Question Should I read Reverend Insanity?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Eskapisti, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Eskapisti

Eskapisti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately, I've been looking for a good and long novel to read and people always seem to praise Reverend Insanity and even say it's on par with Lord of the Mysteries (my favourite). The reason I haven't ever read it is because from what I understand, the protagonist is cold and emotionless. Antiheroes are fine with me but I can't really stand it if the MC is a complete, robotic psychopath. Like, does he develop any meaningful relationships during the story and is there more to the plot than something like becoming the strongest just for the sake of it or revenge? I don't think I've ever read a good story in which the MC is completely unfeeling.

Been eyeing the novel for a long time but never wanted to invest the time as there are so many chapters. Thanks.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Might want to skip this then.
    He's not a robotic psycho, it's more like he's playing with ants and him getting stronger is just not to be the trampled one himself, being forever above everyone. Not emotionless, just not any we can relate to, lol.

3. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn. Now I have some closure. Thanks.

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just think of this , person tries to bond with mc, mc uses them to gain something. Beauties? nothing more than feces after being eaten and pooped out by beasts (keep in mind he'd be the cause they'd get eaten most likely).
    Even Li Qiye in ED has more meaningful social interactions with others. (although Reverend does have a lot of depth, it's more distorted and dark. Imagine the writer going through an existential crisis and lashing out at typical MC tropes and communist society).

5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not that he is a psychopath or robotic but he experienced lots of rebirths (travel back in time) that he saw that most people he knows got bad intentions and evil goals which kind of made him only trust himself and aim to be the strongest, at some timeline he got a fiancée but because of time reset things kind of got complicated but he protected her tribe and made them live in his aperture, but yes it is about a guy whose personality became dark despite still having some human emotions :hmm:

Eskapisti likes this.
  6. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    It definitely doesn't seem like something I would like to read right now atleast. It just sounds like a depressing read while the time travel you described does make him a sound bit more human. Maybe I'll try this some time when I don't mind my mood being spoiled:D

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Except i'm at chapter 1560 and i have yet to read the part he mentioned, so that'd be very deep into the novel. And i do believe author was being censored by the government recently and paused the novel to rewrite some content, so it might not even reach the point where we're seeing him for how he truly came to be.

Eskapisti likes this.
  8. Seafall

Seafall Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof. Sounds like the regressions of YJH from ORV.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    All the more to reason for me not to begin reading then. Always sad to see a novel dropped, especially for something like censorship. My condolences to RI fans.:(

10. Knifewolf

Knifewolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you ever get tired of cliched novels and want something new. Then I recommend this. the mc actually struggles with increasing his strength in the beginning and gets by with his knowledge, experience, and schemes. the antagonists aren't there just so they can die either and are able threaten the mc. You won't be able to predict the plot either on your first read through. The world building is phenomenal as well.

Imperiestro and Eskapisti like this.
  11. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    "he continued to move forward relentlessly.
    I had once screamed, gradually, I lost my voice.
    I had once cried, gradually, I lost my tears.
    I had once grieved, gradually, I became able to withstand everything.
    I had once rejoiced, gradually, I became unmoved by the world.
    And now!
    All I have left is an expressionless face, my gaze is as tough as a monolith, only perseverance remains in my heart."

this described the MC really well, nothing will move him except his goal to immortality and he will do anything for it, people around him are either can or can't be used, and he doesn't care about worthless revenge, like those that coming after him in chapter 1, he never mentions wanting to revenge or anything about them.

12. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll keep your words in mind. The issue with these cold MCs, for me is that I can't really relate to them. I feel that they are empty and I can't feel happy or sad for them. Even if the story itself is written well and has many complex settings, it feels to me that it's just a well written narrative of how the MC struggles, fights, outsmarts and gets outsmarted but there is really no meaning to it all. I can't speak for RI though as I haven't read it and obviously, many people love it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Devil Heart likes this.
  13. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the comment. What is his endgame after reaching immortality? No one is anything to him. Does he atleast have hobbies or something he likes?

14. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, bask in the glory of Our Lord and Savior Fang Yuan XD

15. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    well, these things come after immortality for him, his endgame is immortality, if he can't attain immortality then nothing is matters, and his hobby is seeking immortality and he seems quite happy about it. lol
    on the 'meaningful relationships' while the relationships are not friendship or lover, the relations of seeking benefits, used and being used in the people around him and his group are quite interesting, new and well written, heck I preferred these types of relationship more than friendship and romance.
    but yes, this novel is not for everyone, and it's understandable if someone won't like it or can't understand it.

16. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw if don't have anything good to read then you can try My house of horrors.

Eskapisti likes this.
  17. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well he Isn't a serial killer type ..(he doesn't do it for enjoyment).

He's goal is to reach eternal, and he's learnt that anything that comes along the path should be dealt as bridges or obstacles...

He isn't unemotional, the author makes a scene especially for that notion, he is just determined on his goal.

he can love and he can hate, but he has seen past the screen of just affection and perception.

Personally, doesn't matter what type of mc you like... Reverend insanity is worth a try.

Would you ever search this much for a actual book fiction?...it won't get Spoiled this much without actually searching for one..

Anyway, if you like lord of mysteries and the like, this is a must...(Don't worry about the deeds, you'll get convinced why slowly)

18. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    He enjoys pursuing immortality...

In that way he's kind of an extreme masochist..

He finds it fun to pursue something impossible, and doesn't mind dying trying it for the journey itself was meaningful for him..

He's like a extreme sportsman, just that the whole path is one single intrinsic stunt.

19. Varsha0907

Varsha0907 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If u wanna try some different genre do give a shot to Banished to another world...i just read this recently...didn't expect that i would really come to like this since i don't really enjoy this system genre..but it was really good...well except towards the very end author kinda fucked up..but none the less...i binged read the whole thing in 4 days

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Eskapisti likes this.
  20. ceric_sulfate

ceric_sulfate Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the MC but his personality is very static. Makes sense because people don’t really experience character development at the age of 500, but it would be cool to see him do something out of character. After all, people aren’t robots, either. Otherwise, it’s a pretty good read

Eskapisti likes this.