Recommendations Any novels that you deem to be a masterpiece

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Alairia, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So yea, quarantine made me binge-read Lord of the Mysteries and now that I have caught to the recent chapters, I have nothing left to read now. Just recommend me anything you consider good, because I need to fill the void that Lord of the Mysteries gave me.

Thanks you, feed me any novels

Havisu likes this.
  2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    kingSlayer033, crazykat and Alairia like this.
  3. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
  4. CuberAzrael

CuberAzrael 『 Hymn of Gratitude』

Reading List:
    Link
    Alairia likes this.
  5. HafidzM

HafidzM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alairia likes this.
  6. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    if you cant find it with novelupdates just search on google and you should find a few sites with the completed novel. if you still cant find it then tell me and i'll send you a link

7. Mai Mee

Mai Mee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ This

*edit: nope, just read Lord of the Mysteries. Nothing compares. I've read many of what has been recommended here.

**edit2: I would recommend some of the classics, if you haven't read them: I Shall Seal the Heavens (completed) for a well-done xianxia and Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken for a well-done OG reincarnated-into-a-monster trope. And Overlord and Dungeon Defense, cause they're good.

For no romance I would recommend Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint (completed) and Trash of the Count's Family. Trash Count can be a bit boring once you're tired of the dynamic though. An honorable mention is Doomsday Wonderland (FMC). Not that great.

For villains-are-not-dumb-and-not-just-villains it's the aforementioned Reverend Insanity.

Lots of people who liked Lord of the Mysteries mentioned My House of Horrors. It's got lots of praises. I'm planning to try reading it soon.

Now for random mentions from looking at others. Zhu Xian is good? It's like an old xianxia, sometimes read as almost like a wuxia, if you know what I mean. It's different and interesting. For wuxia you have Romance of Dragons and Snakes. OK I guess. Reminds me of Ze Tian Ji. Different than normal xianxia in a way. Many say it's disappointing though. The anime adaptation of Youjo Senki was great; haven't read the novel. Konosuba was great; haven't read the novel. Oregairu was also great—its 1st season; didn't get past the 2nd season. Haven't read its novel. Mushoku Tensei is definitely an isekai classic, but I'm not sure if it is worth recommending. Its "romance" is kinda mehh. Two other classics would be Ark and The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. Those are the OG KR game novels. Some say they get repetitive, but I liked them both. Ark ended, so there's that; no need to worry that much. The King's Avatar is probably worth a try if you like game novels. Death Flag is the normal transmigrated into a novel as an XXX, time to make a harem in passing (but still be dense? idr) and show the world the great japanese culture. Pretty OK I guess. I'm not its target audience. Same reason I don't really wanna mention a lot of hyped up KR novels, the old and the new. If you like The Second Coming of Gluttony I suggest you head over to Royal Road and look for "lit-rpg". Dozens of its cousins there. The English should be good as well, cause it won't be a translation. Possessing Nothing plays on a similar concept of character growth. Pretty good? Those JP LN with anime adaptations... Well, again I'm not their target audience. They seem like they are for young Japanophilic straight guys with differing likes/dislikes for harem. I think Rakuin no Monshou (completed) was great. Liked it so much I stopped reading it cause of fear I'll finish it. That was a long time ago. Reminds me of another OG isekai, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari. Liked it a lot. Not sure if I'll think the same now. Heard great praises for The Girl Who Ate a Death God, same as the Legend of Sun Knight. Never got to reading them though. The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich was pretty good. Got tired of it when romance became involved. Speaking of Webnovel, there's also Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain. I think it was good? Not sure why I dropped it. Library of Heaven's Path was over hyped. At first I liked it, then it got repetitive and homophobic, so I dropped it. Running Away From The Hero! is a good comedic one. This I think I can recommend. Hopefully this long ass comment helps you think of what to read and isn't against some rules. I mentioned a lot of old things, but maybe you're already aware of them? haha

Again, nothing really compares to Lord of the Mysteries. The storytelling is great, it's got plot and therefore foreshadowing, feels moments, innovation (new theme + strength system), comedy, mystery, character growth, brain-not-dead "antagonists", and a long enough story to feel connected and even some nostalgia for me at the end. No romance is a bonus. (You can ship whomever you want!) Racism, sexism, and some trans things normal people wouldn't know about were brought up by the author showing they're not ignorant of these things also. (brought up but not focused, if you know what I mean; they just show it in passing? kind of?) Although it seems like it's written for a straight-but-not-ignorant guy, I think lots of people would like this.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hyoketsu, hmz and Alairia like this.
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Reak, Alairia and skyfall3250 like this.
  10. bidoblob

bidoblob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei

Reak and Alairia like this.
  12. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
    Akuyaku Reijou ni Koi o Shite

Alairia likes this.
  13. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    Alairia likes this.
  14. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
  15. hmz

hmz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alairia likes this.
  16. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei will always be masterpiece for isekai and adventures. You truly feels that adventure vibes. Time progression also feels real.

