Discussion Dropped novel, what chapter and why.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sleepingdepression, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepingdepression

sleepingdepression Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What novel have you spent a lot of time on to drop?

For example:

I dropped Martial God Asura at chapter 2508 because it was starting to get boring with all the repetition.

I guess this doesn’t count as dropping but imma include it cuz the series ended off in a weird manner, World Defying Dan God, I finished it even after the quality dipped after chapter 550, because I was bored and spent too much time on it(was at 2000s when I thought of dropping). In the end I finished but the story feels incomplete because some chapters are just code and one chapter is a completely different story on the two websites I used, also with the forced ending it seemed rushed like the author lost interest.

2. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    >Chapter 2000+
    >too repetitive

Mate I couldn’t even make it through the second map...

Honestly dropped quite a few but don’t remember where exactly. Most of the mm because they were too repetitive/cliched or racist. Or both.

3. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since i mostly read jp webnovels i usually drop them when its really unreadable to me, usually happens when the translator changes or when i was only just few chapters in. Bad story is one thing but readibility is the most important aspect for me

4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >dropped it after 2k chapters
    Not gonna make it

Dropped RMJI because I wanted to believe that it would be just as good as the early chapters. It's fucking boring now.
    It's the same with many others. They were wither boring, shit, both, or made me so fucking mad I drop it immediately while leaving an NU review with shit grammar because of how pissed I am.

5. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished reading TLOM and wanted to read another story of the author so I read 'Throne of Magical Arcana'. I dropped it in chapter 162 though, it just wasn't my taste. There's a lot of info dump and I didn't like how a certain lesbian character would suddenly turn straight for the MC.

Something I don't like about the author is that he's kinda harsh towards the LGBTQ+ characters in his stories. I noticed that most LGBTQ+ characters romance would turn into tragedy and they will most end up dying. :blobawkward:

AmethystCherry likes this.
  6. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    I have caught up to the latest chapter of Emperor's domination.(3058)
    [​IMG]

7. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm rather than calling it dropping... I'd call what i have done to more than 5 novels... Losing interest/not having the guts to finish.

The list:
    Sovereign of judgement(30 something ch before end. I can't watch mc die....).

Martial world(on second thought i did complete it but i can't remember the ending well).

True martial world(less than 30 ch before end).

Swallowed star(less than 150 ch before end).

The strongest system(50 ch. Got bored ah).

There are a few others i can't remember rn. Will edit list when i do...

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  8. ExQAlph03

ExQAlph03 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...
    In my case, it's because of me getting tired of it or getting lazy to finish it, like when I'm on chapter 1534 of this novel but I stopped because I want to wait for awhile since it's giving me a feeling that it will give me a major cliff, only for me to not continue reading it because there's too many chapters when I checked it again. Or there's this case when my preference changed, I think it's 2017? or earlier that I don't mind reading many of the different genre but around 2018, I started liking those light reads, relaxing etc. so I started abandoning those other novels of different genre.

9. sleepingdepression

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive read up to the 500s on like a dozen or two novels but i’ve only read a few over chapter 1000 and like all of them got dropped. I average 50-150 per novel if they have that many chapters.

10. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow I'm impressed. I tend to drop a story after 50 chapters. If I find it boring I tend to lose interest. I feel inadequate now...... 1000 chapters then dropping it. That's dedication.

Nirvananico and aaeiklm like this.
  11. That One Average Fellow

That One Average Fellow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Volume 20 of Legendary moonlight sculptor, felt tiresome to read and seemed like it was going nowhere.

deathcoy, novaes and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  12. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh you just have to be pick what you like to read and hope you find a nice one.

and if you start something, just drop it immediately if you don't like something because chances are, it won't get better and will only get worse.

dropped over 200 novels.

novels that gets boring = drop
    novels that get repetitive = drop
    novels where mc doesn't want to kill women = drop
    novels that have too many chapters (like over 2000) = drop
    novels that get boring = drop
    reincarnation novels where mc keep on doing stupid things = drop
    transmigration novels back and forth into urban and then starts killing people without repercussions = drop
    novels where mc have no friends and family = drop
    novels that feels like its going nowhere = drop
    novels where mc starts to do things out of character = drop
    novels where mc have double standards = drop
    long seperation = drop cus they will jus keep separating for some bullshit reason
    no romance (if you want) = drop cus the mc will never find romance
    mc has a partner at the start but he keeps meeting beautiful women and the author keeps on writing about these women altho it's not harem (or modern cus theres no harem in modern urban) = drop

idm nationality and racism, but if it pops out randomly or without warning = drop (cus it just makes no sense to have japanese people in a xianxia world like OEM)

idm novels where the mc keeps on going on and on to higher planes, but it has to be comedic like god level demon or similar hiliarious novels. but if it's just pure xianxia like invincible where there's no end in sight = drop cus it's a waste of your time to read such novels where the mc keeps on going to higher planes, piss off people and then repeat

novels where it's too dark and the mc constantly get the shorter end of the stick = drop
    novels where mc gets too lucky that even a fart will lead him to a treasure cave like invincible = drop (why even bother reading?)

