Sniping

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Chattyxx, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello! I'm not super sure about what sniping constitutes? But I stumbled upon something about NU not uploading links to a novel if it's sniped? May I check if anyone's got the link to that post and/or ways to contact the mods to ask about this? I don't really want to make it ugly, but I feel that the other translator has a lot of shady comments about my tl... Thank you!

2. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I found the thread, and I saw that this doesn't apply if the other translator TLed from the start of the novel. I guess I'll just continue doing my thing then... TBH my problem is mainly with the comments shading other TLs, which likely is referring to me, and the fact that they stated they were learning the language while they TLed. I don't know what's up with the contradiction, but I really dislike the way they're shading me and the other TLs that worked on the novel.

3. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the issue is that a lot of novels get poached/sniped because it's popular and other tls want a slice of that popularity and money. The other tl doesn't know of your intentions (so they might had assume this was the case), but they are also overreacting since you are starting from chapter 1 and not whatever chapter they just finished posting.

4. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh nope! I'm the original TL!

5. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See the thing is, I'm not that upset over the fact that they're sniping the novel I'm TLing, it's more of the problem of how they're treating my TL? Like they're really talking down on my TL even though they stated that they're learning Chinese as they TL and I've personally been translating for an extended period of time and had never had a problem with my quality of TL before. I definitely don't claim to have brilliant translations, but I really would prefer if the other TLer does not talk down on me so much? Especially when they translated a lot of things the wrong way.

6. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    ...then why the shady comments from them :sweating_profusely:

big oof

7. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's my main problem with it. Like I wish novelupdates would do a case by case basis in this case? Because I really feel that there's a lot of negativity I personally don't feel I deserve? If my translations are bad, I'd prefer you talk it out with me instead of sniping and then shading me on your translation.

8. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, all I can offer is a willing ear if you wanna vent about it? (Since it really sounds like you need a good vent about it.) So, come join the Foxaholic Discord for a less public forum? (link on the foxaholic website)

9. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might take you up on that offer...

10. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Might be a bad suggestion. But since this is a translator's corner. You could post a segment of translation that you both have a problem with and the corresponding raw segment.

If the other translator wants to learn, I don't think he/she would have a problem with it.

Of course this can go terribly wrong, since a lot of people tend to deviate from discussing translation issues.

If you don't mind, could you tell me which novel it is?

Fuyuneko likes this.
  11. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think OP has a problem with inaccurate translation. I think she's just frustrated of the other translator's attitude of shading her efforts which is ridiculous considering he/she's comparing herself to someone (I'm assuming) who is actually a speaker of the language herself.

Honestly, translators should just stop shading each other. This applies to MTL-ers who don't even know a lick of the source language even more so. Why can't we all maintain a sense of propriety and respect people's work without bashing the other party to lift themselves up??

nananna, TaffyGirl13, Snowbun and 3 others like this.
  12. ryuxenji

ryuxenji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I've been shaded before too and I don't respect it. If you have a problem with my translation, come up and say it to my face -- er, well, my virtual face (unless you actually know me in real life). :blob_grin:

I'm perfectly open to discussing my translation choices, and if someone makes a good argument or posits some constructive critique, it is well-appreciated. :3 I might disagree and stick to my guns at the end, but I will still respect the other side for their honesty and feedback.
    Making snide commentary in the background is just cowardice. :blobtriumph:

@Chattyxx You could try commenting on one of their posts inviting them to chat about what they find disagreeable about your translations and see if that helps? To avoid making it ugly, keep the tone of the invite neutral and move the chat to a more private platform before actually digging into the material. It sometimes helps to confront the other party and show them that their words are actually hurting someone real. Of course, they could be trolls and not care, but at least then you'll know you tried and can just drop the issue down to them being trolls.

tinkiness likes this.
  13. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep! I'm a bit iffy about their inaccurate translation, but I don't think that's really my problem. However, I'm frustrated with her shading since the book itself is tough to TL, and I know she's likely shading me because her comments were on the first chapter of the novel, and I did see some shade littered throughout her page. I just feel that if you're learning Chinese, then maybe be nicer about it? It's not polite to shade other TLs even though you're really new to TLing yourself. Personally, I'm not like doubting myself because of this, because I'm iffy about listening to someone with inaccurate TL... However, I don't understand her need to shade me in such a way.

14. Chattyxx

Chattyxx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep! I'd prefer an open discussion rather than shade. Exactly! If you have a problem with my TL, you can drop me a comment and I'll definitely see it! As long as you make sense, I'm open to change!

I... Alright, the thing is, someone I know did drop them a message, and the replies aren't very... Well, they kind of imply that if I were to message her, there might be some... unpleasant things coming. UH not that she said anything rude directly, but it's the tone. I was hoping she did not know about my group TLing, but sadly, she does, so it just makes it all the more obvious that whatever shade she wrote in her T/N was likely directed at me. I think everyone has different TL styles, and honestly, I've been learning Chinese for practically my whole life, so I don't know why she's implying that I don't know Chinese lol. Furthermore, I definitely work hard to produce the best TL possible so I really respect the work in general? I want to produce the best TL for this book because I really like it, and I admit I'm still lacking in many ways. However, in any case, if anyone reads my TL and has opinions on it, I'd prefer to be told directly rather than stumbling on another version on NU and having to go and read it to realize the other TL is shading me...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020