Sevens for character development. At first the mc is some fcking dull, naive and can even be said as a doll that have no feelings whatsoever. But as story progress the author shows that there's reason for why everyone except mc are full of personality, and how mc slowly gained his own personality back.

Alairia likes this.
  17. Alfha Robby

Alfha Robby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich (a Freaking Madlad who get screw up by fate itself, he's a Hero who was forsaken by the world despite being a kind hearted kid who listen the teaching of god of Light, although Roland is Over-Powered he mostly solve his opponent with deep Political & genius borderland Crazy Scheme while finish off his Opponent with overwhelming fire power)
    Virtual World: Peerless White Emperor (an artificial human who struggle to act human like, despite the early chapter about cliche Weak-Strong Virtual Reality MMORPG, MC is way Over-Powered in real life with more & more awesome of world building & side character development albeit the joke may become repetitive which is the only cons of this novel)
    The Legendary Mechanic (a Pro Gamer get send into the Past & live as NPC inside his favorite game, The Galaxy with tons of Cancerous Player that unexpectedly become MC's quick way to gain Strength, the first arc is weak to strong genre while gradually the MC will become Over Powered by the time the third Version of the Galaxy Updated, unexpectedly the story manage to avoid mass-info dump with more & More World Building albeit the only weakness of this novel is the Lack of Character development since the protagonist side already have a proper personality, also NO-HAREM).
    The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (typical Money Grubber MC who live in poverty & get exploited by typical Evil Capitalist although the joke become old & annoying the story is unexpectedly quite good since it range from Adventuring into Territory Management).
    About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me (a good Oneshot novel about reincarnate mc try to show his manliness toward the heroine)
    A Young Woman's Political Record (a fanfic of Youjo Senki about Tanya rise into Chancellor of Germania & lead it toward victory of Second World War)
    A Young Girl's Delinquency Record (a fanfic of Youjo Senki about Tanya Run Away from the Empire because the allied demand her to be blame for their defeat, this fanfic show us the rise of Underground Queen of Tanya which supply countless Colony of Western Power to revolt & illegally gain their resources via Neo-Colonialism)
    Kenji the Shinobi Craftsman (a fanfic about Naruto World become Xianxia CUltivation world because of Kenji the Reincarnator doing to obtain as much resources as possible).

by the way i'm not gonna recommend Novel made into Manga & Anime since it'll be too much to recommend like Overlord, re:Zero, Konosuba or yasei no last boss since other people already recommend it

Alairia likes this.
  18. joyshu

joyshu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/akuyaku-reijo-ni-koi-wo-shite/(one of the best romance i have read)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/altina-the-sword-princess/(mc who is extremely intelligent and creates masterful stratergies)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/breakthrough-with-the-forbidden-master/(not a masterpiece for now but hope after some more translation is done but extremely good about how everyone no matter how hard someone works if he has a famous parent compares them to their parents)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...-state-deficit-right-let-us-sell-the-country/(right now my favourite just read this you will understand why it is so likeable basically a misunderstood mc)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/magical★explorer/(not much to say it's very good if you want a ecchi novel where mc transmigrates into a mob character in the game but overshadows and builds his harem instead of the hero of the game)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-death-flags-show-no-sign-of-ending/(my favourite novel ever)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/pure-love-✕-insult-complex/(it's good but a r-18 novel and good harem where one doesn't fall in love with the mc in first sight and a bit about dark side of the world is also used)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/seirei-gensou-ki/(good isekai novel but read the ln and not wn since it is in hiatus and there is a lot of dragging in for 100's of chapter which is completed fast in ln)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tales-of-the-reincarnated-lord/(discontinued but is a great novel till where it is discontinued and has a ruthless mc)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-military-female-soldier-with-unwavering-stubbornness/(one of the rare good chinese novel)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-silly-alchemist/(another funny novel full of misunderstanding but one part of the story i hated the mc else it's good)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-villainous-daughters-butler-i-raised-her-to-be-very-cute/(a extremely good fuffy novel)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/when-girls-were-drugged-with-aphrodisiac-in-some-cn-novels/(short stories but is very funny)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/youkoso-jitsuryoku-shijou-shugi-no-kyoushitsu-e/(alongside my death flags my favourite novel)

19. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    On NU, Heaven Official's Blessing (BL).
    Haven't read a lot yet though.

20. little_toastie

little_toastie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link