New Laptop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Chilli_Chiia, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Chilli_Chiia

Chilli_Chiia Trying to survive my courses

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,
    At the start of high school, my school required every new student to buy a MacBook air. However, this requirement was abolished a few years later as I sometimes see the yr 7s this year bring windows and other bands with them to school. My Macbook air is about to break in a way since when I click on my battery, it says replace now. I talked about this with a friend and she said that she's going to replace the battery but my other friend said to just buy a new one because she had some problems with the MacBook air so she just bought a MacBook pro.

My older sister suggested buying a silver pro since I enjoy art and one of my HSC subjects is VAT but I'm not too sure because I can't find enough info about it.

Does anyone recommend a work laptop that can handle video editing and hold loads of documents? Whilst being affordable since the Macbook pro is too expensive ($2000) and if anyone has information about the Silver pro. For example, storage space, applications, if it has access to chrome, easy to get used to an Apple user, etc?

Edit:
    The highest price I can go to is maybe $2000 but most definitely is $1800.

Edit 10/07/2020: I managed to delay the trip for a while.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Lurking likes this.
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend
    An ACER Predator.
    I bought one for $600.00 on eBay earlier this year. With warranty and shipping it was $900.00. And I have been so happy ever since.

upload_2020-7-7_16-4-6.jpeg

Good luck finding one too.

3. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one that sees problems here?

4. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can buy a new battery for a Macbook Air for like $50 so unless you really want a new computer and have the money, there is no reason to get a new one.

5. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I need a laptop for university as well and my dad insisted on buying a new laptop since it was my birthday not too long ago.

Or not every student but for every new student, the years before my year got their laptops given for free by the school.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  6. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They redeemed themselves a little in my eyes.

7. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    True.

Wait, isn't that a gaming laptop? Ah, I'm also saving up part-time money to buy a gaming PC but that thread will come later on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    It is, but I never game with it. I read manga, anime and novels on it. What I needed was what any laptop could give. So I chose this laptop mostly on looks. When I started to research more on it. The more I like it. My budget was around $300.00 to $600.00. The Predator was hitting $600.00. The Seller seem nice. Also this was my first computer I’ve ever bought and if I ever wanted to play a game I have the option. With it being my first computer. I figured if I made a bad choice. I would chuck it up as a learning experience and except my bad luck. Not only did I get an amazing laptop. I also got a gaming mouse. A cooling pad. A high end laptop bag. I also got an Xbox controller.
    I think I made out pretty well. I wouldn’t recommend eBay for everyone, but it did work out for me.
    Good luck finding yours.

Chilli_Chiia likes this.
  9. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Video editing? You mean final cut pro? Just buy Mac or MacBook. Pretty sure final cut pro only exist for Mac os.

10. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I was forced to buy filmora and I have an account so I don’t really need an apple I think?

11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin actually help me decide on a laptop also. He’s really good.

Chilli_Chiia likes this.
  12. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Chilli_Chiia likes this.
  13. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what you just said. I’m kinda a noob to technology things.

14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m the same way, but when you say it. I can’t help but think that was pretty cute.

15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Just checked the Ebay, Wow your guys have it tough outside of China. Clevo is ridiculous expansive.

upload_2020-7-10_0-55-25.png upload_2020-7-10_0-57-36.png
    Any decent models of pre-build pc can cost about 1700 usd second hands.
    upload_2020-7-10_1-0-46.png Actually not that bad if it's like last year, the price is too high now. since it's gtx1080 and those dropped alot.
    sager cost about 1000 usd and above not all are the good models but Clevo quality are away there.
    But then when I look at clevo website, https://clevo-computer.com/en/ it's almost like a scam page in English, what can i complain.

upload_2020-7-10_1-17-10.png
    In china Clevo CN85 15.6" 1080P 144h 45% Argb,
    8gb ram, 512GB ssd, Mx250, i5 9400 (desktop) cpu. H310 motherboard cost about 550.
    upload_2020-7-10_1-21-31.png
    Cost 720 dollars if upgrade to 1650, 72% argb, 16.1" monitor.
    It's even cheaper if you assemble your self.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Chilli_Chiia likes this.
  16. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I’m guessing that’s kinda cheap? Since good PCs and laptops are around $1500 or higher in Australia. I’m going to jb-hi-fi tomorrow so I need a laptop that’s from there. Because I’m currently deciding on either a MacBook Pro since they last 7-8 years and I can use it until I finish uni and a few years later on or a silver pro because it turns into a tablet but I can just use my part-time money to buy a decent tablet which will be under $700 but I can just stick to traditional art since HSC prefers it more than digital.

I currently don’t really need a gaming laptop of any sort as I want to focus on studying for my hsc and plus in using my older brother’s old gaming laptop. Although the screen becomes black mid game and it’s really slow, it’s okay.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    You have it tough if you want a clevo when clevo isn't really popular locally. I'm also really poor. But Personally I use wacom cintiq 16, but my primary laptop is still 6 years old lenovo y510p, it come with an pcie3.0 x8 slots. And 2 sata, and one ngff ssd slots.
    Pretty fun if you modified it with extra graphics cards, and tons of shits.

.. and Chilli_Chiia like this.
  18. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, I don’t want a Clevo, I was suggested it by @Cutter Masterson. All I want is laptop for school projects with decent storage. Right now, I narrowed it down to either a MacBook Pro or a Surface Pro but it’s leaning more towards the MacBook Pro right now since my school’s resources cater more towards Apple products, it has a 7-8 year lifespan and it’s storage is 256+gb. However, it’s a bit pricy. I’ll probably wait until next holiday to buy it since I don’t want my dad to use mostly his money to buy it. I want to pay at least half. But if you have any cheaper alternatives, please tell me.

19. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Clevo? Sorry I’m not very technical and I don’t remember recommending that one. I recommended a Acer.

20. Chilli_Chiia

Reading List:
    Link
    Then where did the Clevo come from?