I bumped my grandfathers car and owe him a ton of money now...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Jul 19, 2020.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was a bit displeased to find my grandfather visiting us today, but I figured I'd just stay in my room and not interact with him as usual. I don't hate the guy, but I just don't really know how to interact with him, so I just try to avoid him.

Anyway, to keep things short, he parked his car behind mine, and I my mother wanted me to drive her to the other house to get some stuff from the fridge. I forgot his car was there when I was pulling back and felt a thud. In the end, I caused a small crack in his bumper, which will cost probably around $2000 around here to fix. That's about half of what I'll make this year by working during the summer, so it kinda bites. Needless to say, that might just be the most expensive jug of milk I've picked up.

Anyway, I just kinda wanted to immortalize this moment in my memory so I made a thread about it.

Edit: another detail was that my mother was in the vehicle with me at the time, and my father was watching us get into the vehicle, and that we were waving at my niece in the window. Definitely my fault, but I didn't really pay much attention since so many people were around giving me a sense of security.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    imK and Fulminata like this.
  2. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See if the body shop can fix it instead of replacing it.

If it’s plastic they could probably just heat gun the crack and maybe some bondo then paint. Anyways 2000 is fucking ridiculous of a price for a bumper.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    imK, ongoingwhy, Alvastar and 2 others like this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You must have a big driveway if you had room to accelerate before ramming. Otherwise his car must be old and the plastic brittle from sun exposure.

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be ideal, but some important plastic connector bits did fall off so I'll be expecting the worst....

5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why everyone should know a mechanic.

I remember that my gran used to get stuff for like 1/3 the price cuz prices are inflated.

imK and Fulminata like this.
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Distance between vehicles was about 1.5 metres down a ramp.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If only you had avoided his car as skillfully as you avoid him...

imK, Ai chan, asriu and 11 others like this.
  8. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually just to be clear. What kind of car is it? How bad is the damage? Is there a god damn hole in the bumper or is it just split?

9. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Old Lady ♡〗〖High Acidity ♡〗〖Lethal ♡〗

Reading List:
    Link
    ask him if you can pay him back using your body :blobpeek:

sonido, Fulminata and UnGrave like this.
  10. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    ... 2000 dollars? approx 1.50 lakh rupees. A bumper fixed in 2000 Rs.
    About 26 dollars without tax.

11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Some crap van, and I'd say the damage is a split in two locations with deformation.

12. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously I was thinking it’d be some god damn high end performance car... yeah it shouldn’t cost more than a few hundred bucks.

Also depending if you need to spray it or not. Maybe 200-400? You can fix and repaint bmw bumpers for around 700 roughly.

imK and UnGrave like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you are right. Keep in mind that this is Canadian dollars I'm working with.

14. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah so it’s gonna be a bit higher than my usd quote. Anyways just get some estimates before settling on a shop.

Make sure they give free estimates! Ask or call ahead before going!

Also check the reviews!

imK and Sabruness like this.
  15. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask if you can pay him back in foot massages.

Fulminata likes this.
  16. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure I want to touch his feet. I think I'll just pay money to make my problems go away.

17. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why they're so valuable. I remember my grampa wanting foot massages back in the day. My mom brings my annoying little cousin over to her house almost weekly specifically to rub her feet.

18. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    2k $CAD for the bumper on a crap van? either your grandfather's bullshitting or the mechanic's seriously super overcharging.
    do what @Omnicast suggested. get as many free quotes as you can, check any reviews and do your research.

imK and Omnicast like this.
  19. Nai waa

Nai waa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tell everyone to pretend they didn't know about it. Then if your grandpa ask, just say you don't know anything in the most teary puupy-dog-eye face possible. Not like he has proof they you did it if nobody squeal on you. Also it's everyone else fault, too, for distracting you and not warning you so if you really have to pay, they have to help with the payment. Last, choice, guilt-trip you prarents into paying if for you.

20. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Visit at least three places. Some places focus on quality and charge 25-200% more than the average in the area. Others will focus on turnover and charge less, or quite a lot. If they can give you an itemized quote then you get a general idea and can Google one of the many auto-body forums around. You just need to supply them photos and keyboard technicians will line up to offer advice.

Fiberglass/plastic bumpers are the worst. Even deceptively small cracks can require a replacement of the entire item because of how they're made on the assembly line. So, even if you can do as @Omnicast suggested, the bodyshop might not want to bother with it. That's where you come back after the first quote and hit them with suggestions that you've researched based on other place's quotes.

Oh, and bring an older man with you if you can, even if they stand behind you and stay silent. I've noticed that some bodyshops quote more if you're a woman or nerdy-looking guy (i.e. me) than if you look like someone who regularly services their car themselves. Bringing along someone who looks competent prevents too much overcharging.

Then again, it might be worth it if you come back later with a lot of research. They might embarrassingly lower the price if they don't have much business that day just to get some.

imK and asriu like this.