Recommendations Isekai But Not to a Feudal Society or a Cultivation One Either

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by 8theaven, Jul 11, 2020.

1. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a lot of isekai's into medival worlds where it's a really typical trope having a feudal system or a cultivation world where there's 9 stages of cultivation where there's a bottleneck at the 3rd level and 6th level.

The same kind of power-system gets really boring and each MC I've read so far just tries to raise his cultivation level while provoking people who they shouldn't provoke and that frankly becomes really irritating.

I love isekai novels because I'm transported into a different world entirely. I miss that feeling of wonder and amazement in a new world. Just to be clear I don't dislike the idea of having kings, dukes, etc. I just can't stand that an entire character's worth comes from a title inherited by their parents or given to them by the kingdom. A world where the upper-class is ignorant of the lives of the lower-class where they live in a beautified bubble is what frustrates me. I don't like how being a noble somehow makes you "higher" than everyone else giving you the right to be a hypocrite.

Well I've said a lot about what I don't like so I'll add in a bit of something that I like:
    - MC who has companions because he understands that he can't do everything along
    - If possible: MC's enemies become his companions in the future.
    - If possible: A best friend is always welcomed!!
    - MC who has common sense. (My standards aren't too high for this. Just god please let him have common sense)
    - No Harem...unless it's a wholesome one like Mushoku Tensei
    - Everyone successful needs a little bit of luck but too much becomes really annoying plot armour
    - MC doesn't even have to be a human!!
    - Preferably quite long 500+ chapters or if the quality is really good 100+ works fine too.
    - The story is consistent: Ie. If the poisonous swamp kills anything make sure it kills "anything" and the MC can't just conveniently go through it
    - MC isn't arrogant as fuck
    Ie. Your dad is the president of America and your mom is the CEO of Google? Well let your grandaddy teach you a lesson *punches the shit out of him* I'm now banned from using Google and going to America? Time for them to learn a lesson.

Some novels that has an entirely new world that amazes me are:
    - Warlock of the Magus World
    - Tree of Aeon
    - Record of Unusual Creatures
    - Isekai Nonbiri Nouka

Some novels that have feudal systems and a great world, but executed well.
    - Lord of Mysteries
    - Throne of Magical Arcana
    - The Beginning after the End
    - Experimental Logs of the Crazy Lich
    - Mushoku Tensei
    - Crazy Knight's Age of the Universe
    - I Was Reincarnated as a sword

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    Practical Guide to Evil, although it's a fantasy not an isekai.

kipsta15390 likes this.
  3. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone who likes tree of aeon is a holy person

Im honestly in the hunt for something similar

But if you liked tree of aeons u will like Chrysalis as well if not more.
    Mc is re into an ant. His progress is slow, he doesnt have a thicc plot armor, his stupid actions have consequences, he has allies, enemies that turn to allies and ig pets can b called best friends. And mostly isnt a solo badass hes badass becuase of his collective efforts towards improving himself and his fam the colony
    There are no cop outs like if its poisonous mc will dig around the poison not b like " mannn i wish system would give me pouson resistance skill if i plow thro the poison swamp enough* - system proceeds to give him what he asked for - readers : surprised pikachu face

Ull love it
    Honestly idk for the rest
    But i recomend Reverend Insanity. Hes solo op baddy no friends etc but he had scrap for plot armor and he works hard to get to whete he is , every moment is breathless action and schemes. Fang yuan is daddy. Lemme step on u fang yuan

And reincarnation paradise is p good, ull need to use comrade mao cuz official translations are ballsack shit

kyoshijiro likes this.
  4. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

Hiwd u end up liking warlock?? I heard its everything ur NoT looking for
    Dont get me started on that generic ass of writing tales of gods and demons.
    The rest of ur list is eh cuz harry potter and rings dont belong w them othets

Lotm is master race
    Begining after the end was ruined by that retarded parasite thoty ass elf

I was gunna give re : as a sword a try but need ti get around to the fact it has very few ch

Anything harem is trash ofc

5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    So, if the novel doesn't negatively paint nobility and actually pays attention to the obligations of nobility, would you be fine with that?
    Because then it becomes not the character's worth coming from their title but their motivations and senses of obligation. It's mostly the Chinese novels that paint the rich and those of aristocracy as exclusively evil and ignorant of the masses, history isn't lacking nobles who actually cared. I am not supporting aristocracy here, just pointing out this detail.

6. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked warlock because he went through different worlds which led me to some of the best world-building I've ever read. I don't like his blind chase for immortality and I frankly think it's stupid. But how he goes to different worlds was what made it my most memorable one. You have a point on the Tales of Gods and Demons. I'll remove it looking back. Beginning after the end is good in the beginning but slowly went worse at the end. The author is trying too hard to show that the world doesn't have rights or wrongs, only differences. Re:Sword is typical, but it doesn't involve the boring route of adventurer becomes an S class which made it a cheesy fun read.

7. Fp401

Fp401 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SirZead and thesilvergunner like this.
  8. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

I agree
    Infact if u like world switching so much u will love reincarnation paradise
    I only didnt try warlock cuz i heard the charecter was just a sense less edgelord and there was a harem and even kids

9. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Trash of the Count's Family maybe...? It has what you like as mentioned above

10. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hell yeah! You are correct. It's just those novels where the MC's entire self-worth is based off their titles is what makes me disappointed and sad. Being borned into a noble family like a duke doesn't automatically make you amazing, but it's the title of the duke which gives you more responsibilities than everyone else. Upholding those expectations is what makes people respect you, not the other way around

kyoshijiro likes this.
  11. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried this but dropped it because I wasn't having fun reading it anymore. I might be wrong though so if I am please do tell me. :blobxd:

Yeah he's apathetic, the harem was only for convenience of spreading his bloodline. Leylin is a pretty sad MC once you take a step back but the world building is so good!!! :blobsmilehappy:

12. thesilvergunner

thesilvergunner Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You tell me first what makes you drop this, and the latest chapter you read.
    Like I said, it has what "you like":
    - MC understands very well that he's weaker than most people so he relies much on his companion (they're much stronger even until recent chapters, to me at least)
    - There's this one enemy leader that becomes his companion (I call that "unconscious brainwashing" seriously :blobjoy:) and turns out quite reliable at doing his jobs. It's mentioned in later chapter why/how this person got into that "recent personality" and MC knows that too
    - He's not naive at all and pretty pragmatic so don't worry about his common sense
    - There's not even an ounce of romance here
    - I don't know if this include as plot armor, but MC survives everything because using his brain to the fullest, thinking of every possibilities and even the backup plan if his plans ever fail
    - It's 582 chapters at the moment. Each chapter also pretty fulfilling, almost no unnecessary filler chapter
    - I could say the author never forgets tiny details... even detail from early chapters. The author is very meticulous (y)
    - Well he pretends to be arrogant. Remember the title ;)
    One more point: there's no unnecessary commoner-noble disputes

14. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsob:OH MY GOSH:blobsob:
    I read that as Trash of the Count's Family but my head remembered Common Sense of the Duke's Daughter. JSDJSJSJS
    I am not that bright right now :blobflag:
    Please forgive me!!!
    :blobshh:just keep this a secret pls!!
    Reading all of that makes me want to READ IT :blobnosebleed: SO BADLY
    It sounds very promising like a diamond hidden in the rough. wahahaaha :blob_ghost:
    U are da best for recommending this to me:blobuwu:
    Say what other novels are your favorite?

TXHY likes this.
  15. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    I also reccomend Chrysalis.

If its worldbuilding you like then i reccomend "The Card Apprentice". Works by the same author all seem to have great worldbuilding but weak endings, which is kinda sad.

Running Away From The Hero! (Remake)
    It hasn't had chapters in a while but its really funny and interesting. The mc has little to no plot armor.

Okami Wa Nemuranai
    Really good mc who is a veteran adventurer and warrior

My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending
    A great story, really reccomend.

I’m the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire
    Non medieval, but for the rest it toes the line of your requirements. But its a comedy that isn't too serious

I Came Back but the World is Still a Fantasy!?
    One of my favorite novels. Highly recommend.

