Discussion Does anyone notice racism in some Korean and some CN novels???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by X-kun, Jul 19, 2020.

?

What do you think...

1. Yes, i've noticed some racism in some novels....

43 vote(s)
    93.5%
  2. No, I don't see it like that...

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X-kun

X-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    K at first i'm referring to the way Japan and Korea aren't in good terms and all but I just noted that 50~55% of the KR novels I read , starting with Solo Leveling where they always get into some competition specifically with the Japanese. At first I didn't mind but its becoming way too frequent and in some they(authors) put the Japanese in the bad light but with other countries its a friendly competition though not all novels just SOME.

And finally in CN novels i've noticed a few E.G The Legendary Mechanic where there were servers for respective countries and they just said that a guy from America who was a pro gamer just randomly came to the Chinese server and it said he had "The typical American arrogance" then he randomly started saying things on the Chinese forum like "Stupid Chinese" and "Chinese suck" seriously WTF????

I don't know if its only me noticing but i'll listen to your opinion on what you think^~^

2. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Understanding politics and history helps with that one.
    (Or, if you happen to be american: self reflection)

3. Nao Otosaka

Nao Otosaka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh....yes...the concept of racism does exist...it's not only on manga/manhwa/novel platform...but there are multiple fields which do discriminate based on one's roots. For example: KR idols tend to get more incentives than CN ones..u can the example of the EXO controversy where 3 of its members left the group in 2015...

Deleted member 125960 and X-kun like this.
  4. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeh, I especially see it in CN novels. As a chinese individual, I would say that Chinese people tend to have a level of internalised racism, they’re not necessarily doing it on purpose as a larger part of it is subconscious.

My grandparents are also slightly prejudice against the Japanese, largely due to the fact that they experienced the war between China and Japan and the cruelty of the Japanese army at the time.
    I don’t have any prejudice and I understand where the prejudice comes from
    But it does get Uncomfortable.

5. Mahapatih

Mahapatih Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's quite common, ever noticed there's so many Hollywood movies with Russian spies?

ongoingwhy, TXHY, Neelambori and 8 others like this.
  6. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are also many Chinese novels where Chinese martial arts are deep and profound while taekwondo is only a fancy dance. Karate and judo aren't very good either.

HafidzM and X-kun like this.
  7. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    They Chinese and some of the Korean don't like the Japanese because they got invaded at one point(probably that reason). Further, in case of China from what i know, their government doesn't like people criticizing them and so if you do that,they basically fck you over. If i am not wrong, they literally have a policy outlining such things.

Its kinda similar to how a lot of the Hollywood movies have Russian/Chinese spies.

01, HafidzM and X-kun like this.
  8. jgfenix

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference is that Russian spies aren't portrayed as stupid and incompetent.

01, PotatoZero and MonkeDanana like this.
  9. sonido

sonido Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Irony:D

runsing and X-kun like this.
  10. jgfenix

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you say that because Chinese martial arts don't perform very well in MMA?

HafidzM likes this.
  11. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Invaded is putting it quite... nicely. Japan raped and massacred its way trough Korea and China. And unlike germany their apology is more or less nonexistent. Calling the rape victims comfort women is a euphemism if I have ever heard one.

pirateking36, X-kun and jgfenix like this.
  12. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Pre-industrialisation, isn't that what getting invaded means?

ExcitableFoci and X-kun like this.
  13. Tennou

Tennou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In every country, history lesson is something the government took seriously, they want to cover some part of it and make their countrymen feels good about their own country, that's how patriotism and racism born, a part of them at least. It's natural for it to flow through in literature because admittedly their main audience is their fellow countrymen, the general people don't want to read something that talks bad about their own country especially in their own language.
    ...so let me say the golden words here : "If you don't like it, leave it" .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    runsing and X-kun like this.
  14. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, real life Chinese martial arts is ineffective. There are too many unnecessary movements, which can waste time and energy.

As for taekwondo, the basic kicks is effective, while the 360, 720 kicks, etc are ineffective. Taekwondo by itself is ineffective since it's too focused on kicks. Taekwondo is better used as a supplementary martial arts than a standalone martial arts.

Most effective martial art for fighting are Muay Thai for beating and Judo for grappling. In real life, Chinese martial arts is one of the most ineffective martial arts.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  15. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Racism exists also in some japanese novels. But this is rarer.
    Of course this is probably also present in other countries. This is an utopia to think there have zero racisms.
    Also, in my opinion webnovels, unlike novels, is easier to have racism.

TXHY and X-kun like this.
  16. X-kun

X-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah I had a Chinese friend who had some slight prejudice against the Japanese and I understand where you come from^~^

or Arabic terrorists yeah I have^~^

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    01, TXHY and Neelambori like this.
  17. Mahapatih

Mahapatih Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's probably because a few years back those webnovels authors wouldn't have known their work will be translated to English and read by people all over the world unlike Hollywood movies.

X-kun likes this.
  18. X-kun

X-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no im referring to the racism in some KR and CN novels plz don't misunderstand^~^

19. yorozuyaginchan

yorozuyaginchan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some authors think that they are getting revenge on Japanese war crimes by introducing racism and showing that anything Japanese is bad and Japanese people are savages and/or tyrants. Some examples are Japanese are shown as invading mindless monsters in Otherworldly Evil Monarch. Killing thousands of Japanese civilians is cool and considered as taking revenge in another CN cultivation novel. In My Beautiful CEO Wife , ML says that Indian army people are cowards that are vying for Chinese land and will do anything to conquer it whereas it's the other way round.

jgfenix and X-kun like this.
  20. X-kun

X-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and don't forget Arabic terrorists^~^

ikr its so disgusting to see authors justify their personal resentment by writing it in their work smh...

i guess .......so.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    jgfenix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.