant surrounding her who exclaimed her return to consciousness. Instead, the only person standing in front of her was an exasperating eunuch who pinned her with a malicious glare whilst remarking sarcastically, “Since Lady Chen despises and shuns lowly eunuchs such as myself, I won’t force myself upon you. But, if you’re hoping for me to release and return you back to your family, then my only advice is for you to give up all such hopes! You will never be able to leave my household for the rest of your life, so you have little choice but to stay here till you die!”

Chen Hui: …

It turns out, that Chen Hui had time traveled, and awoken in the body of a lady who had attempted to commit suicide (by ramming her head against the pillar) to display her staunch refusal to marry an exasperating eunuch. However, in order to fill her belly full and keep her body warm, Chen Hui had no choice but to continuously think of different ways and means to approach the exasperating eunuch, to get to know more about the exasperating eunuch, to please and bootlick the exasperating eunuch, and to seduce… No, wait, forget about seducing that exasperating eunuch. = =|||( ⊙ o ⊙ )

The eunuch Li Youde had spent his entire life being a callous, deceitful, and sly person. Never in his wildest dreams did he think that all he could think about during his most desperate hour was – how the mischievous, pampered, trouble-making enchantress at home would be able to continue living a worry-free and comfortable life without him by her side.

- Description from Novelupdates

Details
    Short Title : IMEE
    Original Title : 嫁給一個死太監
    Author : Ling Luo Cheng Ni
    Type : Web Novel
    Genre : Romance

Novel updates link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-married-an-exasperating-eunuch/

2. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    So is he an eunuch or not?

3. Apaylia blackrose

Apaylia blackrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know.. Want gossip.

Spoilers please

4. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to translator. Ml is an actual eunuch

5. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a first.

girrlit likes this.
  6. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, he don't have that his little genital, so his private part was cut off.

7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there an appeal to eunuchs? It was such an inhumane practice.

8. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup .
    Cough i don't know the details . Just read a few first chapters but didn't have the patience to read mtl .

9. ws335

ws335 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope they continue to translate this. I got impatient and MTLed a bit. It's interesting because the ML is not incredibly overpowered like a lot of MLs in novels, but is a very flawed character.

At some points I really wondered why the emperor gave this sort of person power given that he doesn't seem to have that much skill as an official (like the in time where he's supposed to observe the army). And he's rude to nearly everyone (granted most people are also rude to him), and that doesn't really change. This makes the major relationship conflict (that the ML doesn't really believe the main character could really be in love with him) fairly believable.

Also, yes, he's really a eunuch.

10. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, they could marry and they weren't celibate
    They could also form families but not biological ones.

11. Rania want to QT

Rania want to QT Love my Wi-Fi

Reading List:
    Link
    We're here for spoilers not gossip.
    Tell me the events

Skrin likes this.
  12. -NEAR-

-NEAR- ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers pls:blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

13. Karlysle

Karlysle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    please give me some spoilers~ will lady jiang be a trouble?

14. Pakhi

Pakhi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoiler ?? Are there any villain??:cookie:

15. I-just-wanna-be-slug

I-just-wanna-be-slug Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup there is if im not wrong the prince is the villain.

16. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has a manga as well on Billibilli, English title is Married to a Stupid Eunuch.

Haven’t read the whole thing, but I actually really like it. I feel like several story choices were made specifically to be counter to tropes you see in a lot of these stories.

-ML’s an actual eunuch. I’ve just seen a lot of stories where the ML is a “eunuch” but it turns out that he’d somehow gamed the system and gotten a powerful eunuch position with his dangly bits intact. Ya know, despite the extreme level of scrutiny he’d be under and the fact that that sort of thing was fanatically well documented and everything.

