Discussion Work vs School

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Negiomi, Jul 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the life of a working adult even more stressful than that of a student? Everything is moving so fast, and I don't really know what to expect.

2. no preservatives allowed

no preservatives allowed Well-Known Baker【nuffies please appear】

Reading List:
    Link
    as someone that doesn't know what to expect when you work because I'm still a student, I don't know what to say because I'll be biased due to only experiencing one of them XD

3. TouchMeLikeASpaceBar

TouchMeLikeASpaceBar [Innocent]

Reading List:
    Link
    Would depend heavily on the job no?

Jibs, imK, PomeloCloud and 9 others like this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both; schoolwork is most stressful. :blobpeek:

5. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Both are stressful but I'm biased to school cuz I'm still a student

Negiomi likes this.
  6. jinstan98

jinstan98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, i want to be a student for as long as i can, i'm afraid of working and being a real adult :c

Negiomi likes this.
  7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Working adult has a problem in that you lose a big chunk of time in an optimal part of the day to hang out and have fun.

Other than that, it can be a lot of fun to earn money on your own merits. Of course, you'll need to find a job that requires creativity and not rote movements.

imK and Negiomi like this.
  8. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Work is only as stressful as you make it. Some people like to make everything into a crisis and for them, work is stressful. Other people do their job, go home and live their life. These people understand that they are a cog in the machine and it is not their job to be stressed out over something they have no control over.

Negiomi likes this.
  9. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. Being a student is typically more stressful for several reasons including: chores, finding time to hang with friends, developing hobbies/extracurricular activities, homework, and a part time job. Deadlines and heavy workloads can induce a lifelong trauma causing middle age adults to wake up in cold sweat remembering that an assignment was due or that they flunked an exam only to remember they graduated decades ago.

With that said, it also depends on what you compare it to. If a person simply works their job, goes home and does next to nothing, then it is not very stressful. This sort of bachelor life certainly can't compare to a family that has to deal with the stress of raising children. For the stress that children receive from work, parents receive some stress as well watching over children, helping them with homework, and driving them to work/soccer/etc. They also have to balance the budget, look at future investments (i.e. college funds) and deal with emergencies (medical or even busted a/c or car). The only relief is that whole families can share the burden between two parents, but the stress factor definitely increases greatly for single parents.

One thing you do have to consider is that stress is not something we can accurately measure, nor is it something you can compare between two people. The reason behind this is that everyone has different experiences and different tolerances to stress. A person with an A-type personality and is used to the hustle and bustle of life will cope with stress better than a laid back person who is suddenly thrown into a mess. Thus, while parents do live a relatively stressful life, the stress is mitigated by their years of living/experiences and the fact that they have more control/planning over things. For students, this stress is often new and can be difficult to cope with, and unfortunately it can leave them with lasting mental scars.

Thus, I'd have to say that while it is difficult to compare the two different stress levels between work and study, students have it harder due to their inexperience and young developing minds

orematcha, Jibs, imK and 10 others like this.
  10. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, yes and hell yes.
    You deal with a lot of shit when working, both collegues that mess up and clients that are trying to squeeze you for everything you can give, sometimes even illegally or illogically.

At school, unless project work, you are only dependent on one person, yourself, so if you screw up, the only one affected is yourself too but at work, you can get screwed for other people's actions, not only mistakes. For example, you're going off work when your boss suddenly dumps work he has been sitting on for the whole day because he completed it only at the last second. Sure, no skin off his back, he finished in time to go home but you? Sudden OT. Was in a mistake? No. Did your boss do wrong? No, he squeaked in under the deadline. You? You're screwed.

Clients? They'll tell you how to do your job, even to the point of criminal stupidity. I'll illustrate with a real incident. A client demanded an architect firm give him an open space in the office floor he owned. Cursed and swore whenever he was told he could not, complete with insults. As for the reason why the firm could not give him his "open floor"? "Sir, that is the main building support column you want to hack down."... God help you if you have to deal with a committee. Someone will have a design that he lost to the consensus and behind the scenes he'll give you instructions for his design while the committee gives you other instructions from the front. The irony? The loser is authorised to give you instructions. So you get 2 official conflicting sources of instructions.

imK, Coffea to Ell, mir and 7 others like this.
  11. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful::blobfearful: Is there no way to a reasonable solution? Can he not get thru his head that it would collapse??

