Discussion Is it racist?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JinVodka, Jul 12, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I just encountered someone pointing racism on a novel I read but I don't understand how racist it is...

This issue is how chinese women like flawless white skin. From what I know is natural, cause having light skin tone is a status for asian to being rich and living in luxury. Is jade beauty racist now?

A person is calling this racist for some reason. That this thought is racist itself for wanting to have light skin.

What's the connection? I only know women have tendency to change their appearance for beauty and not satisfied to their self. Wanting to curl their hair or rebond, turn their skin to lighter or tanning their skin. Does this idea means tanning is racist too? Then those Japanese gyaru are racist...?

I'm utterly confuse how it's racist. It's like how someone called orcs racist. Cosplaying black characters when your light tone is racist. Now even voice acting can be racist. Everything can be racist now, why are they offended for every single thing.? What is happening to people minds?

Kuroguma, Unsaltea, ru5ty and 11 others like this.
  2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Man if this person is calling out racism to that then they better avoid those novels where the writer mentions Japanese people. They might end up crying~

On a serious note in light of black lives matter maybe it’s kinda related to that how they only like light (white) skinned people~

3. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    The west due to excess luxury, convenience,and freedom have gone full retard,while the Chinese CCP laugh at the fall of western civilization without firing a single bullet because everything is going according to Keikaku,I deliberately said keikaku to piss them off.

Msuuuuuu, otaku31, Jiggy and 7 others like this.
  4. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might not want to read some chinise novel they racist af agaisnt blacks whites more to japanese ppl mostly i just ignore it but take note that it is there and that it is bad and i cant do anything about

ongoingwhy likes this.
  5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is with not seeing your natural skin tone as beautiful. This is a real problem where in some countries women put toxic substances on their skin in order to whiten themselves. It’s a problem of mindset. On the flip side, deliberately tanning yourself is also harmful to the body and can lead to cancer. The problem is that women feel pressured to change their appearance to be more “beautiful,” even when doing so is harmful to them. If society were more focused on women being beautiful just the way they are, this wouldn’t be a problem.

6. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    if u fart = its racist
    u sneeze = its racist
    u exist = its racist
    someone on twitter said it best.....the word racist can be comparable to ketchup....u can apply it on anything and it becomes racist....

Jiggy, Meloman, Liyus and 11 others like this.
  7. xxlhca

xxlhca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't think its based off racism. I'm pretty sure its more a wealth thing, the farmers get tanned and the people who do white collar jobs are white.

8. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    I told that person not read chinese novel to not get offended since they glorified jade beauty and some are racist to Japanese. But got called as some awful person since I'm fine with. Guess I'm awful for not seeing racism and not hating on racist.
    It the person commenting on a novel I read that pointing racism which I don't understand. Guess I'm too dense to even see racism.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  9. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I am SE Asian, meaning I have light to medium brown skin. I'm not fair or even pale skinned. I can confirm that there is a crazy obsession among SE Asians (or Asians in general) to whiten he skin coz it looks more beautiful and it signifies high status aka if you have pale skin, it probably means, you're (as in general you) rich. For the record, I am haven't used whitening products but many of my friends have tried. Some succeed, some failed. Some are still trying.

To be honest, I don't get why it is racist. There are people in japan and China (ETA: and Koreans, why did I forget Koreans?!) who are naturally pale and fair. Some of my countrymen are fair because they have drops of foreign blood. It would be crazy to call them racist if they inherited the genes. For those people who wants to whiten their skin, it;s their prerogative as long as they as they are aware of the risks involved.
    If the argument is about class, that I can get behind.

I would like to challenge this argument. If people aren't comfortable with their physical appearance, isn't their right to change it according to their desire as long as they don't put their selves in harm? I thought the West have this 'your body., your rules'' thing. I am not sure but I think plastic surgery could also be a good analogy. If you want to change your body, why shouldn't you have the right?

I have a feeling it was a person from the West who said it was racist...

Jiggy, Meloman, Nightow1 and 8 others like this.
  10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm.

Lemme explain.

The specific part/thing you've pointed out isn't racist.

But asian countries are indeed quite fucking racist in terms to skin colour. Tanned people are considered as 'ugly' simply for their skin color. And black people are directly racially discriminated against. Which often appears in novels in the form of 'only white skin is beautiful'. The situation is getting slightly better nowadays but there are still a lot of people that think like that.

See this video:

What Japanese and Western Women Think of Tanning

Fulminata likes this.
  11. senisa split

senisa split Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Western movements about racism is going overboard for sure, everyone lives matter. You can't change adults mindset easily. Like duh everyone lives matter, everyone is equal but just by simply protesting can't stop racism. Early education about racism is the one that they need to be protesting and that might have change everything in the near future.

That person who commented on that novel is probably those who just going with the trend.

asriu, Jiggy, tekinwillie and 5 others like this.
  12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's less racist and more Elitist.

Having white skin means you are in a position of power, where others will do work for you and as such you yourself wouldn't have to be exposed to the elements.

On another note: If people dive too deep, they will start finding that tanning is blackface or Hispanic face.

On another non-serious note: Jade I know is green. They're being racist to green Jade.

Kuroguma, Jiggy, Kirikaize and 4 others like this.
  13. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup that's problem with women that they are not satisfied about themselves they will go to extent of surgery to change their appearnce.

I think it's culture thing so I don't see racism here. They are not looking down on other race, they looking down on their self.

So I can't see racism on this topic from that what that person trying to convey.

seabuckthorn and Anra7777 like this.
  14. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to know how mainland Chinese are so fair and white
    personally I prefer fair skin but all I'm getting is a yellow tone under the lights in school
    is it the fluorescent lights?!

also, I would like to ask the commenter you mentioned how they thought wanting white skin was racist. is it the fact that they think only westerners can have white skin?

JinVodka and xxlhca like this.
  15. senisa split

Reading List:
    Link
    I think racism on most chinese novel is not about the skin but chinese authors tend to make themselves powerful than anyone else.

Nightow1 and Syash like this.
  16. xxlhca

xxlhca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same I'm chinese and i look orange like the orange man

I think they're rubbing off their melatonin lol idk I don't live there

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  17. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    owo time to check out skin whitening in the victorian era

18. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup asians are quite racist to one another.
    I watch on youtube how Japanese women think it's not sexual harrassment if it's handsome which shock me.
    People have tendency to glorify beauty but I don't think it have to do with race but primarily on culture. Though it might effect other race due to it.

19. senisa split

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Chinese and Koreans are two of the most racist in the asia.

JinVodka likes this.
  20. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's probably because the woke groupthink is that white is automatically racist just for existing so anything normally white or anyone wanting to be white (like asians and their cultural obsession with white skin) is automatically racist and the most evil thing ever.
    hell, woke have even declared chess racist because white goes first.

wow, thats.... i cant say im surprised nor do i think it's just a japanese thing. just look at 50 shades of grey.

asriu, tekinwillie, xxlhca and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.