-Lady Jiang has all the hallmarks of an villainess concubine/wife who uses back courtyard schemes to try to get rid of the MC. She even starts down that road, pulling a couple light power plays to sound the MC out when she first arrives. But then the MC makes the best decision just has a frank conversation with her. Basically goes “look, you’ve been here a while and eunuch Li has been courteous to you, but hasn’t made a move this entire time. So clearly he didn’t take you in because he has the hots for you, and therefore another woman on the scene shouldn’t have any affect on your livelihood. It’s not like you want him either, you just want a safe and comfortable living arrangement. I want the same thing, and us getting into it would a jeopardize that. So let’s make a peace agreement and just not do this.” And lady Jiang sees the sense in this and agrees.
    Later when the MC and ML start getting close she gets worried and we again see that she could fulfill the spiteful concubine role. But instead she goes to sound the MC out peacefully. She isn’t as direct as the MC but conveys that she’s worried she’ll become an eyesore to be gotten rid of if the MC and ML get together for real, and the MC assures her that even if the relationship changes she will keep to the peaceful agreement they made. And lady Jiang chooses to believe her and (at least to the point I read) doesn’t try to pull anything.
    Anyone who’s read these types of stories are used to seeing the scheming woman fighting for prominence role, and I think it’s actually more interesting here to see this same cliche set up perfectly and then have the character not fulfill it out of pure sensibility. Usually these women ignore all signs that it’s a bad idea to go full tilt ahead even after a few failures. And lady Jiang would even have a better reason than most to viciously protect her position. Her family committed a crime and she was thrown into a department where she was basically a sex slave, and if she ever gets thrown out of eunuch Li’s courtyard she’d be sent back there. So it’s understandable that she could be ruthless about not letting MC overtake her place in the household. It’s not that she can’t be terrible, the story makes it clear she has the brains and willingness, she just weighed her options and that path lost out.

17. -NEAR-

-NEAR- ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda skimmed the raws for the manhwa and based on the images it seemed like ML was chasing/courting Lady Jiang but she’s cold to him. I think this is how it was idk I forgot, but my question is what’s the relationship between ML and Lady Jiang? Also, why did the ML take her in when he doesn’t even like her?

18. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There doesn’t really seem to be an indication he was attracted to her. He checks up on her and treats her well, but in my opinion it was more in the vein of taking care of a weak dependent rather than a would be lover. She’s wane and lethargic and dealing with some genuine trauma.

Not 100% sure on why he pulled her into his courtyard. Possibly partially pity. And I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with her family and her father may have been innocent.

EDIT: I’ve since read more of the story and wanted to give a more accurate answer

Basically it all comes down to the ML having a massive chip on his shoulder over being a eunuch. The author is being relatively historically accurate about how much everyone in ancient China looked down on eunuchs for being ‘not-quite’ men and unable to have a lineage and etc. As much as the ML likes raising the ranks, it still doesn’t offset how much general anger and bitterness he has over his state of being.
    A lot of what happens in the story is a direct result him lashing out at people who look down on him for being a eunuch. MC has to go with him to the front lines because as another character points out the commander there will invariably rail against answering to a eunuch and the ML’s response will absolutely be petty and vindictive and likely get himself into trouble in that scenario and the MC is the only one who can reel him in.

He took in Lady Jiang solely as yet another effort to thumb his nose at people. She wanted out of where she was and by taking her in he was able to metaphorically go ‘see, it doesn’t matter that I’m a eunuch I still have a pretty well-bred lady in my inner courtyard’. She’s basically just like a pretty vase, something to look nice and add value to the home but it just sits on a pedestal and you don’t do anything with it.
    The text makes it pretty clear that he’s just not really capable of having the hots for anyone, and he’s also kinda a prude, so any attraction is largely emotional. The second she shied away from him any interest he had in her evaporated. But she’s well bred and polite enough that she doesn’t insult him and below his bitterness he has a sense of responsibility, so he’s going to take good care on her so long as she’s in his courtyard.

Really though, half the comedy in this is from the MC coming onto him and his response is always embarrassed panic and trying protect her nonexistent modesty.
    A decent part of why their relationship progresses and why she can reel him in from his more severe responses when people insult him is that she takes revenge for him. She can talk circles around people and usually leaves them furious and publicly embarrassed, but it’s ultimately a whole lot kinder than his revenge would be.
    It strikes him like a lightening bolt out of the blue when he realizes he can make the MC his paired eating parter (basically as close a eunuchs can normally get to a marriage partner), so it’s pretty clear he was never all that interested in Lady Jiang.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    eagerreadergirl likes this.