Coffea to Ell likes this.
  12. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Every job has its ups and downs. Included the job of being a student.

The trick is to find something you are passionate about and turn it into your job. If you enjoy your work, it is easier to laugh at life’s insanities.

imK, Passerby and Negiomi like this.
  13. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, you'll have more responsibility with growing up. most people does what they hate for money, and use money to do what they love. so find a balance with work and your hobby to avoid stressed

Nightow1, Nyamsus and Negiomi like this.
  14. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if taking art commissions counts as work but it's definitely more fun for me as it pays for my hardwork also I like drawing:hmm: but it's probably not the kind of work you're referring to (there can be many kinds of work)

Coffea to Ell and Negiomi like this.
  15. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say yes, because as a student if you fuck a course, you can just do it again.

As an adult if you fuck a task or a project, you can lose the job, and if that job is your only source of income, well... and that without taking into account the working environment, that it could be nice or be hell

imK, Coffea to Ell, mir and 2 others like this.
  16. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Dealing with Asshole privileged customer is dam worse then having schoolwork
    since schoolwork only bore you to death
    those asshole not only stress you out,, you need to keep calm face and still treat them with some manner(while your inside is blazing)
    and worse if they are your regular customer(who fucking come and show contempt everytime they come)

imK, Coffea to Ell, Negiomi and 3 others like this.
  17. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to work about 12 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week in a restaurant as a teen. So life kinda got into easy mode when I stopped doing so and worked less hours.

Perspective is subjective. It will only be worse than school if you never went through worse things. Or expect something unrealistic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    stressful?
    nah~
    you just have more responsibility as an adult~
    beside you can also have both title~
    a student and a working adult~
    now that what this cat call stressful~

Coffea to Ell and Lurking like this.
  19. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that school has a more... Clear unwritten rules than work. Like, you don't really need to suck up to the boss to pass your math exam at school; you could do it with pure skill. But in work, the one who'll get the job might very well be that co-worker of yours with a middling technical skill yet close to the boss. Office politics kinda suck.

In school, you can get stuck in a grade and simply repeat it again next year. In work, when you're out, then you're out. And if you don't get a new job soon, you'll die of hunger :blobcry:
    It'll get worse if you quit because of some sort of problem with the employer. Some businesses have connections with each other. The HRD of a potential firm could simply call your old employer to know your track record and his assesment of you.

In school, you might have to pull an all-nighter for a project; but once you're done, it's done. Maybe you could take a day off school the next day if you feel too exhausted.
    In work, it's the same. Except that you're expected to come on time the next day if your pitiful yearly leave quota has been used up, or if there's a really urgent meeting, or if there's an urgent job to do, or if you need to meet clients, or if your boss aren't satisfied with your said work and ask you to redo it.

In school, you got a fixed schedule of comings and goings.
    In work, it's pretty much the same. Except if you often got loads of work and you gotta stay from morning till another morning, the office is practically your second home.... Or if there's an afterparty or lunches or weekends agendas or clients wedding or boss/clients/client's child birthday or urgent call in the middle of the night on Sunday asking you to submit your work asap. :blobdead:

In school group projects, you can simply tell the teacher about that friend of yours who didn't do a thing. In work.. You might very well write a 20 pages of report alone and have your boss only add 1 paragraph, yet the paper will somehow stated that your boss is the main author and you are but a mere co-author/ co-counsel. And you can't really do a thing (well, you can. But it's such a slow and draining process that might ended up with you outta job)

But again, it depends on the kind of job that you do:aww:! I practically work like a slave, but I'm loving my pays. If you do something that you love and excels at, i imagine that work could take you muuch farther than school, and it's definitely much more rewarding than school (since you're paid for your work, not paying someone to give you more work :blobsmilehappyeyes:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    imK, Coffea to Ell, mir and 3 others like this.
  20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are assuming he can think. People like Donald Trump unfortunately are not rare in business. They think that they can get everything they want with no trouble if they just threw a big enough tantrum. Unfortunately the world does not work that way.

Fulminata likes this.