Supreme Magus

Birth of the Demonic Sword

Superstars of Tomorrow

Magical Academy : Rise of the supreme magic craftsman

Got tired of descriptions, may edit them in later

16. Kyrin Fireheart

Kyrin Fireheart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're up for something similar to Re: Sword but with more comedy and what the fuck did I just read you should try Re: Vending Machine. klinH translates the web novel and there are I think 3 official novel translations out(though I really hate how they translate everything regardless of whether it has an actual English equivalent). Also, klinH has several really well-done originals that are written in a Japanese LN style though she's American(I think) without all the horrible overly done tropes.

I would also recommend, for a more serious side of things, Instant Kill. While it is a type of cultivation novel it is not anywhere near normal and the world-building is really interesting. You've got your creators, rune smiths and alchemist types, and your warriors and then the rare mix of the two. Pretty fun so far and the way the MC treats those around him is really great since he cares about them like an actual human being. They also teach him to cherish his supporters/followers as brothers since they live and die together.

And then there is my obligatory Toika novel recommendations. Can't go wrong with him. Asada Translations is doing his two newest works but it's currently on a hiatus due to his grandmother being very ill and apparently there's no internet there?
    And yes Trash of the Count's Family is really good. I also recommend it.

17. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ........... seriouslyy??? :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy:
    My current favorite?
    Dominion's End. Not isekai but more of parallel world and apocalypse. As expected of Yu Wo, good balance of humor and suspense + action.
    How to Live as the Enemy Prince. Only 55 chapters translated, but you can find MTL anywhere. Haven't read the MTL though so I'm still stuck in chapter 55. This seems have the same ambience/feeling/atmosphere(?) as TCF. Not transmigration into novel or coming into isekai though, but so far I do enjoy it.
    Saihate no Paladin. Reincarnation to isekai, but this has very fresh idea. MC is very OP for that world standard, but you won't even feel his OP-ness. Love both novel & manga adaptation (and it's very rare of me to like the adaptation of some novel as much as the novel itself)

And I second this:
    I haven't caught up with the latest chapter but this has good future prospect (y)

18. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Then Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich is up your valley. It has a few arrogant nobles here and there (they don't take up screen time)but most, and especially the mc, are the kinds of nobles who work towards bettering their own fiefs and countries etc.
    Though the beginning isn't about the mc's background and it comes much much later but when it does... that was both tear-jerking and amazing.
    All the other points you made check, except for the harem part as I haven't read Mushoku Tensei and have 0 clues on tf a wholesome harem is, nor do I want to know.

19. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    "Simulacrum" on scribblehub is also a great read. Whether its isekai is debatable. It also has what i would consider a good harem, and i hate harems.

20. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks like one perfect reading list. I've instantly bookmarked this forum just for this list. I came back but the world is still a fantasy is sounds like such an amazing plot to read. I've read a bit of Chrysalis and I've got to say it's quite something. I may want to pick this back up. Although these are all recommendations according to what I'm looking for, I just want to know what are your personal favorite novels?

HAHAHAHAHAHA I KNOW EXACTLY THE NOVEL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!! It's so over-the top What the fuck did I just read but Re:Vending Machine is one hell of a great masterpiece on par with I RE:Onsen. Instant Kill sounds so good!!! I've seen Toika's I log in alone on the manga websites but I always thought it was a Solo Leveling copy-cat. I might have to give it a try now :aww:

Experimental logs of the crazy lich is the freakin best. Read it all the way, no more translation? MTL TIME!!! I've even started reading the sequel as well and I've got to say this novel is one of the best. I could keep going about why Experimental logs of the crazy lich is one of the best novels I've ever read and will probably read in a very long time but I'm here to look for new adventures!! If you have anything like Experimental logs of the crazy lich please feel free to let me know!!
    I've read Saihate no Paladin's manga and it's definitely a breath of fresh air. It's a bit slow, but I love how real the characters are. Reading Dominion's End's summary gives me goosebumps already:blobfearful: I'm bookmarking Dominion's End 100%

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020