novels where very little time has passed in hundreds of chapters = drop cus you know it's going to be several thousands chapters long and nothing important or very little events has passed.....why bother?

novels where time is important but time is "stretched" = drop (night ranger)

comedy novels that doesn't stay funny = drop (sacred world/perfect world)
    novels that tries to be mysterious by not telling you what's going on but ends up being boring = drop (sacred world)
    wish-fufilment is fine, but it needs an end. not 3000 chapters (AST) = drop

novels where the joke is repeated over and over again and then you get a shitty ending (AWE) = drop

mmo novels that doesn't make sense = drop
    mmo novels where it's full of combat logs = drop
    mmo novels where the RL doesn't get mentioned or seldom = drop (i guess every mmo novel now since the new regulations)
    mmo novels where the mc just keeps on going ahead without pause, throwing everyone under the bus. again, no family/friends/relationships = drop cus why bother? just read the last chapter and you won't miss anything. if you say the journey is important, go read a summary instead then. (theres no need to read 5000 chapters of legendary mechanic)

also tournament emperor (talisman emperor) = drop
    i fart = OH A TOURNAMENT
    i eat dinner = OH A TOURNAMENT
    i go to the market = OH ANOTHER TOURNAMENT
    i sleep = a new tournament awaits you!
    i go to a new city = A NEW TOURNAMENT AWAITS THEE!
    i go the capital = for the DRAGON PHEONIX TOURNAMENT
    i go to the big 5 saint land = WIN TOURNAMENT FOR CLUE TO PARENTS DISAPPEARANCE.
    i go to BIG & BETTER PLANE = need to save passerby by winning tournament
    follow parents clue = need to win tournament to find my original family housekeeper uncle newphew son's babysitter

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  13. sleepingdepression

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with most of these, although I prefer things with a lot of chapters, it’s so painful to read things like when MCs don’t kill females, I’m just like bruh, they can come back and kill you and you LET THEM GO??? I think novels with OP protags are cool but some go too far, tournament coming up? Legendary Artifact that clears your meridians and advance your cultivation and body tempering. Fiance in trouble? MC just happens to find a weapon that can kill the offender in one shot??? There are so many instant drop novels. Thanks for sharing some things that need a drop the second they appear.

animefan217 likes this.
  14. joyshu

joyshu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't know if i am the only one.i drop more then 90% of cn novels normally as they have too much racism or too repitive and i don't like that they have thousands of chapters(it will take years for a translator to fully translate and majority are crap but they may be fun for some time for example my wife is a beautiful ceo it was fun for about 800-900 chapters then got bored and dropped).i don't like novels with cultivation as they have too similar plots with small differences.there are gems like atg or heavenly jewel change.
    one of the rare jp novels which i started reading long time ago and forgot(they changed the cover so i thought different novel) is nidome no yuusha and i still don't know why up till now i dropped it two times after just reading 3 vol

15. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree and i too like novels with alot of chapters.
    the novels i am referring to where there are too many chapters are those with thousands and thousands and chapters.

usually most novels end when they reach 1000-1200ish and only novels with no end go further. these might end but come on, anything with more than 2000 chapters is usually full of BS like infinite planes and stuff and then the author ends it cus hes bored and gives us a crappy end

16. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, that's a lot glad you could let it all out lol
    though I agree with most of what you said

17. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i have a list of dropped novels but it's too long to post here

i also read alot of raws because translators aren't good at picking novels. for example, many of WW novels are in that list. invincible, awe, talisman emperor are novels that they talked up so much but was so disappointing

RPS is also one novel that was talked up a ton of their translators but got really, really bad. on the other hand, red envelope group of the three realms which a ton of people shat on, is much better because it is clearly stated that it is comedic and the author didn't started writing nonsense halfway.

even after 3000 chapters, red envelope still going strong while red packet server went into the shithole after 400 chapters. even the MC was teleporting around the city with no shits given by the author.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    novaes likes this.
  18. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The vast majority of those who claim to be lesbians are just bisexuals who don't like men. The same could be said about many dudes who claim to be gay. Moreover, I doubt that the author stated that this character was a lesbian, maybe only that she liked women. If she then started to like MC then it should be obvious that she is bi.
    So MC is going to die in the end? I'm so glad that I dropped this story after the first chapter. It was the first webnovel ever that I dropped so fast. The first chapter was ridiculous and made me puke. MC was bullied because his mother is a retard and he himself not better.

19. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah... Talked to my friend a few days ago and he told me the ending is awesome... And the story is great compared to most other novels available here... So imma continue reading n finish

20. EllaRiverLynx

EllaRiverLynx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not dropping but not moving forward either: Lord of the Mysteries, somewhere in the middle of Volume 3
    I was so fast consuming the first two volumes, but this one is too boring for me. They're on a One-Piece type of adventure across the seas, but apart from a scary island with scary post office and hotel, the rest is like a snoozefest to me. I didn't read this novel to read about pirates, but there it is, it happened. Somehow I wish I could skip this arc so I can continue smoothly to the next, because this is legit an amazing work, but the way it was written was that all the things and people that the MC encounters are Chekov's Guns. It's frustrating.

deathcoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.