Discussion ?!?!?why are harem novels so...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by solivagantsoul, Jul 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you stay away from the mind control tropes and the hard core smut, the smut with a story can be mildly entertaining. Tbh my preferred harem type are the ones that admit sex is a thing, but mostly fade to black. Sex is a part of a relationship, denying its existence is either so the reader can self-insert with their favorite wifu, or because the plot is more about misunderstandings and the drama is causes. In either case, the MC is destined for a case of blueballs no matter how much of a lucky pervert he may be.

solivagantsoul likes this.
  2. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.. that sometimes does happen, but I have to mention this. The reason harems are rare, is that only the most wealthy, most powerful men are able to have them. For a man of that level, as distasteful to say it.... those harem woman are pretty much just play toys or bargaining chips sold to him. Why would he have much respect for them?

Rickymex likes this.
  3. couchpotato1929

couchpotato1929 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually in post war time for ex most men would be wipped out so...... more women and children than sturdy men

and mostly wealthy men have a harem
    at least i don t see someone having hard time feeding his children being able to afford another wife and more children to boot

so yeah it s more a matter of wealth
    and being able to provide for everyone
    so even in times when it s legal to do so not everyone can afford it
    mostly the upmer class and businessmen maybe??

AncientFang and solivagantsoul like this.
  4. solivagantsoul

solivagantsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont get me wrong, i dont deny the sex or the smut. for me a story without it in a good amount is plain and lacking. but it isnt entertaining when every two three chapters it revolves around the same thing with zero plot. im not saying it would be a bad read, just not what im looking for

5. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem stories are written mostly for men, and their are few stories with good romance targeting male audiences. I don't know why this is. Maybe authors who are good at romance don't want to write such stories, or maybe male audiences aren't that into it. Anyways, that just seems to be the way it is.

6. couchpotato1929

couchpotato1929 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as for harem that work it s quite difficult
    women are jealous by nature and men are unable to balance favor with every one of the wives

so of course some will try to get a better life than the other
    and need to plot and seduce to live better
    it s pretty rare to have a fonctionning harem
    it needs a good first wife to rule the household and a balanced man who can create a good equilibrum between his wives and concubines

7. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually completely disagree with you. While do agree that any relationship requires work, it doesnt mean that having multiple partners of either gender precludes them from having a strong enough bond to become a family unit.

8. solivagantsoul

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you so much-i can only imagine how hard it is to translate, i dont blame them really. i just hope these kinds of books are more available globally.

9. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    @Femme Fatale
    Think your better person to field this one xD

10. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't deny that a trio could work, and even if it's a minuscule chance 4 people. But at what point does the man simply not have enough time to divide between women to form a strong enough bond?

Rickymex and solivagantsoul like this.
  11. solivagantsoul

Reading List:
    Link
    while women do tend to be jealous do remember that this would be an era where harems are the norm for them. like how different kinds of sexuality are nowadays a norm for us the polygamy was for them too.

12. solivagantsoul

Reading List:
    Link
    yes those harem novels are targeted towards maless due to the sexual content in it. it appeals to them more than the female readers,:censored:

13. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Many reasons. Libido, extenuating circumstances(twins, ect), a group of childhood friends that dont want to be separated, political... the list is endless. Tbh it is also about the iindividual's circumstances and culture. Most Americans see harems as a taboo because of our puritan religious dogma. That doesnt make either side wrong, they just hold different values.

14. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei. It is extremely long though, but it has the most realistic harem Ive seen so far.

solivagantsoul and Miserys_End like this.
  15. solivagantsoul

Reading List:
    Link
    as multiple people have mentioned its a political thing, since we are talking about the harems more commonly existing among nobility the women do have their uses not to mention just because it starts of politically it would not end up with feelings or reliance? these are people who have each others child and spend the rest of their lives with them. while yes the men are said to be out busy but compared to now where men travel across the world for months where would a few hours compare? not to mentioned the usually get married at early ages such as 13+ in which, yes, our mentalities can not compare but those are also the years of passion and when the mind in not yet ripe. Its way easier to form understandings if not love/affection during those ages and especially when everyone seems to have a 'role'. Do not use modern mentality to define them, every era has its own set of rules and possibly beliefs-at least in my opinion.

16. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This. You're basically asking authors to simultaneously write 2/3/4/etc good romance novels at the same time and then do all the interactions while keeping the deep lore of those characters as they interact with each other. That's a ton of work especially when you imagine how hard it is to write a single good to great romance story featuring only two characters in the first place

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that's quite correct. The main issue is that the translators who tackle Romance novels tend to be women and they gravitate towards books written for female audiences. Male translators don't really gravitate towards this kind of book so it's just yet another genre or sub-genre that's underserved. To be fair, seeing the number of people looking for books with ruthless/evil/asocial protagonists with no romance makes me think that there's a reason why translators do this.

That's right. And it happens too! You'd need a good writer to pull it off though.

AncientFang likes this.
  18. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i somewhat disagree. females read and likes as much sexual content as males do. just look at the BL or shoujo/josei genre. a lot of them have Adult or Smut genre accompanying the main genre. it is just not getting translated as much as the more mainstream, male-oriented genres. or maybe you're not in their circle, so you overlooked this.

AncientFang and Miserys_End like this.
  19. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on what you read, harem are quite enjoyable like Arifureta and Mushoku Tensei
    But i doubt any CN where mc keeps climbing up realms will have an enjoyable harem tho. Same with those beta MC

20. solivagantsoul

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree that its a lot to ask for but its not impossible, there are some really good reverse harem novels out there, i feel that writing harem novels is not a thing yet because people have not promoted it nor shown intrest towards it.
    im not asking the novle to be centered around that one topic, no it doesn't have to be. essentially it could be the harem added in as a background setting where its just who the male MC is with...do you get what im trying to say? like how they can have their friends/subordinates mentiones they can have their wives mentioned without the poisoning the constant hatred and all the dark stuff we are usually shown-again exposing a side of harems that is not usually shown, portraying the beauty of how the people in that era did it and lived with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.